    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mratc/

    --
    me = d2004xx = d2003xx = d2002xx

    Aquila Deus, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Aquila Deus

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Aquila Deus" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all!
    >
    > The project MrATC (Air Traffic Control) needs more Perl developers.
    > We've done some discussion and begin to code and write doc, but there
    > are only 2 developers now (and one is a perl noob - me).
    >
    > WE NEED YOUR HELP TO BUILD THE WORLD'S NEXT GENERATION OF AIR TRAFFIC
    > CONTROL SYSTEM IN PERL!

    Not to be too discouraging, but have you identified a need for the new
    system? (Or more to the point, your system?) Generally one would be working
    in cooperation with the major players in the industry on a project of the
    magnitude your undertaking (or at least some players). Announcing that no
    one is working on your project but you hope some people will sign up is not
    the most effective way to garner interest in your project. If you are
    serious about this, I would suggest you start by making contacts within the
    industry and looking for participation there. Anyone can write code, but
    without a detailed and realistic plan you're not going to get off the ground
    (sorry, bad joke!).

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Aug 6, 2004

  3. Aquila Deus

    Bill Guest

    Aquila Deus wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > The project MrATC (Air Traffic Control) needs more Perl developers.
    > We've done some discussion and begin to code and write doc, but there
    > are only 2 developers now (and one is a perl noob - me).
    >
    > WE NEED YOUR HELP TO BUILD THE WORLD'S NEXT GENERATION OF AIR TRAFFIC
    > CONTROL SYSTEM IN PERL!
    >
    > If you're interested, please visit
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/mratc/

    This is highly domain specific software. You should have a 'real' air
    traffic controller be involved in design and testing for this to 'fly.'

    Perhaps you may benefit contacting an FAA spakeman like Karen at the FAA
    here in the US: karen (dot)stewart (at) faa.gov and asking her
    thoughts. Or better still, if there is an air traffic control school
    near where you are living, interview a teacher there.

    Bill, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Aquila Deus

    Peter Scott Guest

    > Hi all!
    >
    > The project MrATC (Air Traffic Control) needs more Perl developers.
    > We've done some discussion and begin to code and write doc, but there
    > are only 2 developers now (and one is a perl noob - me).
    >
    > WE NEED YOUR HELP TO BUILD THE WORLD'S NEXT GENERATION OF AIR TRAFFIC
    > CONTROL SYSTEM IN PERL!

    I've been assuming that this is a practical joke. Anyone who thinks
    that Perl is a good choice for creating an *operational* air traffic
    control system needs their head examined. Now, as a demonstration
    coding project, it could be an interesting diversion, although one
    does wonder whether that amount of effort wouldn't be better expended
    on something that would end up actually being used.

    Ironically - and the reason I am interjecting - in "Perl Medic", I
    asked for anyone who was building an ATC system in Perl to drop me a
    line. This was an aside in a discussion about expertise of
    maintenance programmers versus project complexity. I then added
    that if they intended their system to be maintained by teenage
    programmers, to attach a map of the areas served by said system, and I
    would put it to good use.

    Books don't generally use smileys. They're unnecessary in most forms
    of humor when done right. At least, so I thought...

    --
    Peter Scott
    http://www.perldebugged.com/

    Peter Scott, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Aquila Deus

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Bill <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Aquila Deus wrote:
    > > Hi all!
    > >
    > > The project MrATC (Air Traffic Control) needs more Perl developers.
    > > We've done some discussion and begin to code and write doc, but there
    > > are only 2 developers now (and one is a perl noob - me).
    > >
    > > WE NEED YOUR HELP TO BUILD THE WORLD'S NEXT GENERATION OF AIR TRAFFIC
    > > CONTROL SYSTEM IN PERL!
    > >
    > > If you're interested, please visit
    > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/mratc/
    > >

    > This is highly domain specific software. You should have a 'real' air
    > traffic controller be involved in design and testing for this to 'fly.'
    >
    > Perhaps you may benefit contacting an FAA spakeman like Karen at the FAA
    > here in the US: karen (dot)stewart (at) faa.gov and asking her
    > thoughts. Or better still, if there is an air traffic control school
    > near where you are living, interview a teacher there.

    Thank you! I'll discuss this with project admin :)

    Aquila Deus, Aug 6, 2004
  6. >>>>> "Peter" == Peter Scott <> writes:

    Peter> I've been assuming that this is a practical joke. Anyone who thinks
    Peter> that Perl is a good choice for creating an *operational* air traffic
    Peter> control system needs their head examined.

    It's certainly better than the ancient stuff they're using now.

    Besides, if adequately tested, there's nothing with Perl for mission
    critical projects. I know a lot of people who consider
    ticketmaster.com "mission critical"... especially the folks at
    Ticketmaster. And that's all mod_perl from top to bottom... all Perl.

    So, an ATC system coded in Perl does not scare me in the slightest.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Aug 6, 2004
  7. Aquila Deus

    Peter Scott Guest

    In article <>,
    (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

    >Peter> I've been assuming that this is a practical joke. Anyone who thinks
    >Peter> that Perl is a good choice for creating an *operational* air traffic
    >Peter> control system needs their head examined.
    >
    >It's certainly better than the ancient stuff they're using now.
    >
    >Besides, if adequately tested, there's nothing with Perl for mission
    >critical projects. I know a lot of people who consider
    >ticketmaster.com "mission critical"... especially the folks at
    >Ticketmaster. And that's all mod_perl from top to bottom... all Perl.
    >
    >So, an ATC system coded in Perl does not scare me in the slightest.

    Er, if Ticketmaster makes a mistake people don't die. The requirements
    that are placed by three-letter agencies on safety-of-life software are
    mind-boggling. Not sure where the full ones are but this looks like a
    step in the right direction:
    http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/ord_nas.htm .

