[OT] It all looks scary coming back

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Minti, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Minti

    Minti Guest

    Sometime back I used to be a regular to this group, I was helped by
    many of the people in this group, Ben pfaff, Dann Corbit, Dan Pop,
    Lawrence Kirby, CBF, Programmer Dude and Richard Heathfield I remember
    you all, I missed you all, I would like to thank every regular for
    helping me when I needed you all. When I was a regular I always
    thought that I would stay a regular here, however since I have not
    been posted much in this group everything looks "scary" again pretty
    much the like the first time I posted in this group. I guess I feel it
    more frustrating because I have not been doing much of C these days. I
    blame myself and my academics for this they have included subjects
    like VB in our curriculum and I can't spend much time on doing what I
    love to do. I don't know if this is true for many students in
    academics however. I just wonder weather I should leave my student
    life one of these days. Any guidence please?

    Thanks once again to all who helped me.

    --
    Imanpreet Singh Arora

    imanpreet_arora AT yahoo DOT co DOT in

    Minti, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Minti

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Minti <> wrote in message
    > Sometime back I used to be a regular to this group, I was helped by
    > many of the people in this group, Ben pfaff, Dann Corbit, Dan Pop,
    > Lawrence Kirby, CBF, Programmer Dude and Richard Heathfield I remember
    > you all, I missed you all, I would like to thank every regular for
    > helping me when I needed you all. When I was a regular I always
    > thought that I would stay a regular here, however since I have not
    > been posted much in this group everything looks "scary" again pretty
    > much the like the first time I posted in this group.

    Why does it look 'scary'? Rather than being 'scared', I find
    it very comforting that I can come here and get such good
    quality assistance with C.

    > I guess I feel it
    > more frustrating because I have not been doing much of C these days. I
    > blame myself and my academics for this they have included subjects
    > like VB in our curriculum and I can't spend much time on doing what I
    > love to do. I don't know if this is true for many students in
    > academics however. I just wonder weather I should leave my student
    > life one of these days. Any guidence please?

    Only you can decide that. It's not my profession,
    but I consider myself a perpetual student (in all
    things).

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Minti

    David Rubin Guest

    Minti wrote:

    > [...] When I was a regular I always
    > thought that I would stay a regular here, however since I have not
    > been posted much in this group everything looks "scary" again pretty
    > much the like the first time I posted in this group.

    Fortunately for you, the same topics keep getting recycled year after
    year after year...You probably haven't missed much.

    /david

    -- unknown

    David Rubin, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Minti

    Minti Guest

    "Mike Wahler" <> wrote in message news:<_A81b.1995$>...
    > Minti <> wrote in message
    > > Sometime back I used to be a regular to this group, I was helped by
    > > many of the people in this group, Ben pfaff, Dann Corbit, Dan Pop,
    > > Lawrence Kirby, CBF, Programmer Dude and Richard Heathfield I remember
    > > you all, I missed you all, I would like to thank every regular for
    > > helping me when I needed you all. When I was a regular I always
    > > thought that I would stay a regular here, however since I have not
    > > been posted much in this group everything looks "scary" again pretty
    > > much the like the first time I posted in this group.

    > Why does it look 'scary'? Rather than being 'scared', I find
    > it very comforting that I can come here and get such good
    > quality assistance with C.

    I guess since I have not been programming much for quite some time
    now, I am just down with confidence :-(.

    Minti, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Minti

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Programmer Dude <> wrote in message
    > Minti wrote:
    >
    > > Sometime back I used to be a regular to this group, I was helped by
    > > many of the people in this group, Ben pfaff, Dann Corbit, Dan Pop,
    > > Lawrence Kirby, CBF, Programmer Dude and Richard Heathfield...

    > Whoo Wee!! I made the majors! (-:

    What's your bitting average? :)

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Aug 21, 2003
  6. Minti

    Bill Godfrey Guest

    Programmer Dude <> wrote:
    > Whoo Wee!! I made the majors! (-:

    I'm still in the minor league I see. Is a small joke about the supply of
    round brackets going to be my sole contribution to the world? (-: :)

    Bill, "1974-2061 RIP. He would have got SQL if it was more like C."

