    --
    Take Care, Sharon Lane
    http://www.rare-cancer.org

    Sharon, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Sharon

    Lois Guest

    Re: News Readers

    "Sharon" wrote:
    : I am trying to develop pages for my pediatric and rare cancer website
    : (http://news.rare-cancer.org), which is still in the testing phases. I
    have
    : been searching the web for news and get some news delivered to my email
    box.
    : My need for news is a little different than most webmasters. I do not
    want
    : ALL cancer news. I want to be able to review it and see if it effects the
    : pediatric and adult rare cancer communities. And I don't want any info
    from
    : blogs. So, I think that most of the automatic feeds would not help me.
    :
    : What I need is a good software package (hopefully free) that would allow
    me
    : to read news on my own computer. It would be REALLY nice if I could get
    : news delivered to me for certain keywords(ie. rare cancer, pediatric
    cancer,
    : childhood cancer, uncommon cancer). I do this through Google now, but
    they
    : seem to be hit and miss on delivery. If you know of any products that
    could
    : help me in this venture, I would be soooooooo grateful.

    This isn't a software package, but I wonder if it would give you what you're
    looking for:

    British Medical Journal Cite Track
    http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/help/citetrack/
    You register to be notified by email whenever an article with a keyword you
    specified is published. Authors and articles cited can also be included in
    the search criteria.

    "CiteTrack allows you to track topics and authors in any of the
    participating journals [not just the BMJ]. You or your institution will need
    a subscription to see the full text for articles you are alerted to in other
    journals [but BMJ articles are free online]."

    http://www.amedeo.com/
    Receive an email alert whenever an article from a long list of medical
    journals is published about the topic(s) you choose. The emails have short
    summaries of each article along with links to abstracts.

    Both services are free.

    Lois

    Lois, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    Re: News Readers

    "Lois" <> wrote in message
    > This isn't a software package, but I wonder if it would give you what

    you're
    > looking for:
    > http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/help/citetrack/
    > http://www.amedeo.com/

    I didn't know either of these services was selective like this. Thanks
    Lois. I still need a News Reader, but this helps also.

    Take Care, Sharon

    Sharon, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Sharon wrote:

    > It would be REALLY nice if I could get
    > news delivered to me for certain keywords(ie. rare cancer, pediatric cancer,
    > childhood cancer, uncommon cancer).

    Google: PubMed

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 25, 2004
  5. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" wrote in message
    > Google: PubMed

    I tried to do this. I used a site specific search on google for various
    URL's of PubMed. It doesn't seem to work Can you take a minute out and
    explain to me how to do this for the term retinoblastoma for example?
    Thanks.

    Take Care, Sharon

    Sharon, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Sharon wrote:
    > "Toby A Inkster" wrote in message
    >> Google: PubMed

    > I tried to do this. I used a site specific search on google for various
    > URL's of PubMed. It doesn't seem to work Can you take a minute out and
    > explain to me how to do this for the term retinoblastoma for example?
    > Thanks.

    I tend to use this search form:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

    Tapping in "retinoblastoma" returns 566 articles. You can narrow it down
    by things like date. For example, try searching for:

    retinoblastoma 1998/01:1998/04 [edat]

    This will find all articles about retinoblastoma written between Jan and
    April 1998. [edat] is not the only tag you can use to narrow down
    searches: there are tonnes of them. [ti] is pretty useful. A full list is
    here:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/help/pmhelp.html#SearchFieldDescriptionsandTags

    PubMed isn't easy to learn, but once you've learnt the basics, it's pretty
    easy to find stuff quickly.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 25, 2004
  7. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > PubMed isn't easy to learn, but once you've learnt the basics, it's pretty
    > easy to find stuff quickly.

    Thanks, I know how to use PubMed and I have used it for years. I thought
    that maybe you had a way of using Google to search PubMed using specific
    keywords. Sorry Toby for the misunderstanding.

    Take Care, Sharon

    Sharon, Feb 25, 2004