OT: My killfile

Keith Thompson

I have never used a killfile in comp.lang.c. Most of the time,
I've read, or at least skimmed, every article that appears on my
server in this newsgroup, other than obvious spam.

I am now sufficiently sick and tired of the trolls that I'm going
to start using a killfile (or, more precisely, a score file,
the mechanism used by my newsreader of choise). This is not a
"plonk", in the sense that I don't intend to specifically announce
who's being added to my score file (though I might choose to do so
at times). The initial entries will be those who are, in my opinion,
obvious trolls.

I am making no commitment of any kind here. The choice of when I
start using a score file, whom I add to it, and whether to bypass
it and read certain articles, or even reply to them, will continue
to be entirely mine. This is not a game in which the trolls can
score points by goading me; it is merely my personal decision about
how I'm going to read this newsgroup. And I'm sure I'll see some
of the trolls' words when others post followups to them.

I don't expect most readers of this newsgroup to be particularly
interested in this announcement, and I expect the trolls will,
as usual, try to make fun of it. So be it.

I make this announcement for two reasons. First, readers should
be aware that, if I don't respond to something that seems to call
for a response, it may be because I deliberately didn't see it.
Some of the posters whom I consider to be trolls sometimes post
actual technical information; I won't be seeing it. Since I happen
to be among the most prolific posters in this newsgroup, and almost
all of my postings here are followups, that might be significant.

Second, I'd like to gently encourage others to do something similar
(I know a number of people already do). The trolls are, in my
opinion, doing serious damage to the integrity and usefulness of this
newsgroup. The more the trolls are silently ignored, the better off
we'll be. I claim no leadership role here; this is just my advice,
which anyone is free to ignore. I recognize that getting everyone
here to agree on any course of action is virtually impossible.

I don't particularly want this to spawn a long discussion thread.
I'd much rather discuss C.

Default User

Keith said:
Second, I'd like to gently encourage others to do something similar
(I know a number of people already do). The trolls are, in my
opinion, doing serious damage to the integrity and usefulness of this
newsgroup. The more the trolls are silently ignored, the better off
we'll be.

I certainly agree with your position. Trolls cannot be "defeated" by
argumentation. Only by making it not worth their time to bother with
their clever "contributions".

Brian

JC

I know I'm one of the people you consider a troll. In fact, I'm probably
the sole reason you've started this thread.

Another victory for Han. We're getting pretty schooled here, guys.
Fortunately, this thread is not doing any serious damage to the
integrity and usefulness of this newsgroup.

About half of the above paragraph was sarcasm, exactly which half is
left as an exercise to the reader.

Jason

Antoninus Twink

I don't expect most readers of this newsgroup to be particularly
interested in this announcement,

What amazing prescience you have, Keith!
The trolls are, in my opinion, doing serious damage to the integrity
and usefulness of this newsgroup.

Yeah, right... a few people providing correct, useful answers to
technical questions about real-world C is just destroying your platonic
ideal of what this newsgroup should be, isn't it? I say DAMN GOOD THING
TOO. The tide has turned in this group, and it's turned for the better.

By the way, you did read through your long rant before posting it, and
you did realize how ridiculously precious it was, didn't you?

Richard

Antoninus Twink said:
What amazing prescience you have, Keith!

Yeah, right... a few people providing correct, useful answers to
technical questions about real-world C is just destroying your platonic
ideal of what this newsgroup should be, isn't it? I say DAMN GOOD THING
TOO. The tide has turned in this group, and it's turned for the better.

By the way, you did read through your long rant before posting it, and
you did realize how ridiculously precious it was, didn't you?

I blushed for him to be honest.

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

The trolls are, in my
opinion, doing serious damage to the integrity and usefulness of this
newsgroup.

This is an unmoderated newsgroup, it hasn't got a gram of integrity.
It's a town with no laws, no police, no hangman, not even a mother to
smack your bum. Towns with no laws work in the early days, but then
they get too big for their boots. Comp.lang.c is too big for its
boots.

In "real life", if someone's causing trouble, you can go around to
their house and punch them in the face. Or call the police, whatever
floats your boat. Here though, all you can do is ignore them... or...
well... start threads about how you'd like them to be ignored.

Face it, anyone can post whatever they want to this group. If you want
to create a moderated newsgroup for the discussion of C then go ahead,
announce it here and see how many people join, I might even join
myself.

In the meantime, comp.lang.c is entertainment. Sure I come here to
post and read stuff about C, but I'm also entertained by the posts of
such people as Han from China and Kenny McCormack, who seem to be
quite well-rounded individuals who are getting an extra bit of
enjoyment from life by pushing the buttons of people who care too
much. If regulars didn't make it so much fun for them to be here,
they'd go elsewhere, trust me. It's sort of like those dried-out fruit
sweets you see in the shop... you know they're horrible but there must
be a reason for them to still be on the shelves after all these
years, /somebody/ must be buying them otherwise they'd be taken off
the shelves. There is one person in particular that keeps the trolls
here.

Give up on the pipe dream of comp.lang.c.

