    Thanks in advance for any help.

    (running debian linux here)

    AC

    Alan Connor, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On 22 Aug 2004 09:50:52 -0700, <> wrote:

    >> > The tool exists, its called "a programmer who knows perl and C".

    >> I have done some research on this topic and I couldn't find any

    > LOL!

    There are utilities for converting one programming language to another.

    Lots of them. For major and minor languages.

    (The very program I am referring to above, html2ps, is
    such a program. HTML is a language understood by webbrowsers, and PS is
    a language understood by printers.)

    Why not this one?

    Why couldn't that programmer that knows both languages sit down and
    write a perl2C converter in C?

    The answer is, of course, that they could.

    Have they?

    That's what I am trying to find out.

    AC

    Alan Connor, Aug 22, 2004

  3. Alan Connor

    Joe Smith Guest

    Alan Connor wrote:

    > There's this utility called html2ps that's written in perl, but
    > the box I want to run it on doesn't have room for perl. It does
    > have room for a C compiler.

    A general purpose perl-to-C converter will be the same size as perl itself.
    If the program you're coverting uses eval($string), then you'd have to
    include the *entire* perl language.
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Aug 22, 2004
  4. Alan Connor

    Joe Smith Guest

    Alan Connor wrote:

    > There are utilities for converting one programming language to another.
    > Why not this one?
    > Why couldn't that programmer that knows both languages sit down and
    > write a perl2C converter in C?

    Too much effort, insufficient payoff.
    Look at "perldoc -q compile" to see how others have done similar.
    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:05:10 GMT, Joe Smith <> wrote:

    > Alan Connor wrote:
    >
    >> There's this utility called html2ps that's written in perl, but
    >> the box I want to run it on doesn't have room for perl. It does
    >> have room for a C compiler.

    > A general purpose perl-to-C converter will be the same size as perl itself.
    > If the program you're coverting uses eval($string), then you'd have to
    > include the *entire* perl language.
    > -Joe

    Sure, but the perl-to-C converter would not have to be on the box that
    I want to run html2ps on. I can do the conversion and compilation elsewhere
    and then have a nice little C binary to install on that box, which will be
    a small fraction of the size of perl and the perl html2ps.

    AC

    Alan Connor, Aug 22, 2004
  6. Alan Connor wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:05:10 GMT, Joe Smith <> wrote:
    >

    >>Alan Connor wrote:
    >>

    >>>There's this utility called html2ps that's written in perl, but
    >>>the box I want to run it on doesn't have room for perl. It does
    >>>have room for a C compiler.

    >>A general purpose perl-to-C converter will be the same size as perl itself.
    >>If the program you're coverting uses eval($string), then you'd have to
    >>include the *entire* perl language.
    >> -Joe

    > Sure, but the perl-to-C converter would not have to be on the box that
    > I want to run html2ps on. I can do the conversion and compilation elsewhere
    > and then have a nice little C binary to install on that box, which will be
    > a small fraction of the size of perl and the perl html2ps.
    >
    > AC

    When the little C binary encounters eval($string) it could email
    the big box and ask it to convert $string to C, compile it, and
    email the binary back. Watch out for virus protection filters! ;-)

    -Rich
    --
    Richard Pennington
    Email:

    Richard Pennington, Aug 22, 2004
  7. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:11:55 GMT, Joe Smith <> wrote:

    > Alan Connor wrote:
    >
    >> There are utilities for converting one programming language to another.
    >> Why not this one?
    >> Why couldn't that programmer that knows both languages sit down and
    >> write a perl2C converter in C?

    > Too much effort, insufficient payoff.

    Huh? Most of the perl groups are dead. Millions of gigabytes of hdd
    space could be saved, as well as all the other system resources that
    perl requires.

    Such a program would be used extensively.

    And perl would lose a lot of users. Someone would set up an ftp site
    with C versions of most of the perl programs and who wouldn't choose
    them over perl if they weren't interested in learning to program in perl?

    > Look at "perldoc -q compile" to see how others have done similar.
    > -Joe

    Okay. Thanks.

    But why would they have "done similar" if such an effort has "insufficient
    payoff"?

