OT - Parking etiquette. (Not even close to being on topic)

JDS

So, where I work has a parking lot, naturally (or as you English may say,
"car park"). It is always very crowded, especially after, say, 8:30 AM.
There is an "overflow" lot, though, which is much further away from the
"good" lot. I always check the good lot anyways, as I have very good
parking karma (no pun intended) and often get a choice spot when I
probably don't deserve to.

So this morning, I did my usual -- zip into the good lot and zigzag all
over it, looking for a spot. A small car was in front of me the whole
way, doing the same thing. There came a point in the lot where you could
go left or right and it would take you around a loop and back to the same
location. She chose right. I naturally chose left as there is no point in
following her for the loop as she would get any spot left.

It turns out there *was* a spot left, and it was to the left, and she saw
it *just* as she began to turn right. However, I was already on her ass,
turning left. She starts backing up, and I'm like, "WTF?" because she is
practically backing up right into me. So i honked at her! I hadn't
actually seen the free spot at this point. But then, rounding the corner I
saw it and of course pulled in right away.

She was waaaay pissed. She even waited for me to get out and gave me a
dirty look. I smiled at her dumbly.

It seems to me that according to "parking lot etiquette" she did not
really have a claim to that spot. She was not lined up with a turn signal
on -- she wasn't even in the right lane yet!

What do you think?

For more information, see my diagram:

<http://www.newtnotes.com/carpark/>

BJ in Texas

JDS wrote:
|| So, where I work has a parking lot, naturally (or as you
|| English may say, "car park"). It is always very crowded,
|| especially after, say, 8:30 AM. There is an "overflow" lot,
|| though, which is much further away from the "good" lot. I
|| always check the good lot anyways, as I have very good
|| parking karma (no pun intended) and often get a choice spot
|| when I probably don't deserve to.
|| So this morning, I did my usual -- zip into the good lot and
|| zigzag all over it, looking for a spot. A small car was in
|| front of me the whole way, doing the same thing. There came a
|| point in the lot where you could go left or right and it
|| would take you around a loop and back to the same location.
|| She chose right. I naturally chose left as there is no point
|| in following her for the loop as she would get any spot left.
|| It turns out there *was* a spot left, and it was to the left,
|| and she saw it *just* as she began to turn right. However, I
|| was already on her ass, turning left. She starts backing up,
|| and I'm like, "WTF?" because she is practically backing up
|| right into me. So i honked at her! I hadn't actually seen the
|| free spot at this point. But then, rounding the corner I saw
|| it and of course pulled in right away.
|| She was waaaay pissed. She even waited for me to get out and
|| gave me a dirty look. I smiled at her dumbly.
|| It seems to me that according to "parking lot etiquette" she
|| did not really have a claim to that spot. She was not lined
|| up with a turn signal on -- she wasn't even in the right lane
|| yet!
|| What do you think?
|| For more information, see my diagram:
|| <http://www.newtnotes.com/carpark/>
|| --
|| JDS | (e-mail address removed)
|| | http://www.newtnotes.com

Your an asshole..... :) BJ

Hywel Jenkins

[...]

Parking's a war. Take no prisoners. I got dragged to Cribb's Causeway
(anyone in the Wales or the south-west of England knows about Cribb's
Causeway) one Saturday. Driving around I spotted someone waiting to
vacate their bay, so I flashed the lights to let them out. I'd spotted
another car about 30 metres ahead, beyond the parking space in question,
but thought nothing of it. They had passed the bay in a one-way route
so I assumed they were waiting for someone else. Once Vacating Dude had
left I had his space.

Came back to the car a few hours later to find a note on my car,
presumably from the car that was pulled over way ahead. It read
something along the lines of "Next time be more polite and don't take
someone else's space." I figured they must have wasted a whole load
more time coming back to my car and writing the note than I cared about.
The only thing that PO'd me was that I didn't get to leave a note saying
"Parking's a war, bitch, and you've been nuked. Deal with it."

Hywel Jenkins

It seems to me that according to "parking lot etiquette" she did not
really have a claim to that spot. She was not lined up with a turn signal
on -- she wasn't even in the right lane yet!

What do you think?

For more information, see my diagram:

<http://www.newtnotes.com/carpark/>

Just looked at your picture. If she'd got the space I'd have dragged
her car out of it and tipped it on to its roof. Surely your Batmobile
has a winch.

Richard

So, where I work has a parking lot, naturally (or as you English may
say,
"car park"). It is always very crowded, especially after, say, 8:30
AM.
There is an "overflow" lot, though, which is much further away from the
"good" lot. I always check the good lot anyways, as I have very good
parking karma (no pun intended) and often get a choice spot when I
probably don't deserve to.

First come, first served bubba.

Daniel Ruscoe

Hywel said:
Just looked at your picture. If she'd got the space I'd have dragged
her car out of it and tipped it on to its roof. Surely your Batmobile
has a winch.

Looks like she's trying to park in an imaginary spot.

King of Red Lions

JDS said:
[...]

Wow, you drive the batmobil?

buzzarant

You made it to the spot first - it was yours for the taking.
The other person made a bad call when turning the wrong way - that's
her problem.

Your story has made me chuckle. Thanks.

Richard

JDS wrote:

LOL... I am glad to have my bicycle to drive to work. never had any
parking problems :)

Hell, my neighbor works for a company 1 mile away.
He rides his scooter in good weather.

joy beeson

LOL... I am glad to have my bicycle to drive to work. never had any
parking problems :)

Shopping, on the other hand -- there are places I can't go
because there is no safe place to leave the bike.

But when I find a space, it is rare that anybody else wants
it.

Joy Beeson