    Please can anybody recommend me some news server? Now I read this
    group using news client from news.felk.cvut.cz but is look that my
    outgoing messages are lost at Czech Republic border :)

    fidokomik, Aug 21, 2008

  2. fidokomik <> writes:

    > Please can anybody recommend me some news server?

    Free or paid? For free, I've had good results from aioe.org. They have
    a fairly short retention period and don't carry binaries, but what
    else can one expect for free? :)

    For money, I've yet to see a service that beats giganews.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Aug 21, 2008

  3. fidokomik

    Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:07:57 -0400, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:

    >fidokomik <> writes:
    >
    >> Please can anybody recommend me some news server?

    >Free or paid? For free, I've had good results from aioe.org. They have
    >a fairly short retention period and don't carry binaries, but what
    >else can one expect for free? :)
    >
    >For money, I've yet to see a service that beats giganews.

    Hey, I just got a $10 service @ 20 gigs and 160 days.
    I used to have 5 gigs for and a year for free with adelphia.
    Now, I don't dnload binaries at the traditional sites, no need.
    Since I use Agent, which is a deep recoreder, should I go for the ten
    cents per month service and 5 day retention?

    sln

    >sherm--

    , Aug 21, 2008
  4. writes:

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:07:57 -0400, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    >
    >>fidokomik <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Please can anybody recommend me some news server?

    >>Free or paid? For free, I've had good results from aioe.org. They have
    >>a fairly short retention period and don't carry binaries, but what
    >>else can one expect for free? :)
    >>
    >>For money, I've yet to see a service that beats giganews.

    > Hey, I just got a $10 service @ 20 gigs and 160 days.

    Giganews has a plan that costs a bit more, but includes a few more
    bytes - it's $12.99 for 25GB. But they have a 200 day retention in the
    *binary* groups, which they've announced will be upgraded to 240 days
    in September. Their non-binary retention approaches the absurd - it's
    measured in years intead of days.

    I'm no longer a subscriber, but that has more to do with my own waning
    interest in usenet than anything else. If I were still using a paid
    service at all, it would be giganews.

    > I used to have 5 gigs for and a year for free with adelphia.

    Adelphia (now Comcast) in my area doesn't provide their own usenet
    service - they simply resell GigaNews. That's how I first heard of
    them.

    > Now, I don't dnload binaries at the traditional sites, no need.
    > Since I use Agent, which is a deep recoreder, should I go for the ten
    > cents per month service and 5 day retention?

    Honestly, if you don't care about long retention or binaries, a free
    service like aioe.net's should be perfectly fine.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Aug 21, 2008