    AC

    Alan Connor, Aug 22, 2004
  8. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:37:29 GMT, Richard Pennington <> wrote:

    > Alan Connor wrote:

    >>>A general purpose perl-to-C converter will be the same size as perl itself.
    >>>If the program you're coverting uses eval($string), then you'd have to
    >>>include the *entire* perl language.
    >>> -Joe

    >> Sure, but the perl-to-C converter would not have to be on the box that
    >> I want to run html2ps on. I can do the conversion and compilation elsewhere
    >> and then have a nice little C binary to install on that box, which will be
    >> a small fraction of the size of perl and the perl html2ps.
    >>
    >> AC
    >>

    > When the little C binary encounters eval($string) it could email
    > the big box and ask it to convert $string to C, compile it, and
    > email the binary back. Watch out for virus protection filters! ;-)

    ROTFL !!

    AC

    Alan Connor, Aug 22, 2004
  9. Alan Connor <> writes:
    [...]
    [...]
    > There are utilities for converting one programming language to another.
    >
    > Lots of them. For major and minor languages.
    >
    > (The very program I am referring to above, html2ps, is
    > such a program. HTML is a language understood by webbrowsers, and PS is
    > a language understood by printers.)
    >
    > Why not this one?
    >
    > Why couldn't that programmer that knows both languages sit down and
    > write a perl2C converter in C?
    >
    > The answer is, of course, that they could.
    >
    > Have they?
    >
    > That's what I am trying to find out.

    Such a tool does in fact exist.

    See my article <>, posted 2003-11-05, subject
    'Re: "Mastering C Pointers"....', for an explanation of the reason I'm
    choosing not to share more information with you. My final statement
    in that article still stands, but I make no promises.

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=lzptg77jsg.fsf%40cts.com>

    Just a reminder that behavior has consequences.

    Keith Thompson, Aug 22, 2004
  10. Alan Connor

    tigervamp Guest

    Alan Connor <> wrote in message news:<Br5Wc.30453$>...
> [...]

    If you just want to get an html to postscript converter on your
    machine, you can download one of many such C programs. <OT> It is
    also possible to convert a perl program into a native executable using
    freely available experimental software or the Perl2Exe software
    provided by indigoSTAR (www.indigostar.com). You could then run this
    converted Perl program on a machibe that does not have Perl </OT>

    > >> I have done some research on this topic and I couldn't find any

    > > LOL!

    > There are utilities for converting one programming language to another.
    >
    > Lots of them. For major and minor languages.

    Not sure what you mean by major and minor languages.

    > (The very program I am referring to above, html2ps, is
    > such a program. HTML is a language understood by webbrowsers, and PS is
    > a language understood by printers.)
    > Why not this one?

    <OT> I think there is a big difference here. First, html and ps are
    not programming languages, they are markup languages used to describe
    how something should be presented. Additionally, most of the time,
    html and ps documents are not read or written by hand, they are
    created and presented with tools that understand the language which is
    why I think that tools that can convert between them are more useful
    (since there probably aren't many people that can convert to or from
    postscript by hand). A tool to convert between programming languages,
    especially between something like C and Perl, would be much more
    difficult to implement and would probably require some knowledge of
    both languages just to use in most cases anyway. I also don't think
    the demand is there. </OT>

    > Why couldn't that programmer that knows both languages sit down and
    > write a perl2C converter in C?
    >
    > The answer is, of course, that they could.
    >
    > Have they?

    <OT> Not that I am aware of, and as I said above, it probably wouldn't
    be an seamless solution. It would also probably involve having Perl
    installed on the machine doing the conversion. I also don't think
    that many people who know both languages are very interested in
    creating such a tool (and apparently they aren't). Perl is more of a
    high-level scripting language and most people that use it don't really
    have an interest in having their programs converted to C. Alot of
    people using Perl have migrated from C or have a dislike for C as well
    </OT>

    > That's what I am trying to find out.
    >
    > AC

    Rob Gamble

    tigervamp, Aug 22, 2004
  11. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:12:41 GMT, Keith Thompson <> wrote:

    > Alan Connor <> writes:
    > [...]
    > [...]
    >> There are utilities for converting one programming language to another.
    >>
    >> Lots of them. For major and minor languages.
    >>
    >> (The very program I am referring to above, html2ps, is
    >> such a program. HTML is a language understood by webbrowsers, and PS is
    >> a language understood by printers.)
    >>
    >> Why not this one?
    >>
    >> Why couldn't that programmer that knows both languages sit down and
    >> write a perl2C converter in C?
    >>
    >> The answer is, of course, that they could.
    >>
    >> Have they?
    >>
    >> That's what I am trying to find out.