    We *are* talking about a system for tracking aircraft through
    radar and transponder data and updating multiple distributed
    displays in real time plus handing off data between local and
    regional centers, right? I think I'd want real time interrupts
    and interrupt priority levels, for a start. Haven't seen a Perl
    interface for those yet.

    It appears to me that the current system exceeds 2 million lines of
    Ada, but I could be off; I'm having a hard time finding details.
    Coming up with a Perl equivalent sounds like... a lengthy project.
    The government has budgeted several $billion for replacing it but
    we can whack off one in our spare time that they'll agree to use?

    Or are we talking about something else?

    --
    Peter Scott
    http://www.perldebugged.com/

    Peter Scott, Aug 7, 2004
  8. Aquila Deus

    Aquila Deus Guest

    (Peter Scott) wrote in message news:<IOZQc.30882$gE.13328@pd7tw3no>...

    > >Peter> I've been assuming that this is a practical joke. Anyone who thinks
    > >Peter> that Perl is a good choice for creating an *operational* air traffic
    > >Peter> control system needs their head examined.
    > >
    > >It's certainly better than the ancient stuff they're using now.
    > >
    > >Besides, if adequately tested, there's nothing with Perl for mission
    > >critical projects. I know a lot of people who consider
    > >ticketmaster.com "mission critical"... especially the folks at
    > >Ticketmaster. And that's all mod_perl from top to bottom... all Perl.
    > >
    > >So, an ATC system coded in Perl does not scare me in the slightest.

    > Er, if Ticketmaster makes a mistake people don't die. The requirements
    > that are placed by three-letter agencies on safety-of-life software are
    > mind-boggling. Not sure where the full ones are but this looks like a
    > step in the right direction:
    > http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/ord_nas.htm .
    >
    > We *are* talking about a system for tracking aircraft through
    > radar and transponder data and updating multiple distributed
    > displays in real time plus handing off data between local and
    > regional centers, right? I think I'd want real time interrupts
    > and interrupt priority levels, for a start. Haven't seen a Perl
    > interface for those yet.
    >
    > It appears to me that the current system exceeds 2 million lines of
    > Ada, but I could be off; I'm having a hard time finding details.
    > Coming up with a Perl equivalent sounds like... a lengthy project.
    > The government has budgeted several $billion for replacing it but
    > we can whack off one in our spare time that they'll agree to use?
    >
    > Or are we talking about something else?

    Thanks!

    Aquila Deus, Aug 7, 2004
  9. Aquila Deus

    thundergnat Guest

    Peter Scott wrote:

    > We *are* talking about a system for tracking aircraft through
    > radar and transponder data and updating multiple distributed
    > displays in real time plus handing off data between local and
    > regional centers, right? I think I'd want real time interrupts
    > and interrupt priority levels, for a start. Haven't seen a Perl
    > interface for those yet.
    >
    > It appears to me that the current system exceeds 2 million lines of
    > Ada, but I could be off; I'm having a hard time finding details.
    > Coming up with a Perl equivalent sounds like... a lengthy project.
    > The government has budgeted several $billion for replacing it but
    > we can whack off one in our spare time that they'll agree to use?
    >
    > Or are we talking about something else?

    As unlikely as it may seem, apparantly there are a few perl ATC systems
    being worked on. (No idea if any are in use anywhere.)

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mratc/

    http://www.tkzinc.org/index.php/Main/WhatIsZinc

    thundergnat, Aug 9, 2004
  10. (Aquila Deus) wrote:

    > The project MrATC (Air Traffic Control) needs more Perl developers.
    > We've done some discussion and begin to code and write doc, but
    > there are only 2 developers now (and one is a perl noob - me).

    Remember to take the year 10000 problem into account, because
    unless you find a whole lot of full-time programmers that will
    join you, it will take you several thousand years to get it done.

    Just a tip.

    Peter
    (System administrator/developer, Oslo ATC, Norway)

    --
    #!/local/bin/perl5 -wp -*- mode: cperl; coding: iso-8859-1; -*-
    # matlab comment stripper (strips comments from Matlab m-files)

    Peter J. Acklam, Aug 10, 2004
  11. Aquila Deus

    Aquila Deus Guest

    (Peter J. Acklam) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Aquila Deus) wrote:
    >
    > > The project MrATC (Air Traffic Control) needs more Perl developers.
    > > We've done some discussion and begin to code and write doc, but
    > > there are only 2 developers now (and one is a perl noob - me).

    > Remember to take the year 10000 problem into account, because
    > unless you find a whole lot of full-time programmers that will
    > join you, it will take you several thousand years to get it done.
    >
    > Just a tip.
    >
    > Peter
    > (System administrator/developer, Oslo ATC, Norway)

    Ummmm... You're right. That's what we worry about too.

    Aquila Deus, Aug 11, 2004
  12. (Aquila Deus) wrote:

    > (Peter J. Acklam) wrote:
    >
    > > (Aquila Deus) wrote:
    > >
    > > > The project MrATC (Air Traffic Control) needs more Perl developers.
    > > > We've done some discussion and begin to code and write doc, but
    > > > there are only 2 developers now (and one is a perl noob - me).

    > > Remember to take the year 10000 problem into account, because
    > > unless you find a whole lot of full-time programmers that will
    > > join you, it will take you several thousand years to get it done.

    > Ummmm... You're right. That's what we worry about too.

    It would be fun to see an ATC system written in Perl, but I really
    think you should spend your time on something else. The size and
    complexity of ATC software is so large you have minimal chance at
    succeeding.

    Peter J. Acklam, Aug 11, 2004