    surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
    see who uses which browser.

    Bill
    William Gill, Aug 19, 2011

  2. William Gill

    TK Guest

    On 8/19/2011 10:03 AM, William Gill wrote:
    > I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    > (for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
    > just malfunction.
    >
    > I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    > tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    > surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
    > see who uses which browser.

    I am using FF 6.0 and have not noticed many serious problems, certainly
    not enough to make me change. On my designs, I seem to have the most
    problems with Safari.

    --
    TK ~ aka Terry Kimpling
    http://wejuggle2.com/
    TK, Aug 19, 2011

  3. William Gill

    123Jim Guest

    On 19/08/2011 16:03, William Gill wrote:
    > I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    > (for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
    > just malfunction.
    >
    > I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    > tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    > surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
    > see who uses which browser.
    >
    > Bill

    FF6 here ... no problems here except those caused by the Noscript addon
    disabling javascript unless I choose to enable it .. but that is my choice.

    If you are having some problems it could be one of your addons.
    123Jim, Aug 19, 2011
  4. William Gill

    Jim S Guest

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:15:54 -0500, TK wrote:

    > On 8/19/2011 10:03 AM, William Gill wrote:
    >> I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    >> (for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
    >> just malfunction.
    >>
    >> I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    >> tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    >> surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
    >> see who uses which browser.

    > I am using FF 6.0 and have not noticed many serious problems, certainly
    > not enough to make me change. On my designs, I seem to have the most
    > problems with Safari.

    FF 6.0 for me too at the moment, but getting increasingly frustrated by the
    add-ons lagging behind the upgrades.
    I would use Chrome if only the bookmarks were in a permanent sidebar - like
    all other browsers!
    I use IEtab in FF and in Chrome for difficult sites. In both you can set it
    to know when a site needs IE and go there automatically
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Aug 19, 2011
  5. William Gill

    picayunish Guest

    On 19-8-2011 17:31, 123Jim wrote:
    > On 19/08/2011 16:03, William Gill wrote:
    >> I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    >> (for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
    >> just malfunction.
    >>
    >> I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    >> tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    >> surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
    >> see who uses which browser.
    >>
    >> Bill

    > FF6 here ... no problems here except those caused by the Noscript addon
    > disabling javascript unless I choose to enable it .. but that is my choice.
    >
    > If you are having some problems it could be one of your addons.

    Or it could be the design of the pages.
    I mean the declarations or not closing the tags properly.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Aug 19, 2011
  6. William Gill

    picayunish Guest

    On 19-8-2011 17:03, William Gill wrote:
    > I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    > (for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
    > just malfunction.
    >
    > I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    > tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    > surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
    > see who uses which browser.

    Can you give us a link to such site.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Aug 19, 2011
  7. William Gill wrote:
    > I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    > (for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
    > just malfunction.
    >
    > I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    > tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    > surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
    > see who uses which browser.

    URLs? I hear of "these" sites, often from IE advocates, but they never
    seem to produce examples.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 19, 2011
  8. On Aug 19, 8:03 am, William Gill <> wrote:
    > I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    > (for personal business) using Firefox.  Some render incorrectly, some
    > just malfunction.
    >
    > I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    > tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    > surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving.  So I thought I'd poll to
    > see who uses which browser.
    >
    > Bill

    I use Firefox, the only problem I have (very occasionally) is in
    printing. On some sites I can only print page 1 and on others not at
    all. In these cases I switch to IE with no problem.

    I've never bothered to figure out why.

    http://www.richardfisher.com
    Helpful person, Aug 19, 2011
  9. William Gill

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Aug 19, 10:03 am, William Gill <> wrote:
    > I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    > (for personal business) using Firefox.  Some render incorrectly, some
    > just malfunction.
    >
    > I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    > tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    > surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving.  So I thought I'd poll to
    > see who uses which browser.

    I usually have about 8 browsers installed to see how my web pages view
    on them. For my own personal use, I usually use the current stable
    version of Firefox, which is 6 at the moment. When I find a site with
    a problem on Firefox, I usually bookmark it on Opera and use Opera for
    repeated visits to the site. I had to do this when viewing the local
    newspaper online, which uses pdf. I sometimes use IE9 for viewing
    media, for some still use ActiveX media code only which will not view
    properly on some other browsers.

