OT: Is this Comeau's real site is is it a phishing scam?

noloader

Hi All,

Comeau has been offline for some time. Recently, it came back and I'm interested in picking up a copy of their latest compiler.

Though the site is up, its a mess. It looks like something phishers with English as a second language would put up (perhaps the phishers would be a little more professional).

Additionally, the site uses a Paypal account for online transactions. There is talk of accepting checks, but there's no address provided. Perhaps they want a scanned electronic copy?

Finally, they are using a Gmail account rather than a domain account.

Can anyone confirm if this is the real Comeau site? Has anyone done business with Comeau with expected results?

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey Walton
Baltimore, MD, US

Victor Bazarov

Comeau has been offline for some time. Recently, it came back and [..]
Finally, they are using a Gmail account rather than a domain account.

So? They claim it's better than the old e-mail addresses. Can you say
"benefit of the doubt"?
Can anyone confirm if this is the real Comeau site? Has anyone done business with Comeau with expected results?

I can't confirm, but I would expect that somebody from them could. Have
you *tried* e-mailing them? What have you got to lose?

Here is some info from their registrar's record:

Comeau Computing
91-34 120th Street
Richmond Hill, NY 11418-3214
US

Administrative Contact:
Comeau, Greg (e-mail address removed)
Comeau Computing
91-34 120th Street
Richmond Hill, NY 11418-3214
US
(718) 945-0009 fax: (718) 441-2310

noloader

Comeau has been offline for some time. Recently, it came back and [..]
Finally, they are using a Gmail account rather than a domain account.

So? They claim it's better than the old e-mail addresses. Can you say

"benefit of the doubt"?
Well, I could but I won't. Phishers - and their confidence scams - are very cunning a persuasive.

If it is a scam, what am I supposed to say when my account has unauthorized transactions or has been locked out/cancelled?
I can't confirm, but I would expect that somebody from them could. Have

you *tried* e-mailing them? What have you got to lose?
Isn't that like asking the drunk if he's drunk? How do you think a phisher would answer that? Do you expect a scammer to say its a scam?

Jeff

woodbrian77

Hi All,

Comeau has been offline for some time. Recently, it came back and I'm interested in picking up a copy of their latest compiler.

It looks real to me.

This is from the site

"So hello! In reality we did not go anywhere, just that we've been
on a roller coaster between proprietary projects, other projects,
life, the economy, etc. and it's been an interesting ride to say
the least. The ride's been a long story you can read about in our
forthcoming memoir as it won't be detailed here"

That sounds about right. I could write a similar book.
In 2003 I was broke from having invested all my money in
the company. With the help of a rabbi I moved in with a
96 year old woman. She had two small dogs that she never
let outside. Part of my rent was picking up after the
dogs. I also fixed her coffee in the mornings. I wasn't
a coffee drinker at the time and didn't know how to make
it. Her expressions when she drank it told me not to
apply at a coffee shop.

Anyway, don't blame me I didn't vote for Bush or Obama.
I tend to think our last decent president was Eisenhower.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - In G-d we trust.
http://webEbenezer.net

Jorgen Grahn

Comeau has been offline for some time. Recently, it came back and
I'm interested in picking up a copy of their latest compiler.
Though the site is up, its a mess. It looks like something phishers
with English as a second language would put up (perhaps the phishers
would be a little more professional).

http://www.comeaucomputing.com/

Don't remember the site from before the blackout, but I see no
evidence the author has English as a second language. Quite the
opposite -- it looks like what an US programmer would write if he was
in a hurry, wasn't in love with current web technology and, perhaps,
isn't fit for a career in advertising.

Also there are signs he's used to typesetting his documents with LaTeX

(Of course there are other signs that the site is legit, as others
remarked.)

/Jorgen

Jorgen Grahn

It had the famous Comeau Online Compiler!

Yes, I know -- it's hard to be interested in C++ and not be aware of
the Comeau compiler or the online version. I just hadn't used it
myself.

/Jorgen