    > Such a tool does in fact exist.
    >
    > See my article <>, posted 2003-11-05, subject
    > 'Re: "Mastering C Pointers"....', for an explanation of the reason I'm
    > choosing not to share more information with you. My final statement
    > in that article still stands, but I make no promises.
    >
    ><http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=lzptg77jsg.fsf%40cts.com>
    >
    > Just a reminder that behavior has consequences.

    Here's the article:

    <quote>

    From: Keith Thompson ()
    Subject: Re: "Mastering C Pointers"....
    Original Format
    Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
    Date: 2003-11-04 16:06:20 PST

    Alan Connor <> writes:
    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 21:30:30 GMT, Keith Thompson <> wrote: [snip]
    > > That's my advice. Take it or leave it.

    > I think for myself, Keith.
    >
    > And I think you are a liar, and am sick of this continued smear campaign
    > against Roose.

    Mr. Connor, you are a fool. I freely admit that any statement I make
    might be mistaken, but I have not deliberately lied in this thread or
    any other, and I deeply resent the accusation. I was honestly trying
    to offer you the benefit of my experience, and this is how you respond.

    If I used a killfile, you would now be in it. If I see you posting
    misinformation, I may or may not post a correction for the benefit of
    others. I will not make any further attempts to help you; others will
    do as they wish.

    (If you wish to apologize, I will consider disregarding your
    accusation and moving on.)

    <snip>

    </quote>

    You were visciously and unfairly attacking that fellow.

    If you do it again, you will get the same sort of post from me.

    Don't like it? Then eat shit.

    Or change your behavior, you arrogant fucking punk.

    ---------

    Thanks for letting me know that the program exists.

    Finding it is now just a matter of legwork.

    If you are lying about this, the whole Usenet will learn of it,
    and you will be killfiled in droves.

    People will know that you not only cannot be trusted, but maliciously
    mislead people.

    Actions do indeed have consequences.

    AC

    Alan Connor, Aug 22, 2004
  12. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On 22 Aug 2004 14:50:15 -0700, tigervamp <> wrote:

    > Alan Connor <> wrote in message news:<Br5Wc.30453$>...

    > If you just want to get an html to postscript converter on your
    > machine, you can download one of many such C programs.

    That's very good news.

    > <OT> It is
    > also possible to convert a perl program into a native executable using
    > freely available experimental software or the Perl2Exe software
    > provided by indigoSTAR (www.indigostar.com). You could then run this
    > converted Perl program on a machibe that does not have Perl </OT>

    That must be what Joe Smith was talking about.

    >> > LOL!

    >> There are utilities for converting one programming language to another.
    >>
    >> Lots of them. For major and minor languages.

    > Not sure what you mean by major and minor languages.
    >
    >> (The very program I am referring to above, html2ps, is
    >> such a program. HTML is a language understood by webbrowsers, and PS is
    >> a language understood by printers.)
    >> Why not this one?

    ><OT> I think there is a big difference here. First, html and ps are
    > not programming languages, they are markup languages used to describe
    > how something should be presented.

    They are still programming languages of a sort. And PS is considerably
    more complex than HTML, because it contains all sorts of instructions
    to the printer.

    > Additionally, most of the time,
    > html and ps documents are not read or written by hand, they are
    > created and presented with tools that understand the language which is
    > why I think that tools that can convert between them are more useful
    > (since there probably aren't many people that can convert to or from
    > postscript by hand). A tool to convert between programming languages,
    > especially between something like C and Perl, would be much more
    > difficult to implement and would probably require some knowledge of
    > both languages just to use in most cases anyway. I also don't think
    > the demand is there. </OT>

    What a printer can deal with is much simpler HTML than a browser can
    deal with, obviously.

    This is simple to write by hand. I do it all the time.

    It seems to me that the first step in such a program would be to convert
    the HTML source to HTML 2.0, (or thereabouts) and then to convert it to PS.

    By-the-way: Keith Thompson <> says that a perl2C program exists....