    All browsers I have used for an extended time have some bugs,
    especially for media. At update time, some old bugs get corrected,
    while new bugs may pop up. It is especially important to view your
    media pages on each new update of a browser. Also it is import to view
    on different OSs. Do not assume that because your video views well on
    a Vista 32-bit OS that it will also view well on a Vista 64-bit OS,
    for example. example.

    View my page at http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/RoscoeGreetings.php and
    select the Real player button. There you will find a description of a
    current bug for Firefox.

    For detailed discussion of Firefox problems, you may wish to visit a
    Firefox or Mozilla group. If some Firefox bug especially bothers you,
    you should report it to Bugzilla so the proper people at Mozilla are
    more likely to notice your problem.
    cwdjrxyz, Aug 19, 2011
  10. William Gill

    picayunish Guest

    On 19-8-2011 21:20, Helpful person wrote:
    > On Aug 19, 8:03 am, William Gill<> wrote:
    >> I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    >> (for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
    >> just malfunction.
    >>
    >> I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    >> tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    >> surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
    >> see who uses which browser.
    >>
    >> Bill

    > I use Firefox, the only problem I have (very occasionally) is in
    > printing. On some sites I can only print page 1 and on others not at
    > all. In these cases I switch to IE with no problem.
    >
    > I've never bothered to figure out why.
    >
    > http://www.richardfisher.com

    In this case.
    The area that will be printed is restricted by the stylesheet (@media
    print) of the page.

    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Gecko based browsers (like Firefox, Opera, Safari, Mozilla, Netscape,
    etc.) use stylesheet of the pages for print layout. If @media print is
    not available in the stylesheet, than the complete layout will be printed.
    IE print the complete layout and leave the stylesheet alone.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Aug 19, 2011
  11. William Gill

    dorayme Guest

    In article <5bhudvg45jvj$>,
    Jim S <> wrote:

    > FF 6.0 for me too at the moment, but getting increasingly frustrated by the
    > add-ons lagging behind the upgrades.

    You don't have to upgrade when they urge you too, but perhaps on
    Windows their notices are a little scary (about security). You
    can wait a while giving it time to settle with updated add-ons.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 19, 2011
  12. William Gill

    Neil Gould Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:

    > If some Firefox bug especially bothers you,
    > you should report it to Bugzilla so the proper people at Mozilla are
    > more likely to notice your problem.

    Too bad there isn't anything to be done about Mozilla taking FF in a
    direction that "especially" bothers me. Like the absolutely ridiculous UI
    for their "save password" annoyance that only reads one field and forces you
    to reach for the mouse. Or the fact that generated pages sometimes don't
    render via view page source for troubleshooting, which worked properly in
    FF3.x, FF4.x, and even IE6 gets that right, but it was broken in FF5!

    I could go on and on, but I see little value in that.

    --
    Neil
    Neil Gould, Aug 19, 2011
  13. William Gill

    William Gill Guest

    On 8/19/2011 2:20 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > William Gill wrote:
    >> I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    >> (for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
    >> just malfunction.
    >>
    >> I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    >> tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    >> surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
    >> see who uses which browser.
    >>

    > URLs? I hear of "these" sites, often from IE advocates, but they never
    > seem to produce examples.

    Jonathan,

    I'm not an IE advocate, I prefer FF. However, usually when I find a page
    that doesn't work in FF, and it does in IE I know the designer assumes
    IE is the only browser that matters. In more recent cases FF is the
    only one giving me fits.

    As for URLs, I don't think I'll post my Banking page, or other personal
    business pages, but that's just me.

    Bill
    William Gill, Aug 20, 2011
  14. William Gill wrote:
    > On 8/19/2011 2:20 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >> URLs? I hear of "these" sites, often from IE advocates, but they never
    >> seem to produce examples.
    >>

    > Jonathan,
    >
    > I'm not an IE advocate, I prefer FF. However, usually when I find a page
    > that doesn't work in FF, and it does in IE I know the designer assumes
    > IE is the only browser that matters. In more recent cases FF is the only
    > one giving me fits.
    >
    > As for URLs, I don't think I'll post my Banking page, or other personal
    > business pages, but that's just me.

