OT personal choice of browser?

dorayme

Jim S said:
Hi dorayme
How then would you know when they have all updated without popping in to
check.

You wouldn't, but the point is that this is OK, it is OK to be a
late getting things, we all need to slow down and stop aiding and
abetting those who are hell bent on improving things toot sweet
(I can use such phrases because I did 6 years of French in an
English boarding school).
Then version 7 appears. It will be interesting to see whether
version 6's add-ons have caught up when version 7 hits the screen.
I have gone back to playing with IE9 since this thread started.

Well, how important are all these add-ons to you? If they are
very important, wait a while till "upgrading", till the
add-on-man has time to catch up.

The truth is probably that new versions of everything come out on
a second by second basis these days fixing mostly obscure little
things that would affect very few people very rarely. Perhaps
security issues are a bigger driver of these things than I am
imagining but I bet most of us would never notice anything
particularly bad if we upgraded everything on out computers about
90% less! And we would likely be more productive. Imagine messing
about with a good functioning car like this, it would drive one
crazy!

Jim S

[...]

I'm sure you are right on all counts.
I ought to get a life I know.
I suppose it would be too much to think perhaps I taught you.

dorayme

The truth is probably that new versions of everything come out on
a second by second basis these days fixing mostly obscure little
things that would affect very few people very rarely. Perhaps
security issues are a bigger driver of these things than I am
imagining but I bet most of us would never notice anything
particularly bad if we upgraded everything on our computers about
90% less! And we would likely be more productive. Imagine messing
about with a good functioning car like this, it would drive one
crazy!

I'm sure you are right on all counts.
I ought to get a life I know.
I suppose it would be too much to think perhaps I taught you.[/QUOTE]

I learn from everyone, including you Jim. In fact more than
taught. All of you and all the characters in all the books and
movies are so influential with me that I have become a container
for all of you and them.

Jim S

I'm sure you are right on all counts.
I ought to get a life I know.
I suppose it would be too much to think perhaps I taught you.

I learn from everyone, including you Jim. In fact more than
taught. All of you and all the characters in all the books and
movies are so influential with me that I have become a container
for all of you and them.[/QUOTE]

Nah - at yer English boarding school.

Jonathan N. Little

Ed said:
Yep, it is annoying to do an upgrade and have several extensions
"break." However, there is often a way you can get around it by editing
the install.rdf file for the extension and changing the version number.
If you're interested I'll be glad to post the process here.

Now if only that would work Mnenhy extension on SM 2.3, but sadly it
doesn't so I will have to wait for the author :-(

William Gill

STATUS UPDATE:

Though The problem with my bank seems to have resolved by what I call FM
theory (F-ing magic. No one admits to doing anything, but the problem
is gone).

Here's the URL to one of the other sites.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv-listings

When I first arrive it display's correctly, but when I select any option
to see another date or block of times, the column headings in the
generated page display a date (sometimes the day requested, sometimes
the day after) instead of the time.

Since this thread began, I have discovered that even though only FF
seems to have the problem, a much older version of FF (V3.6) on one of
our laptops, and on another desktop works fine, but I do remember the
problem existed with FF.

It could be something specific to the configuration (add-ons, etc.) of
the desktop I primarily use, or FF6, or it could be some of the
JavaScript. Either way, its peaked my curiosity now, and I will have to
do some more digging and experimenting.

William Gill

Yep, it is annoying to do an upgrade and have several extensions
"break." However, there is often a way you can get around it by editing
the install.rdf file for the extension and changing the version number.
If you're interested I'll be glad to post the process here.
Ed,

I wouldn't mind knowing, if its not to involved, or if it is maybe just
a link to the procedure.

[...]

FF safe mode == problem gone.

I think we have a winner.

Stanimir Stamenkov

Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:19:31 -0400, /Jonathan N. Little/:
Now if only that would work Mnenhy extension on SM 2.3, but sadly it
doesn't so I will have to wait for the author :-(

You just have to ask the author personally. The direction is given on:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/2.1/AddonCompat#Needs_Compatibility_Override

I've been using the Mnenhy 0.8.4 pre-release versions (currently at
0.8.4pre5, marked compatible with SM 2.3) since SM 2.1 with no trouble.

William Gill

On 8/21/2011 12:18 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
Ed,

Disregard my last, I see that install.rdf is a simple xml file. If I
can't figure out how to modify it, I shouldn't be messing with it.

Irina Rempt

Jonathan said:
Also if such bank's website had a an IE-only website your should
let them know, they shouldn't be in the business of picking your
OS...what are Mac and Linux users suppose to do?

According to one company I mailed about it, use "what everybody else uses"
-- at the time, Windows XP and IE6. But that was at a time that only artists
used Mac, and only techies used Linux, I suppose.

I did my business with another company, and told the first company that if
they couldn't be bothered to make me welcome I'd assume they didn't want my
custom.

Come to think of it, there was a time that my bank didn't like Firefox so I
started using Opera for telebanking. I still do; my bookmarks and saved
field-fillers are there.

Irina

Doug Miller

Question about this line from your sig:

Does that mean "I can start, I will persevere, I shall finish" or
something close to that?

Lewis

In message said:
I seem to be encountering more and more difficulty with sites I visit
(for personal business) using Firefox. Some render incorrectly, some
just malfunction.

Yep. Firefox is pretty sucky now a-days.

I use Safari for most everything and fire up Chrome if I need flash (I
don't have Flash installed, but Chrome includes its own).

I think I fired up IE9 once.

Lewis

In message said:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong :)
Gecko based browsers (like Firefox, Opera, Safari, Mozilla, Netscape,
etc.) use stylesheet of the pages for print layout. If @media print is

Safari (and Chrome) are not Gecko, they are Webkit. Webkit also is the
basis of the Kindle browser.

Irina Rempt

Doug said:
Question about this line from your sig:

Does that mean "I can start, I will persevere, I shall finish" or
something close to that?

Yes, it does (I tend to put it "I can begin, I want to persevere, I shall
succeed" though). It's on a house in Haarlem (where I was born) that I
thought for a long time was 17th-century, but it's actually a very good
nineteen-teens imitation.

The line you can't read is the translation of the same into my conlang
Ilaini (http://www.valdyas.org/irina/valdyas/ilaini). It's a shame that the
future is a stand-alone tense and doesn't use an auxiliary verb, or it would
be even more catchy.

Irina

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Lewis
You're wrong :)

Safari (and Chrome) are not Gecko, they are Webkit. Webkit also is the
basis of the Kindle browser.

And Opera is not Gecko either, it's Presto.