OT news server

fidokomik

Please can anybody recommend me some news server? Now I read this
group using news client from news.felk.cvut.cz but is look that my
outgoing messages are lost at Czech Republic border :)

Sherm Pendley

fidokomik said:
Please can anybody recommend me some news server?

Free or paid? For free, I've had good results from aioe.org. They have
a fairly short retention period and don't carry binaries, but what
else can one expect for free? :)

For money, I've yet to see a service that beats giganews.

sherm--

sln

Free or paid? For free, I've had good results from aioe.org. They have
a fairly short retention period and don't carry binaries, but what
else can one expect for free? :)

For money, I've yet to see a service that beats giganews.

Hey, I just got a $10 service @ 20 gigs and 160 days.
I used to have 5 gigs for and a year for free with adelphia.
Now, I don't dnload binaries at the traditional sites, no need.
Since I use Agent, which is a deep recoreder, should I go for the ten
cents per month service and 5 day retention?

sln

Sherm Pendley

Hey, I just got a $10 service @ 20 gigs and 160 days.

Giganews has a plan that costs a bit more, but includes a few more
bytes - it's $12.99 for 25GB. But they have a 200 day retention in the
*binary* groups, which they've announced will be upgraded to 240 days
in September. Their non-binary retention approaches the absurd - it's
measured in years intead of days.

I'm no longer a subscriber, but that has more to do with my own waning
interest in usenet than anything else. If I were still using a paid
service at all, it would be giganews.
I used to have 5 gigs for and a year for free with adelphia.

Adelphia (now Comcast) in my area doesn't provide their own usenet
service - they simply resell GigaNews. That's how I first heard of
them.
Now, I don't dnload binaries at the traditional sites, no need.
Since I use Agent, which is a deep recoreder, should I go for the ten
cents per month service and 5 day retention?

Honestly, if you don't care about long retention or binaries, a free
service like aioe.net's should be perfectly fine.

sherm--