    jerk? I'm getting awfully tired of seeing all that junk crap posted here,
    in what's generally been a fairly "clean" newsgroup.

    -Howard

    Howard, Apr 27, 2005

  2. Howard wrote:
    > Is there any way (other than using a kill file) to get rid of this "amos"
    > jerk? I'm getting awfully tired of seeing all that junk crap posted here,
    > in what's generally been a fairly "clean" newsgroup.

    Have you tried using "killfile" capabilities of your news reader? Mozilla
    (that's what I'm using now), for example, has this "Create Filter From
    Message" thing where you can specify how to ignore (delete) messages from
    certain users, with certain words in the subject, etc.

    Victor Bazarov, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Howard

    Howard Guest

    "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > Howard wrote:
    >> Is there any way (other than using a kill file) to get rid of this "amos"
    >> jerk? I'm getting awfully tired of seeing all that junk crap posted
    >> here, in what's generally been a fairly "clean" newsgroup.

    > Have you tried using "killfile" capabilities of your news reader? Mozilla
    > (that's what I'm using now), for example, has this "Create Filter From
    > Message" thing where you can specify how to ignore (delete) messages from
    > certain users, with certain words in the subject, etc.

    <Sigh> Yeah, I've done that now. It's the first time I've had to resort to
    that, though. I was hoping for some way to keep that dork out of here
    altogether. Oh, well, whatever works, I guess...

    Thanks,
    Howard

    Howard, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Howard wrote:
    > [..]
    > <Sigh> Yeah, I've done that now. It's the first time I've had to resort to
    > that, though. I was hoping for some way to keep that dork out of here
    > altogether. Oh, well, whatever works, I guess...

    "Resort"? You make it sound like it's a method to "keep" him "out of
    here". It's not. It's a way to keep him hidden from _you_ only. And
    you don't have to advertise that you're using that method. I see some
    folks post their "Plonk!" replies, which I've sorta done myself, but since
    then I've changed my ways and think that it has no effect on the offender
    and is childish waste of bandwidth and a feeble attempt to squeeze the
    last word in.

    I've seen reports of people _resorting_ to contacting the offender's
    ISP in an attempt to keep him "out of here". That's something that must
    only be done after careful consideration. Otherwise, use your killfile
    as you see fit, and I honestly don't care to know about it (nor will I
    advertise the contents of mine).

    Victor Bazarov, Apr 27, 2005
  5. hmm, I am using google newsgroups, are you people using some other
    means to communicate in the group?

    puzzlecracker, Apr 27, 2005
  6. Howard

    Alvin Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > Howard wrote:
    >> Is there any way (other than using a kill file) to get rid of this "amos"
    >> jerk? I'm getting awfully tired of seeing all that junk crap posted
    >> here, in what's generally been a fairly "clean" newsgroup.

    > Have you tried using "killfile" capabilities of your news reader? Mozilla
    > (that's what I'm using now), for example, has this "Create Filter From
    > Message" thing where you can specify how to ignore (delete) messages from
    > certain users, with certain words in the subject, etc.

    I use knode. Do you how I could do this?

    Thanks,

    --
    Alvin

    Alvin, Apr 27, 2005
  7. Howard

    Howard Guest

    "puzzlecracker" <> wrote in message
    > hmm, I am using google newsgroups, are you people using some other
    > means to communicate in the group?

    Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird are two that I know of. Undoubtedly
    there are more. (My ISP provides the news server.)

    -Howard

    Howard, Apr 27, 2005
  8. Alvin wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote: [..]
    >>Have you tried using "killfile" capabilities of your news reader?
    >>[..]

    > I use knode. Do you how I could do this?

    Nope.

    Victor Bazarov, Apr 27, 2005
  9. OT: is there any way to get rid of "Howard"?

    Is there any way (other than using a kill file)
    to get rid of this "Howard" jerk?

    E. Robert Tisdale, Apr 27, 2005
  10. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Re: is there any way to get rid of "Howard"?

    "E. Robert Tisdale" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any way (other than using a kill file)
    > to get rid of this "Howard" jerk?
    > I'm getting awfully tired of seeing all that junk crap posted here,
    > in what's generally been a fairly "clean" newsgroup.

    What the f*ck's your problem?

    Howard, Apr 27, 2005
  11. Re: is there any way to get rid of "Howard"?

    Howard wrote:

    > E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    >
    >>Is there any way (other than using a kill file)
    >>to get rid of this "Howard" jerk?
    >>I'm getting awfully tired of seeing all that junk crap posted here,
    >>in what's generally been a fairly "clean" newsgroup.

    > What the f*ck's your problem?

    Thanks Howard. You just made my day. ;-)

    E. Robert Tisdale, Apr 27, 2005
  12. Howard

    > Howard wrote:
    >
    >> E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there any way (other than using a kill file)
    >>>to get rid of this "Howard" jerk?
    >>>I'm getting awfully tired of seeing all that junk crap posted here,
    >>>in what's generally been a fairly "clean" newsgroup.

    >> What the f*ck's your problem?

    > Thanks Howard. You just made my day. ;-)

    ?So...I guess you like that spam amos has been posting? Or maybe you just
    like being an ass?

    Oh well, I don't need your crap on top of that spam. Bye.

    *PLONK*

    Howard, Apr 27, 2005
  13. Howard

    Phlip Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > Oh well, I don't need your crap on top of that spam. Bye.
    >
    > *PLONK*

    Been there done that, Howard!

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand

    Phlip, Apr 27, 2005
  14. Howard

    Old Wolf Guest

    Re: OT: is there any way to get rid of "Howard"?

    E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    > Is there any way to get rid of this "Howard" jerk?

    Many Australians have been wondering the same thing for years..

    Old Wolf, Apr 28, 2005
  15. Howard

    Alvin Guest

    Old Wolf wrote:

    > E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    >> Is there any way to get rid of this "Howard" jerk?

    > Many Australians have been wondering the same thing for years..

    huh?

    Alvin, Apr 28, 2005
  16. Re: OT: is there any way to get rid of "Howard"?

    http://www.pm.gov.au/

    E. Robert Tisdale, Apr 28, 2005
  17. Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > Howard wrote:
    > > Is there any way (other than using a kill file) to get rid of this "amos"
    > > jerk? I'm getting awfully tired of seeing all that junk crap posted here,
    > > in what's generally been a fairly "clean" newsgroup.

    > Have you tried using "killfile" capabilities of your news reader? Mozilla
    > (that's what I'm using now), for example, has this "Create Filter From
    > Message" thing where you can specify how to ignore (delete) messages from
    > certain users, with certain words in the subject, etc.

    hello, i use netscape 4.78, would i have to just do filter, like i would
    with email. or do you know of any other way that netsacape could use a
    killfile. John P.

    John P. Streetman, Apr 28, 2005
  18. Howard

    Russoue Guest

    What is the nntp server of Usenet?

    Russoue, Apr 28, 2005
  19. Howard

    lilburne Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > Is there any way (other than using a kill file) to get rid of this "amos"
    > jerk? I'm getting awfully tired of seeing all that junk crap posted here,
    > in what's generally been a fairly "clean" newsgroup.

    I don't see any 'amos' in here. news.individual.net must filter the spam
    at source.

    lilburne, Apr 28, 2005
  20. Howard

    Alvin Guest

    E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

    > Alvin wrote:
    >
    >> Old Wolf wrote:

    >>>Many Australians have been wondering the same thing for years..

    >> huh?

    > http://www.pm.gov.au/

    lol!

    --