    Webcasting for free
    http://www.webentations.com
    http://www.webcastmaker.com (CBT)

    WebcastMaker, Sep 17, 2004

  2. WebcastMaker

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:29:07 -0400, WebcastMaker <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
    > download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
    > some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.

    I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe Mandrake
    is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me. :)

    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Sep 17, 2004

  3. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:36:38 +1000
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:29:07 -0400, WebcastMaker <>
    > declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where
    > > can I download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But
    > > I know some of you use it, and I would rather see what you
    > > recommend.

    > I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe
    > Mandrake is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me.
    > :)
    >
    > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/

    I'll second that We're running Mandrake in all our offices and have
    been doing so for over 3 years. Support can be at at
    alt.os.linux.mandrake

    --
    Iron Feliks
    ++++++++++++++++++++

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, Sep 17, 2004
  4. WebcastMaker wrote:
    > Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
    > download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
    > some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.

    Any way I can count you as my convert? I only have 1.5 of them so far,
    and I need more. :)

    I use Fedora: <http://fedora.redhat.com>. And Knoppix
    (<http://knoppix.org>) is always good as a live CD, of course.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 17, 2004
  5. "WebcastMaker" <> wrote in message
    > Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
    > download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
    > some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.

    I prefer Debian: http://www.debian.org/distrib/cd

    Chris Finke

    ---
    I'll send you a gMail invite if you sign up for a free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=9228418

    Christopher Finke, Sep 17, 2004
  6. WebcastMaker

    mbstevens Guest

    WebcastMaker wrote:

    > Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
    > download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
    > some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.
    >
    > Thanks

    Slackware. You'll have to learn to edit text files and read scattered
    documentation. But it's *absolutely* stable once you get it configured.
    If the extra computer has space limitations, I'd suggest using
    Slackware based Vector Linux. This month's Linux Format has Slackware 10
    disks.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com

    mbstevens, Sep 17, 2004
  7. WebcastMaker

    James Smith Guest

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:36:38 +1000
    >Mark Parnell <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:29:07 -0400, WebcastMaker <>
    >>declared in alt.html:
    >>

    >>>Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where
    >>>can I download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But
    >>>I know some of you use it, and I would rather see what you
    >>>recommend.
    >>>

    >>I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe
    >>Mandrake is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me.
    >>:)
    >>
    >>http://www.mandrakelinux.com/
    >>

    >I'll second that We're running Mandrake in all our offices and have
    >been doing so for over 3 years. Support can be at at
    >alt.os.linux.mandrake

    I'll third it, Mandrake is the ideal for the beginner.

    James Smith, Sep 17, 2004
  8. On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:29:07 -0400, WebcastMaker wrote:

    > Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
    > download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit...

    Not just Google it, but in what way is this possibly on-topic? There are
    a gazillion Linux newsgroups

    alt.linux
    alt.os.linux
    comp.os.linux
    not to mention *.linux.distroname.* for redhat, slack, deb, mandrake, etc.

    Go there. Post there.

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Mark Parnell wrote:
    > I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe Mandrake
    > is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me. :)

    I tried it on once, but nothing seemed to work right. To be honest, it
    felt worse than Windows 3.1.

    Of course, this was on a really crappy box that's surprised me many
    times when what was clearly a software problem turned out to be a
    hardware problem. I should probably try Mandrake out on better hardware
    some time... it might turn out to be pretty good.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 17, 2004
  10. WebcastMaker

    mbstevens Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >> I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe Mandrake
    >> is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me. :)

    > I tried it on once, but nothing seemed to work right. To be honest, it
    > felt worse than Windows 3.1.
    >
    > Of course, this was on a really crappy box that's surprised me many
    > times when what was clearly a software problem turned out to be a
    > hardware problem. I should probably try Mandrake out on better hardware
    > some time... it might turn out to be pretty good.

    That extra fat in distros like Mandrake, Suse, and Fedora make them easy to
    install on the average box, but if you have some piece of hardware they
    don't know about then you have to start editing configuration files.
    I suggest Slackware if they won't install -- it has a reputation for
    teaching users how Linux is configured -- a minor education. Then you will
    be able to get fat distros running on your machine (*if* you still want
    to) because you'll know what configuration files to edit.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com

    mbstevens, Sep 17, 2004
  11. WebcastMaker

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
    > > download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit...

    > Not just Google it, but in what way is this possibly on-topic? There are
    > a gazillion Linux newsgroups...

    Hey, bite me. I have known most of the people that have responded for
    over a year years now, I trust their judgement. I know who the good one
    are and who the assholes are. (Note to self, new addition to asshole
    list...)

    I said right up front this was off topic, that's that the "OT" means.
    It's to late anyway, I am downloading Mandrake tonight. Thanks all!
    And Leif, yes, you can count me as your convert. (0_o)

    --
    WebcastMaker

    WebcastMaker, Sep 17, 2004
  12. Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:29:07 -0400, WebcastMaker wrote:
    >

    >>Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
    >>download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit...

    > Not just Google it, but in what way is this possibly on-topic?

    According to alt-html.org (currently down, but here's a TinyURLed
    archive.org link: <http://tinyurl.com/4amc4>), "Just about anything Web
    related is on topic in alt.html [...]"

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 17, 2004
  13. WebcastMaker

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Jeffrey Silverman <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:29:07 -0400, WebcastMaker wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can
    >> I download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit...

    > Not just Google it, but in what way is this possibly on-topic? There
    > are a gazillion Linux newsgroups
    >
    > alt.linux
    > alt.os.linux
    > comp.os.linux
    > not to mention *.linux.distroname.* for redhat, slack, deb, mandrake,
    > etc.
    >
    > Go there. Post there.

