OT: Legal Image and Sound clip use question

VooDoo Dolly

I have posted high and low in legal forums to no avail. As a last resort I
am hoping the wise and great site developers can provide some sage advice
with my legal question.
I am developing a website with a picture of Howard Dean on the opening page
and it plays the infamous Dean Scream when accessed. If I go ahead and try
to sell something on this site is that an inappropriate use of the image and
voice? If so can I get around it? I haven't posted the URL because I do
not want to spam but I will if it is germane to the reply. Please don't
slam me too hard if it's a blatant violation since I know Nothing about
copyright law. Thanks for your time.

The Doormouse

VooDoo Dolly said:
I am developing a website with a picture of Howard Dean on the opening
page and it plays the infamous Dean Scream when accessed. If I go
ahead and try to sell something on this site is that an inappropriate
use of the image and voice?

Did you take the image and record the voice?

Even if you, by some miracle, had been there, yes, the use is probably
inappropriate.

The Doormouse

Kurt R. Todoroff

I have posted high and low in legal forums to no avail. As a last resort I
am hoping the wise and great site developers can provide some sage advice
with my legal question.
I am developing a website with a picture of Howard Dean on the opening page
and it plays the infamous Dean Scream when accessed. If I go ahead and try
to sell something on this site is that an inappropriate use of the image and
voice? If so can I get around it? I haven't posted the URL because I do
not want to spam but I will if it is germane to the reply. Please don't
slam me too hard if it's a blatant violation since I know Nothing about
copyright law. Thanks for your time.

Assume that no copyright laws existed. I would not use somebody else's image,
voice, or intellectual property without their clear consent. These items
belong to that person, with or without legal backing.

I do not subscribe to the flawed notion that public figures (government,
entertainment, business, etcetera) relinquish a certain amount of privacy as a
consequence of their celebrity. This is a morally bankrupt way of saying "I
want to profit from invading somebody else's privacy but I still want to feel
good about myself at the end of the day, even if my actions bring harm to that
person."

Kurt Todoroff
(e-mail address removed)

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.