    (and is arrogant enough to think I will take his word for it even though
    it came packaged in another of the attacks the creep loves to launch.
    <snicker>)

    >> Why couldn't that programmer that knows both languages sit down and
    >> write a perl2C converter in C?
    >>
    >> The answer is, of course, that they could.
    >>
    >> Have they?

    ><OT> Not that I am aware of, and as I said above, it probably wouldn't
    > be an seamless solution. It would also probably involve having Perl
    > installed on the machine doing the conversion. I also don't think
    > that many people who know both languages are very interested in
    > creating such a tool (and apparently they aren't). Perl is more of a
    > high-level scripting language and most people that use it don't really
    > have an interest in having their programs converted to C. Alot of
    > people using Perl have migrated from C or have a dislike for C as well
    ></OT>

    I use bash for a scripting language. Works fine.

    >> That's what I am trying to find out.
    >>
    >> AC

    > Rob Gamble

    Thanks Rob.

    AC

    Alan Connor, Aug 22, 2004
  13. On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Keith Thompson wrote:

    > Alan Connor <> writes:
    >>
    >> Why couldn't that programmer that knows both languages sit down and
    >> write a perl2C converter in C?

    > Such a tool does in fact exist.
    >
    > See my article <>, posted 2003-11-05, subject
    > 'Re: "Mastering C Pointers"....', for an explanation of the reason I'm
    > choosing not to share more information with you. My final statement
    > in that article still stands, but I make no promises.
    >
    > <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=lzptg77jsg.fsf%40cts.com>
    >
    > Just a reminder that behavior has consequences.

    Expressions of respect and support to Keith for that! :) I hope
    it won't be perceived as too much of an undermining for me to point
    out that Alan's question is indeed a FAQ in the appropriate newsgroup,
    and it's /really easy/ to find the answer using a search engine.
    And that I think I know what tool you're thinking of, and the generated
    code is absolutely impenetrable. ;)

    -Arthur,
    re-reading "The Diamond Age"

    Arthur J. O'Dwyer, Aug 23, 2004
  14. On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:19:50 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

    > By-the-way: Keith Thompson <> says that a perl2C program
    > exists....

    There is something called perlcc, a google search will provide plenty of
    insight. I don't know if it will help you though, I just "compiled" a
    31kB perl script into C and the result was 8MB of unreadable code.
    Compiling the code resulted in a 3.5MB executable that dies immediately. I
    think this requires Perl installed and it appears to include the Perl
    source into the program. This program appears to be fairly new and
    probably has a long way to go before it is very useful.

    Rob Gamble

    Robert Gamble, Aug 23, 2004
  15. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:14:58 -0400, Robert Gamble <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:19:50 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    >
    >> By-the-way: Keith Thompson <> says that a perl2C program
    >> exists....

    > There is something called perlcc, a google search will provide plenty of
    > insight. I don't know if it will help you though, I just "compiled" a
    > 31kB perl script into C and the result was 8MB of unreadable code.

    Yow.

    Not very well commented?

    :))

    > Compiling the code resulted in a 3.5MB executable that dies immediately. I
    > think this requires Perl installed and it appears to include the Perl
    > source into the program. This program appears to be fairly new and
    > probably has a long way to go before it is very useful.
    >
    > Rob Gamble

    But this information is very useful.

    Thank you, Rob. It may well be that an html2ps app in C is the answer
    here and I have seen evidence that they exist.

    There's one called a2ps, but it isn't being maintained and requires
    netscape.

    AC

    Alan Connor, Aug 23, 2004
  16. On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:50:26 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:14:58 -0400, Robert Gamble
    > <> wrote:
    >>

    >> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:19:50 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    >>
    >>> By-the-way: Keith Thompson <> says that a perl2C program
    >>> exists....

    >> There is something called perlcc, a google search will provide plenty
    >> of insight. I don't know if it will help you though, I just "compiled"
    >> a 31kB perl script into C and the result was 8MB of unreadable code.