    Last time I checked, this newsgroup was about HTML discussion, not
    discussion on what is on topic in this newsgroup. Please post your
    discussion of that sort perhaps in the news.* directory.

    Sam Hughes, Sep 18, 2004
  14. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:45:21 -0400, WebcastMaker wrote:

    > I said right up front this was off topic, that's that the "OT" means.
    > It's to late anyway, I am downloading Mandrake tonight. Thanks all!
    > And Leif, yes, you can count me as your convert. (0_o)

    Sorry. I always thought OT meant "ON" topic.

    And personally, I prefer RedHat/Fedora
    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 18, 2004
  15. WebcastMaker

    Jules Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:29:07 -0400, WebcastMaker wrote:

    > Hey, I have an extra computer and wanted to install Linux. Where can I
    > download some CD images? Yes, I know fuckinggoogleit... But I know
    > some of you use it, and I would rather see what you recommend.

    Personally, Slackware's nice (and people keep on telling me good things
    about Debian). Hate RH9 & Fedora; far too bloated and sluggish for their
    own good.

    Depends on what sort of things you want to do of course.

    If you want a graphical desktop environment then I'm not sure what current
    flavour of the month is. Experience of Gnome is that it's a total disaster
    and broken as hell behind the scenes; I'm not sure if KDE's any better
    (latter certainly looked quite slick when I had a go on it the other day
    on a system running Slackware 10, and far more responsive than Gnome).

    If you want to run server-side stuff (Apache / PHP / Java etc.) then of
    course you don't need a desktop environment at all, and maybe a simple
    window manager suits better (I was a great fan of Afterstep, but don't
    know what state it's in these days). Or maybe no graphical environment
    whatsoever suits you.

    I remember the good old days when a distribution came on about 30
    floppies - it was law that you'd get 99% of the way through an install
    and then find a corrupted disk :)

    seeya

    Jules

    Jules, Sep 19, 2004
  16. On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 13:09:22 +0100
    Jules <> wrote:

    > Personally, Slackware's nice (and people keep on telling me good
    > things about Debian). Hate RH9 & Fedora; far too bloated and sluggish
    > for their own good.

    Haven't tried slackware, I'm not sure debian is a good choice for a
    linux newbie. RH, Fedora and Mandrake do tend to have too much in their
    default installations. The trick is to not install what you don't need.
    Or, second best, remove it when you find you don't need it.

    > Depends on what sort of things you want to do of course.
    >
    > If you want a graphical desktop environment then I'm not sure what
    > current flavour of the month is. Experience of Gnome is that it's a
    > total disaster and broken as hell behind the scenes; I'm not sure if
    > KDE's any better(latter certainly looked quite slick when I had a go
    > on it the other day on a system running Slackware 10, and far more
    > responsive than Gnome).

    I've used both KDE and gnome. As new versions come out KDE has become
    very slick looking and feature-rich, but it also has become more of a
    resource hog and slower. Gnome didn't give me too much problem. Wasn't
    as fancy as KDE, but it was faster. Currently, I am using XFC4 as a
    desktop. Easy on resources and easy to configure as well as being
    fast and stable.

    > If you want to run server-side stuff (Apache / PHP / Java etc.) then
    > of course you don't need a desktop environment at all, and maybe a
    > simple window manager suits better (I was a great fan of Afterstep,
    > but don't know what state it's in these days). Or maybe no graphical
    > environment whatsoever suits you.
    >
    > I remember the good old days when a distribution came on about 30
    > floppies - it was law that you'd get 99% of the way through an install
    > and then find a corrupted disk :)

    ROTFL Oh yes, I remember them well.

    --
    Iron Feliks
    ++++++++++++++++++++

    Feliks Dzerzhinsky, Sep 19, 2004
  17. WebcastMaker

    Jim Higson Guest

    > I've used both KDE and gnome. As new versions come out KDE has become
    > very slick looking and feature-rich, but it also has become more of a
    > resource hog and slower. Gnome didn't give me too much problem. Wasn't
    > as fancy as KDE, but it was faster. Currently, I am using XFC4 as a
    > desktop. Easy on resources and easy to configure as well as being
    > fast and stable.

    This contrasts with my experience, for me each recent version of KDE has
    been faster than the previous on the same hardware. Sometimes that's at the
    cost of higher ram use (preloading etc), but sometimes just improved code.

    I have an Athlon XP 2000-ish and a generic GeForce 4. The setup is about
    20months old now, but (partly thanks to Resier4 filesystem and Linux
    software RAID) still feels faster than new windows machines I play with.

    Jim Higson, Sep 19, 2004
  18. WebcastMaker

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > I use Mandrake - haven't really tried anything else. I believe Mandrake
    > is supposed to be one of the better ones for n00bs like me. :)

    I am a somewhat experienced Linux user (been using it since 1999) and have
    tried a few different distros, but now use Mandrake for both desktop and
    server -- it's simply the best out there as far as I'm concerned.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./counting_crows/this_desert_life/09_speedway.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Sep 25, 2004
  19. Hi,

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > I am a somewhat experienced Linux user (been using it since 1999) and have
    > tried a few different distros, but now use Mandrake for both desktop and
    > server -- it's simply the best out there as far as I'm concerned.

    Nah. You want something that works - Fedora Core does just that :)

    But hey, at least we both agree on one thing, that we're not using
    Debian ;-p

    TTFN

    Paul

    Paul F. Johnson, Sep 25, 2004