OT personal choice of browser?

William Gill

I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
(for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
just malfunction.

I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
see who uses which browser.

Bill

TK

I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
(for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
just malfunction.

I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
see who uses which browser.

I am using FF 6.0 and have not noticed many serious problems, certainly
not enough to make me change. On my designs, I seem to have the most
problems with Safari.

1

123Jim

I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
(for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
just malfunction.

I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
see who uses which browser.

Bill

FF6 here ... no problems here except those caused by the Noscript addon
disabling javascript unless I choose to enable it .. but that is my choice.

If you are having some problems it could be one of your addons.

Jim S

I am using FF 6.0 and have not noticed many serious problems, certainly
not enough to make me change. On my designs, I seem to have the most
problems with Safari.

FF 6.0 for me too at the moment, but getting increasingly frustrated by the
add-ons lagging behind the upgrades.
I would use Chrome if only the bookmarks were in a permanent sidebar - like
all other browsers!
I use IEtab in FF and in Chrome for difficult sites. In both you can set it
to know when a site needs IE and go there automatically

picayunish

FF6 here ... no problems here except those caused by the Noscript addon
disabling javascript unless I choose to enable it .. but that is my choice.

If you are having some problems it could be one of your addons.

Or it could be the design of the pages.
I mean the declarations or not closing the tags properly.

picayunish

I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
(for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
just malfunction.

I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
see who uses which browser.

Can you give us a link to such site.

Jonathan N. Little

William said:
I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
(for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
just malfunction.

I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll to
see who uses which browser.

URLs? I hear of "these" sites, often from IE advocates, but they never
seem to produce examples.

Helpful person

I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
(for personal business) using Firefox.  Some render incorrectly, some
just malfunction.

I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving.  So I thought I'd poll to
see who uses which browser.

Bill

I use Firefox, the only problem I have (very occasionally) is in
printing. On some sites I can only print page 1 and on others not at
all. In these cases I switch to IE with no problem.

I've never bothered to figure out why.

http://www.richardfisher.com

cwdjrxyz

I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
(for personal business) using Firefox.  Some render incorrectly, some
just malfunction.

I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving.  So I thought I'd poll to
see who uses which browser.

I usually have about 8 browsers installed to see how my web pages view
on them. For my own personal use, I usually use the current stable
version of Firefox, which is 6 at the moment. When I find a site with
a problem on Firefox, I usually bookmark it on Opera and use Opera for
repeated visits to the site. I had to do this when viewing the local
newspaper online, which uses pdf. I sometimes use IE9 for viewing
media, for some still use ActiveX media code only which will not view
properly on some other browsers.

All browsers I have used for an extended time have some bugs,
especially for media. At update time, some old bugs get corrected,
while new bugs may pop up. It is especially important to view your
media pages on each new update of a browser. Also it is import to view
on different OSs. Do not assume that because your video views well on
a Vista 32-bit OS that it will also view well on a Vista 64-bit OS,
for example. example.

View my page at http://www.cwdjr.net/video7/RoscoeGreetings.php and
select the Real player button. There you will find a description of a
current bug for Firefox.

For detailed discussion of Firefox problems, you may wish to visit a
Firefox or Mozilla group. If some Firefox bug especially bothers you,
you should report it to Bugzilla so the proper people at Mozilla are
more likely to notice your problem.

picayunish

I use Firefox, the only problem I have (very occasionally) is in
printing. On some sites I can only print page 1 and on others not at
all. In these cases I switch to IE with no problem.

I've never bothered to figure out why.

http://www.richardfisher.com

In this case.
The area that will be printed is restricted by the stylesheet (@media
print) of the page.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Gecko based browsers (like Firefox, Opera, Safari, Mozilla, Netscape,
etc.) use stylesheet of the pages for print layout. If @media print is
not available in the stylesheet, than the complete layout will be printed.
IE print the complete layout and leave the stylesheet alone.

dorayme

Jim S said:
FF 6.0 for me too at the moment, but getting increasingly frustrated by the
add-ons lagging behind the upgrades.

You don't have to upgrade when they urge you too, but perhaps on
Windows their notices are a little scary (about security). You
can wait a while giving it time to settle with updated add-ons.