    > Yow.
    >
    > Not very well commented?
    >
    > :))
    >
    >> Compiling the code resulted in a 3.5MB executable that dies
    >> immediately. I think this requires Perl installed and it appears to
    >> include the Perl source into the program. This program appears to be
    >> fairly new and probably has a long way to go before it is very useful.
    >>
    >> Rob Gamble

    > But this information is very useful.
    >
    > Thank you, Rob. It may well be that an html2ps app in C is the answer
    > here and I have seen evidence that they exist.
    >
    > There's one called a2ps, but it isn't being maintained and requires
    > netscape.
    >
    > AC

    How about this:
    http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/index.php
    http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/htmldoc

    Rob Gamble

    Robert Gamble, Aug 23, 2004
  17. Alan Connor

    CBFalconer Guest

    Alan Connor wrote:
    > Joe Smith <> wrote:
    >> Alan Connor wrote:
    >>
    >>> There's this utility called html2ps that's written in perl, but
    >>> the box I want to run it on doesn't have room for perl. It does
    >>> have room for a C compiler.

    >> A general purpose perl-to-C converter will be the same size as
    >> perl itself. If the program you're coverting uses eval($string),
    >> then you'd have to include the *entire* perl language.

    > Sure, but the perl-to-C converter would not have to be on the box
    > that I want to run html2ps on. I can do the conversion and
    > compilation elsewhere and then have a nice little C binary to
    > install on that box, which will be a small fraction of the size
    > of perl and the perl html2ps.

    So sit down with a listing of html2ps.prl as a guide, and write
    your own C version. That limits your understanding of perl to the
    portions used. The critical thing is how to massage the data.

    --
    fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2.
    to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences

    CBFalconer, Aug 23, 2004
  18. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:21:57 -0400, Robert Gamble <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:50:26 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:14:58 -0400, Robert Gamble
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> There is something called perlcc, a google search will provide plenty
    >>> of insight. I don't know if it will help you though, I just "compiled"
    >>> a 31kB perl script into C and the result was 8MB of unreadable code.

    >> Yow.
    >>
    >> Not very well commented?
    >>
    >> :))
    >>
    >>> Compiling the code resulted in a 3.5MB executable that dies
    >>> immediately. I think this requires Perl installed and it appears to
    >>> include the Perl source into the program. This program appears to be
    >>> fairly new and probably has a long way to go before it is very useful.
    >>>
    >>> Rob Gamble

    >> But this information is very useful.
    >>
    >> Thank you, Rob. It may well be that an html2ps app in C is the answer
    >> here and I have seen evidence that they exist.
    >>
    >> There's one called a2ps, but it isn't being maintained and requires
    >> netscape.
    >>
    >> AC

    > How about this:
    > http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/index.php
    > http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/htmldoc
    >
    > Rob Gamble

    Package: htmldoc
    Section: web
    Installed-Size: 1508
    Maintainer: Jeff Licquia <>
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 1.8.14-1
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), libfltk1, libjpeg62, libpng2 (>= 1.0.12), xlibs (>>
    4.1.0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.3)
    Filename: pool/main/h/htmldoc/htmldoc_1.8.14-1_i386.deb
    Size: 854002
    MD5sum: 6d393d0d1dbe2a9041b7df243d8ef2ed
    HTMLDOC is a program for writing documentation in HTML and producing
    indexed HTML, PostScript, or PDF output (with tables of contents).
    It supports most HTML 3.2 and some HTML 4.0 syntax, as well as GIF,
    JPEG, and PNG images.

    That sure does look promising, Rob. Thanks.

    I thought I had searched /var/lib/dpkg/available thoroughly, but there
    it was...

    <slaps head>

    <ouch>

    :)

    Will let you know how it works on my simple HTML.

    Let's see: Su to root and run apt-get install htmldoc.

    I can handle that.

    AC

    Alan Connor, Aug 23, 2004
  19. Alan Connor

    Alan Connor Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:15:13 GMT, Alan Connor <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:05:10 GMT, Joe Smith <> wrote:
    >>

    >> Alan Connor wrote:
    >>
    >>> There's this utility called html2ps that's written in perl, but
    >>> the box I want to run it on doesn't have room for perl. It does
    >>> have room for a C compiler.

    >> A general purpose perl-to-C converter will be the same size as perl itself.
    >> If the program you're coverting uses eval($string), then you'd have to
    >> include the *entire* perl language.
    >> -Joe

    > Sure, but the perl-to-C converter would not have to be on the box that
    > I want to run html2ps on. I can do the conversion and compilation elsewhere
    > and then have a nice little C binary to install on that box, which will be
    > a small fraction of the size of perl and the perl html2ps.
    >
    > AC

    I remember you, Mr. Falconer.

    Pardon me while I ignore your posts.

    AC