OT just a rant

Mike D

I have been asked by my boss to evaluate one of my predecessors
applications. The application is more than 3 Gig on disk, 250+ tables in MS
SQL. I have yet to run into a page that names the fields in a select
statement all Select * and multiple recordset objects per page. Of course
with that much code I haven't seen all pages yet. No variable declaration,
no comments one page I found had "ScriptTimeout=30000." FRAMES, FRAMES,
FRAMES one page has 14 NO SH**.

I am expected to give a timeline stating how long it will take me and one
other developer to turn this into a viable application. The only answer I
can come up with is A REAL LONG TIME!

Mike

Ray at

I feel your pain Mike... It's hard for people on the other side to
understand what that means, assuming your boss is not a programmer.

Ray at home

TomB

Dear Boss,
Here's my evaluation of my predecessors application: it blows.
To turn this into a viable application I will have to discard everything
that's there and start anew. Unfortunately, since you've already been using
it, I will not only have to start from scratch, but will have to figure out
how to get the data you've already put in, into the new application.

This project I suspect will take X months. I believe the process could be
sped up by purchasing me a Ferrari and a beachside bungalow in (insert
country here.) With these items I should be able to work without
distractions and have a quality product for you.

Thanks
Mike

Chris Hohmann

TomB said:
This project I suspect will take X months. I believe the process could be
sped up by purchasing me a Ferrari and a beachside bungalow in (insert
country here.) With these items I should be able to work without
distractions and have a quality product for you.

Now I know who is responsible for moving all our IT jobs overseas! ;-)

Roland Hall

Mike D said:
I am expected to give a timeline stating how long it will take me and one
other developer to turn this into a viable application. The only answer I
can come up with is A REAL LONG TIME!

Using 'before Hell freezes over' might give you ample time to complete it.

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.