Neil Gould

cwdjrxyz said:
If some Firefox bug especially bothers you,
you should report it to Bugzilla so the proper people at Mozilla are
more likely to notice your problem.
Too bad there isn't anything to be done about Mozilla taking FF in a
direction that "especially" bothers me. Like the absolutely ridiculous UI
for their "save password" annoyance that only reads one field and forces you
to reach for the mouse. Or the fact that generated pages sometimes don't
render via view page source for troubleshooting, which worked properly in
FF3.x, FF4.x, and even IE6 gets that right, but it was broken in FF5!

I could go on and on, but I see little value in that.

William Gill

URLs? I hear of "these" sites, often from IE advocates, but they never
seem to produce examples.
Jonathan,

I'm not an IE advocate, I prefer FF. However, usually when I find a page
that doesn't work in FF, and it does in IE I know the designer assumes
IE is the only browser that matters. In more recent cases FF is the
only one giving me fits.

As for URLs, I don't think I'll post my Banking page, or other personal
business pages, but that's just me.

Bill

Jonathan N. Little

William said:
On 8/19/2011 2:20 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Jonathan,

I'm not an IE advocate, I prefer FF. However, usually when I find a page
that doesn't work in FF, and it does in IE I know the designer assumes
IE is the only browser that matters. In more recent cases FF is the only
one giving me fits.

As for URLs, I don't think I'll post my Banking page, or other personal
business pages, but that's just me.

But yet again these mysterious websites elude identification. We don't
need your personal account, but a URL to some example would dispel the
doubt. Also if such bank's website had a an IE-only website your should
let them know, they shouldn't be in the business of picking your
OS...what are Mac and Linux users suppose to do?

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little said:
Also if such bank's website had a an IE-only website your should
let them know, they shouldn't be in the business of picking your
OS...what are Mac and Linux users suppose to do?

I got onto my bank for their lousy website, it did not easily get
through to them that it was their end that was the trouble.

You are right that it would be interesting to see examples of
websites that only work properly in some browsers.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
I got onto my bank for their lousy website, it did not easily get
through to them that it was their end that was the trouble.

You are right that it would be interesting to see examples of
websites that only work properly in some browsers.

I've see a few by rank amateurs that used "pro" tools like MS Publisher
and MS Word...but they didn't really work in IE either!

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed William Gill
I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
(for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
just malfunction.

I'm used to some sites having a serious IE bias, but just for grins I
tried them with several other browsers (Opera, Safari, etc.) and was
surprised to see that only FF was misbehaving. So I thought I'd poll
to see who uses which browser.

Bill

For me, it's Opera, then Chrome, then Firefox. The only site I really
use Firefox for is LogMeIn - just a sec, checking for Logmein plugin ...
I'm still waiting... connecting ... phew! it works.

Firefox 6 still seems slow compared to Opera 11, for me at least.

Helpful person

In this case.
The area that will be printed is restricted by the stylesheet (@media
print) of the page.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Gecko based browsers (like Firefox, Opera, Safari, Mozilla, Netscape,
etc.) use stylesheet of the pages for print layout. If @media print is
not available in the stylesheet, than the complete layout will be printed..
IE print the complete layout and leave the stylesheet alone.

I wasn't aware that IE treated printing differently.

Jim S

You don't have to upgrade when they urge you too, but perhaps on
Windows their notices are a little scary (about security). You
can wait a while giving it time to settle with updated add-ons.

Hi dorayme
How then would you know when they have all updated without popping in to
check. Then version 7 appears. It will be interesting to see whether
version 6's add-ons have caught up when version 7 hits the screen.
I have gone back to playing with IE9 since this thread started.

William Gill

... Also if such bank's website had a an IE-only website your should
let them know, they shouldn't be in the business of picking your
OS...what are Mac and Linux users suppose to do?

I never miss the opportunity, and the answer is usually that the site
has been certified to work with FF, which it doesn't. I can only waste
so much time with them. If the dysfunction is minor, and I can work
around it that's what I do. If not I let them know that without the
functionality there are others who want my business.