OT linux

WebcastMaker

Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.

Thanks

Mark Parnell

Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.

I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe Mandrake
is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me. :)

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/

Feliks Dzerzhinsky

I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe
Mandrake is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me.
:)

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/

I'll second that We're running Mandrake in all our offices and have
been doing so for over 3 years. Support can be at at
alt.os.linux.mandrake

Leif K-Brooks

WebcastMaker said:
Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.

Any way I can count you as my convert? I only have 1.5 of them so far,
and I need more. :)

I use Fedora: <http://fedora.redhat.com>. And Knoppix
(<http://knoppix.org>) is always good as a live CD, of course.

mbstevens

WebcastMaker said:
Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.

Thanks
Slackware. You'll have to learn to edit text files and read scattered
documentation. But it's *absolutely* stable once you get it configured.
If the extra computer has space limitations, I'd suggest using
Slackware based Vector Linux. This month's Linux Format has Slackware 10
disks.

James Smith

Feliks said:
I'll second that We're running Mandrake in all our offices and have
been doing so for over 3 years. Support can be at at
alt.os.linux.mandrake
I'll third it, Mandrake is the ideal for the beginner.

Jeffrey Silverman

Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit...

Not just Google it, but in what way is this possibly on-topic? There are
a gazillion Linux newsgroups

alt.linux
alt.os.linux
comp.os.linux
not to mention *.linux.distroname.* for redhat, slack, deb, mandrake, etc.

Go there. Post there.

Leif K-Brooks

Mark said:
I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe Mandrake
is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me. :)

I tried it on once, but nothing seemed to work right. To be honest, it
felt worse than Windows 3.1.

Of course, this was on a really crappy box that's surprised me many
times when what was clearly a software problem turned out to be a
hardware problem. I should probably try Mandrake out on better hardware
some time... it might turn out to be pretty good.

mbstevens

Leif said:
I tried it on once, but nothing seemed to work right. To be honest, it
felt worse than Windows 3.1.

Of course, this was on a really crappy box that's surprised me many
times when what was clearly a software problem turned out to be a
hardware problem. I should probably try Mandrake out on better hardware
some time... it might turn out to be pretty good.

That extra fat in distros like Mandrake, Suse, and Fedora make them easy to
install on the average box, but if you have some piece of hardware they
don't know about then you have to start editing configuration files.
I suggest Slackware if they won't install -- it has a reputation for
teaching users how Linux is configured -- a minor education. Then you will
be able to get fat distros running on your machine (*if* you still want
to) because you'll know what configuration files to edit.

WebcastMaker

Not just Google it, but in what way is this possibly on-topic? There are
a gazillion Linux newsgroups...

Hey, bite me. I have known most of the people that have responded for
over a year years now, I trust their judgement. I know who the good one
are and who the assholes are. (Note to self, new addition to asshole
list...)

I said right up front this was off topic, that's that the "OT" means.
It's to late anyway, I am downloading Mandrake tonight. Thanks all!
And Leif, yes, you can count me as your convert. (0_o)

Sam Hughes

Not just Google it, but in what way is this possibly on-topic? There
are a gazillion Linux newsgroups

alt.linux
alt.os.linux
comp.os.linux
not to mention *.linux.distroname.* for redhat, slack, deb, mandrake,
etc.

Go there. Post there.

Last time I checked, this newsgroup was about HTML discussion, not
discussion on what is on topic in this newsgroup. Please post your
discussion of that sort perhaps in the news.* directory.

Jeffrey Silverman

I said right up front this was off topic, that's that the "OT" means.
It's to late anyway, I am downloading Mandrake tonight. Thanks all!
And Leif, yes, you can count me as your convert. (0_o)

Sorry. I always thought OT meant "ON" topic.

And personally, I prefer RedHat/Fedora

Jules

Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.

Personally, Slackware's nice (and people keep on telling me good things
about Debian). Hate RH9 & Fedora; far too bloated and sluggish for their
own good.

Depends on what sort of things you want to do of course.

If you want a graphical desktop environment then I'm not sure what current
flavour of the month is. Experience of Gnome is that it's a total disaster
and broken as hell behind the scenes; I'm not sure if KDE's any better
(latter certainly looked quite slick when I had a go on it the other day
on a system running Slackware 10, and far more responsive than Gnome).

If you want to run server-side stuff (Apache / PHP / Java etc.) then of
course you don't need a desktop environment at all, and maybe a simple
window manager suits better (I was a great fan of Afterstep, but don't
know what state it's in these days). Or maybe no graphical environment
whatsoever suits you.

I remember the good old days when a distribution came on about 30
floppies - it was law that you'd get 99% of the way through an install
and then find a corrupted disk :)

seeya

Jules

Feliks Dzerzhinsky

Personally, Slackware's nice (and people keep on telling me good
things about Debian). Hate RH9 & Fedora; far too bloated and sluggish
for their own good.
Haven't tried slackware, I'm not sure debian is a good choice for a
linux newbie. RH, Fedora and Mandrake do tend to have too much in their
default installations. The trick is to not install what you don't need.
Or, second best, remove it when you find you don't need it.
Depends on what sort of things you want to do of course.

If you want a graphical desktop environment then I'm not sure what
current flavour of the month is. Experience of Gnome is that it's a
total disaster and broken as hell behind the scenes; I'm not sure if
KDE's any better(latter certainly looked quite slick when I had a go
on it the other day on a system running Slackware 10, and far more
responsive than Gnome).

I've used both KDE and gnome. As new versions come out KDE has become
very slick looking and feature-rich, but it also has become more of a
resource hog and slower. Gnome didn't give me too much problem. Wasn't
as fancy as KDE, but it was faster. Currently, I am using XFC4 as a
desktop. Easy on resources and easy to configure as well as being
fast and stable.
If you want to run server-side stuff (Apache / PHP / Java etc.) then
of course you don't need a desktop environment at all, and maybe a
simple window manager suits better (I was a great fan of Afterstep,
but don't know what state it's in these days). Or maybe no graphical
environment whatsoever suits you.

I remember the good old days when a distribution came on about 30
floppies - it was law that you'd get 99% of the way through an install
and then find a corrupted disk :)

ROTFL Oh yes, I remember them well.

--
Iron Feliks
++++++++++++++++++++

Jim Higson

I've used both KDE and gnome. As new versions come out KDE has become
very slick looking and feature-rich, but it also has become more of a
resource hog and slower. Gnome didn't give me too much problem. Wasn't
as fancy as KDE, but it was faster. Currently, I am using XFC4 as a
desktop. Easy on resources and easy to configure as well as being
fast and stable.

This contrasts with my experience, for me each recent version of KDE has
been faster than the previous on the same hardware. Sometimes that's at the
cost of higher ram use (preloading etc), but sometimes just improved code.

I have an Athlon XP 2000-ish and a generic GeForce 4. The setup is about
20months old now, but (partly thanks to Resier4 filesystem and Linux
software RAID) still feels faster than new windows machines I play with.

Toby Inkster

Mark said:
I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe Mandrake
is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me. :)

I am a somewhat experienced Linux user (been using it since 1999) and have
tried a few different distros, but now use Mandrake for both desktop and
server -- it's simply the best out there as far as I'm concerned.

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

Toby said:
I am a somewhat experienced Linux user (been using it since 1999) and have
tried a few different distros, but now use Mandrake for both desktop and
server -- it's simply the best out there as far as I'm concerned.

Nah. You want something that works - Fedora Core does just that :)

But hey, at least we both agree on one thing, that we're not using
Debian ;-p

TTFN

Paul