    Bill Godfrey, Aug 22, 2003
  7. Minti wrote:

    [snip]

    > I guess I feel it
    > more frustrating because I have not been doing much of C these days. I
    > blame myself and my academics for this they have included subjects
    > like VB in our curriculum and I can't spend much time on doing what I
    > love to do. I don't know if this is true for many students in
    > academics however. I just wonder weather I should leave my student
    > life one of these days. Any guidence please?

    People tend to do better at what they love to do.
    I myself faced a choice of whether to get a computer science
    degree or stick with C programming, and I chose to stick with C,
    primarily because I hate OOP, and I would have had to do a lot of it
    to get a degree.
    I have no regrets.

    --Steve

    Steve Zimmerman, Aug 22, 2003
  8. Minti

    Greg P. Guest

    "Minti" <> wrote:
    | academics however. I just wonder weather I should leave my student
    | life one of these days. Any guidence please?

    Well I can relate to your current feelings. When I young pup in school
    getting my bachelor's in Computer Science I was ecstatic about the chance to
    learn programming, figuring I would write the next Grand Theft Auto
    instantly, never realizing how hard programming is.

    I made some changes to my classes and jumped into C programming before all
    the other programming courses. At first I thought that it was a pain in the
    ass and a deprecated language. The course didn't offer much in ways of
    anything beyond console printing and file I/O. Once the class finished, I
    tried to search out other means of learning the whole, complete C language
    during my break. I began to get a hang of pretty much everything (not that I
    could write an efficient program, I just had the theories conquered). I
    bought a lot of text books (all the good ones). After school continued I was
    placed in a C++ course which I enjoyed: learning about objects and
    templates.

    When I came back again, VB was being taught....then it was java...etc, etc,
    etc. I lost all my contact with C and C++ by that time and couldn't even
    remember how to write the simplest of programs. A couple years went by, with
    C/C++ books piled very high on my bookshelf, completely forgotten. I didn't
    even have the time to read one (to recap) if I wanted, due to the workload
    of being a fulltime+ student.

    I stuck through school, and by the time I graduated, I could create an
    awesome database model, Windows network, Linux install, presentation as a
    project manager....but I could not write a solid program.

    I promised myself that once I graduated I would spend my free time on the
    books, and I did. It took me months to rekindle all the old information that
    I had previously learned years before. I am still hitting the books
    (advanced now) trying as hard as I can to become a sponge. I stuck with it
    and am now writing my own libraries, Linux/Win32 games, etc. I am at the
    ripe old age of ((2 << 4) - 12) and figure I will stick with it for many,
    many years to come.

    Again, I was in the same position you are in. My advice to you is stay in
    school. If you can spare the time, find exercises in C/C++ books to build up
    your experience. The longer you spend on programming, the longer you can
    retain it without having to look back into the books.

    I also came back to this newsgroup and comp.lang.c++ to find a bunch of new
    people helping the "newbies" out. It was weird at first, seeing the same
    damn questions (no offense to you guys learning =P) posted day after day.
    The only reason I came back to offer what (little) help I can to those
    needing it was due to my thanks to those that helped me years ago, and
    trying to return that favor to the new beginners who I hope will eventually
    come back and do the same.

    Be logical in your convictions about school and remember that C/C++ will
    always be here (contrary to what jack-ass trolls claim occasionally).
    Personally, I don't give a shit about .NET, VB, Java, C#, and all the other
    plethora of languages being tossed at the poor, confused consumer in these
    current times (though I am fond of ASM and D (www.digitalmars.com/d). Even
    if I do take a break from C or C++ I will know it's there when I come back.
    So should you. =)

    Best hopes,
    Greg P.

    Greg P., Aug 22, 2003
  9. Minti

    Shill Guest

    > I am at the ripe old age of ((2 << 4) - 12)

    20 is old?

    Shill, Aug 22, 2003
  10. Bill Godfrey wrote:

    >> Whoo Wee!! I made the majors! (-:

    > I'm still in the minor league I see.