Has anyone been to the PIC list recently? It's got an "off topic"
section which you can subscribe to and de-subscribe from at will,
pretty neat if you wanna discuss Shakespeare with the guy who was
discussing C with you 10 minutes ago. Plus it's moderated, but the
moderation is based on a poster's account rather than on a post-by-
post basis, which means there isn't a delay. You might get one dodgy
post in, but once you're banned that's it you've got to create another
account.

Richard Bos

Keith Thompson said:
I have never used a killfile in comp.lang.c.

Who the **** cares? This group is dead, anyway. The trolls (you know who
you are) and the hypocrits and idiots (you probably don't know who you
are, R.H., C.F. and B.C., but we do) between them have killed it. All
the rest of us are doing is pissing in the wind. The only reason to stay
is nostalgic pigheadedness (to which I presonally do own up).

Richard

CBFalconer

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe said:
.... snip ...

Face it, anyone can post whatever they want to this group. If you
want to create a moderated newsgroup for the discussion of C then
go ahead, announce it here and see how many people join, I might
even join myself.

comp.lang.c.moderated exists. Just use it. Prepare for delays.
In the meantime, comp.lang.c is entertainment. Sure I come here
to post and read stuff about C, but I'm also entertained by the
posts of such people as Han from China and Kenny McCormack, who
seem to be quite well-rounded individuals who are getting an
extra bit of enjoyment from life by pushing the buttons of people
who care too much. If regulars didn't make it so much fun for them
to be here, they'd go elsewhere, trust me. It's sort of like those
dried-out fruit sweets you see in the shop... you know they're
horrible but there must be a reason for them to still be on the
shelves after all these years, /somebody/ must be buying them
otherwise they'd be taken off the shelves. There is one person in
particular that keeps the trolls here.

No it isn't just entertainment. Han, McCormack, etc. are simply
interrupting boors with no manners whatsoever. There are other
newsgroups suitable for their nonsense. Here most users simply
PLONK them, limiting the nuisance to people who insist on annoying
by replying to the trolls. Those people are almost equally
ignorant, and are certainly boors.

Richard

CBFalconer said:
comp.lang.c.moderated exists. Just use it. Prepare for delays.

No it isn't just entertainment. Han, McCormack, etc. are simply
interrupting boors with no manners whatsoever. There are other

Sorry? You are the most pedantic, time wasting poster here by a LONG
chalk. Get your own house in order before lecturing others.
newsgroups suitable for their nonsense. Here most users simply
PLONK them, limiting the nuisance to people who insist on annoying
by replying to the trolls. Those people are almost equally
ignorant, and are certainly boors.

You describe yourself well. You net nanny, pick and make more mistakes
than anyone else here.

If you truly desire to help, then help. Else go away.

CBFalconer said:
Han, McCormack, etc. are simply
interrupting boors with no manners whatsoever.

Hmmm, this sentence can be read in two different ways.

Brian

Bartc

Richard Bos said:
Who the f*** cares? This group is dead, anyway. The trolls (you know who
you are) and the hypocrits and idiots (you probably don't know who you
are, R.H., C.F. and B.C., but we do) between them have killed it.

You've got me worried now.

Bartc

Richard Bos said:
If you've only started worrying now, you're remarkably slow on the
uptake.

Sorry I was referring to the identity of the mysterious B.C.

I think I know who you mean now although I wouldn't put those particular
labels on them.

CBFalconer

Default said:
Hmmm, this sentence can be read in two different ways.

True. How about: "Han, McCormack, etc. are simply boots
interrupting, with no manners whatsoever."

CBFalconer

Lowell said:
CBFalconer said:
True. How about: "Han, McCormack, etc. are simply boots
interrupting, with no manners whatsoever."

I guess that makes it three different ways. So far.
Really "stuck your foot in your mouth" with that one, Chuck...

[Sorry, I tried to resist, but I failed...]

Yup. English is a simple language. Likewise spelling. :)

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre said:
Han from China - Master Troll wrote:

(who gives a shit?)

I'm sure /you/ find it amusing being offensive about people with
Autism but nobody else does. Making jokes about disabled people marks
you out as pond scum.

Mark, please don't feed the troll.

Richard

Mark McIntyre said:
Offensive spam just makes you look like more of a fuckwit.

He has posted more *correct* help here than all the Default Users, CBFs
, JoJos and Vippstars put together. And help which explains things in
context not just gawping and repeating from the ridiculously over
referenced "standard" like some love struck teenager repeating her
boyfriends name. The news group is comp.lang.c. It is for the discussion of
the C language. The same as all the other comp.lang.LANGUAGE groups.

Get over it or kill file him.

Kenny McCormack

Han from China - Master Troll wrote:

(who gives a shit?)

I'm sure /you/ find it amusing being offensive about people with Autism
but nobody else does. Making jokes about disabled people marks you out
as pond scum.

Speak for yourself. I love every word Han writes.

And he's certainly got KT's number. In every way...

Richard Bos

Mark McIntyre said:
Comments like this do little or nothing for your credibility. In fact,
they line you up with Ant, Han and his other nyms.

Oh, lookee, Heathfield's whipping-boy is back, too. This group really
does go from strength to strength.

Richard