    But yet again these mysterious websites elude identification. We don't
    need your personal account, but a URL to some example would dispel the
    doubt. Also if such bank's website had a an IE-only website your should
    let them know, they shouldn't be in the business of picking your
    OS...what are Mac and Linux users suppose to do?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 20, 2011
  15. William Gill

    dorayme Guest

    In article <j2n9bt$ejs$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Also if such bank's website had a an IE-only website your should
    > let them know, they shouldn't be in the business of picking your
    > OS...what are Mac and Linux users suppose to do?

    I got onto my bank for their lousy website, it did not easily get
    through to them that it was their end that was the trouble.

    You are right that it would be interesting to see examples of
    websites that only work properly in some browsers.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 20, 2011
  16. dorayme wrote:
    > In article<j2n9bt$ejs$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little"<> wrote:
    >
    >> Also if such bank's website had a an IE-only website your should
    >> let them know, they shouldn't be in the business of picking your
    >> OS...what are Mac and Linux users suppose to do?

    > I got onto my bank for their lousy website, it did not easily get
    > through to them that it was their end that was the trouble.
    >
    > You are right that it would be interesting to see examples of
    > websites that only work properly in some browsers.

    I've see a few by rank amateurs that used "pro" tools like MS Publisher
    and MS Word...but they didn't really work in IE either!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 20, 2011
  17. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed William Gill
    <> writing in news:j2ltve$lo6$:

    > I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    > (for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
    > just malfunction.
    >
    > I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
    > tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    > surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll
    > to see who uses which browser.
    >
    > Bill

    For me, it's Opera, then Chrome, then Firefox. The only site I really
    use Firefox for is LogMeIn - just a sec, checking for Logmein plugin ...
    I'm still waiting... connecting ... phew! it works.

    Firefox 6 still seems slow compared to Opera 11, for me at least.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 20, 2011
  18. On Aug 19, 2:49 pm, picayunish <> wrote:
    > On 19-8-2011 21:20, Helpful person wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 19, 8:03 am, William Gill<>  wrote:
    > >>  I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
    > >>  (for personal business) using Firefox.  Some render incorrectly, some
    > >>  just malfunction.

    > >>  I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grinsI
    > >>  tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
    > >>  surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving.  So I thought I'd poll to
    > >>  see who uses which browser.

    > >>  Bill

    > > I use Firefox, the only problem I have (very occasionally) is in
    > > printing.  On some sites I can only print page 1 and on others not at
    > > all.  In these cases I switch to IE with no problem.

    > > I've never bothered to figure out why.

    > >http://www.richardfisher.com

    > In this case.
    > The area that will be printed is restricted by the stylesheet (@media
    > print) of the page.
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong.
    > Gecko based browsers (like Firefox, Opera, Safari, Mozilla, Netscape,
    > etc.) use stylesheet of the pages for print layout. If @media print is
    > not available in the stylesheet, than the complete layout will be printed..
    > IE print the complete layout and leave the stylesheet alone.
    > --
    > Edwin van der Vaart

    I wasn't aware that IE treated printing differently.
    Helpful person, Aug 20, 2011
  19. William Gill

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:05:50 +1000, dorayme wrote:

    > In article <5bhudvg45jvj$>,
    > Jim S <> wrote:
    >
    >> FF 6.0 for me too at the moment, but getting increasingly frustrated by the
    >> add-ons lagging behind the upgrades.

    > You don't have to upgrade when they urge you too, but perhaps on
    > Windows their notices are a little scary (about security). You
    > can wait a while giving it time to settle with updated add-ons.

    Hi dorayme
    How then would you know when they have all updated without popping in to
    check. Then version 7 appears. It will be interesting to see whether
    version 6's add-ons have caught up when version 7 hits the screen.
    I have gone back to playing with IE9 since this thread started.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Aug 20, 2011
  20. William Gill

    William Gill Guest

    On 8/19/2011 11:23 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > ... Also if such bank's website had a an IE-only website your should
    > let them know, they shouldn't be in the business of picking your
    > OS...what are Mac and Linux users suppose to do?

    I never miss the opportunity, and the answer is usually that the site
    has been certified to work with FF, which it doesn't. I can only waste
    so much time with them. If the dysfunction is minor, and I can work
    around it that's what I do. If not I let them know that without the
    functionality there are others who want my business.
    William Gill, Aug 20, 2011