    Yeah, well, work on that SQL stuff.... :-|

    > Is a small joke about the supply of round brackets going to be
    > my sole contribution to the world? (-: :)

    I've been trying to do my part to balance things! (-:

    Or I suppose I could frown more often... :-(

    --
    |_ CJSonnack <> _____________| How's my programming? |
    |_ http://www.Sonnack.com/ ___________________| Call: 1-800-DEV-NULL |

    Programmer Dude, Aug 22, 2003

    This week--due to that $%*#@ virus, not so good. ;-(

    Programmer Dude, Aug 22, 2003
  12. Minti

    Greg P. Guest

    "Shill" <> wrote in message
    | > I am at the ripe old age of ((2 << 4) - 12)
    |
    | 20 is old?
    Indeed considering the young age of some people I have helped in forums. I
    started programming late (17-18ish). I have much catching up to do with all
    these old farts =P

    Greg P., Aug 22, 2003
  13. Greg P. <> scribbled the following:
    > "Shill" <> wrote in message
    > | > I am at the ripe old age of ((2 << 4) - 12)
    > |
    > | 20 is old?
    > Indeed considering the young age of some people I have helped in forums. I
    > started programming late (17-18ish). I have much catching up to do with all
    > these old farts =P

    I started programming *in C* at your age, but my "career" in
    programming at all is much older. I think I wrote my first shoddy
    little BASIC programs on a Commodore 64 at the age of 9 or 10.

    "I am lying."
    - Anon

    Joona I Palaste, Aug 22, 2003
  14. Minti

    Greg P. Guest

    "Joona I Palaste" <> wrote in message
    | I started programming *in C* at your age, but my "career" in
    | programming at all is much older. I think I wrote my first shoddy
    | little BASIC programs on a Commodore 64 at the age of 9 or 10.

    Ah, BASIC, me too! I wrote a game(?) of flashing lights (colored bouncing
    circles, lines, dots) in QBASIC on a 386 20mhz at 10. I'm too young for
    commodore I believe =P

    Greg P., Aug 22, 2003
  15. Minti

    goose Guest

    9.co.uk.invalid (Bill Godfrey) wrote in message news:<20030822050546.533$>...

    <snipped>

    > round brackets going to be my sole contribution to the world? (-: :)

    not "sole" ... afaics u have contributed the ascii-art star wars
    evil empires fighter ships as well :)

    goose,
    may the source be well-defined

    goose, Aug 22, 2003
  16. Minti

    Minti Guest

    "Mark A. Odell" <> wrote in message news:<Xns93DF65587A186iiiCopyrightMarkOdel@130.133.1.4>...
    > (Minti) wrote in
    >
    > > academics however. I just wonder weather I should leave my student

    > Weather involves wind, rain, snow, temperature.
    > Whether was probably the word you wanted.

    I guess it is just the case that the Weather is not fine. Student days
    seem to be too Weathery ;).

    Minti, Aug 22, 2003
  17. Minti

    CBFalconer Guest

    Programmer Dude wrote:

    > Bill Godfrey wrote:
    >
    > >> Whoo Wee!! I made the majors! (-:

    > > I'm still in the minor league I see.

    > Yeah, well, work on that SQL stuff.... :-|
    >
    > > Is a small joke about the supply of round brackets going to be
    > > my sole contribution to the world? (-: :)

    > I've been trying to do my part to balance things! (-:
    >
    > Or I suppose I could frown more often... :-(

    Just yell :-()

    --
    Chuck F () ()

    CBFalconer, Aug 23, 2003
  18. Minti

    rzed Guest

    Greg P. wrote:
    > "Joona I Palaste" <> wrote in message
    >> I started programming *in C* at your age, but my "career" in
    >> programming at all is much older. I think I wrote my first shoddy
    >> little BASIC programs on a Commodore 64 at the age of 9 or 10.

    > Ah, BASIC, me too! I wrote a game(?) of flashing lights (colored
    > bouncing circles, lines, dots) in QBASIC on a 386 20mhz at 10. I'm
    > too young for commodore I believe =P

    It's not too late!

    "Commodore 64 Makes a Comeback
    Popular computers, games from the 1980s will be relaunched."

    --
    rzed

    rzed, Aug 26, 2003