    of administration. I will have to maitain the systems where it runs on also.

    Any comments?
    flupke

    flupke, Apr 24, 2004

  2. flupke

    F. GEIGER Guest

    Plone is based on Zope, i.e. Plone := Zope + CMS-components.

    Installation is easy (can speak only for Win2k) and I suggest that you
    simply try it. I'm sure that after 2 or 3 hours you know whether or not
    Plone is yours.

    Cheers
    Franz

    "flupke" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi,
    >
    > i've read some user comments on Zope. As was to be expected some say
    > it's cool, others says it's difficult and not easy to debug.
    > I would use Plone as CMS for our intranet which will also be a platform
    > for our tools. Does plone make it even more difficult to get going or does
    > it
    > hide some of the difficulties of Zope?
    > I'm kind of in a dillema here, the more i read about Python, the more i

    like

    F. GEIGER, Apr 24, 2004

  3. flupke

    Tim Hoffman Guest

    I have been using Zope now since 2000. I would recommend it highly.
    If you want stuff done for you out of the box definately go with Plone.

    Really I don't understand a lot of peoples complaints about Zopes
    complexity. It like all products has it warts, but its a hell
    of lot easier to fit in your head than Apache/Tomcat plus all the
    Java stuff ;-). And you can't have all the features of Zope without
    complexity.

    Just my 2c worth

    Rgds

    Tim

    Tim Hoffman, Apr 24, 2004
  4. flupke

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Tim Hoffman wrote:

    > Really I don't understand a lot of peoples complaints about Zopes
    > complexity.

    I'd be interested to hear what products you have written on
    Zope, and which of the available techniques (e.g. Python scripts,
    Python products, DTML, TAL, or whatever else there is now)
    you used to write them.

    This might also tell us something about why you don't understand
    the complaints of those of us who have struggled greatly with
    such things in the past...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Apr 24, 2004
  5. flupke

    bobb Guest

    Just 'cause it's cool doesn't mean it's not difficult... I think (thanks to
    tracebacks) it's very easy to debug, though.
    Zope w/ Plone, by itself CAN be a slam dunk (like Franz Says above), but
    extending it takes knowledge.
    Zope has a long learning first gear, so to speak.
    There's alot that CAN go on. Alot of people have written products that sit
    on top of it.
    The biggest problem I find is the lack of documentation IMO.
    The community is the best, though.
    You don't need CMS for content management. It all depends on what you want
    to do.

    Zope is a framework. You still have to build the house, though. Plone
    takes care of alot of that out of the box.
    You may not need Plone, you may not even need zope CMS, either.

    bobb

    bobb, Apr 24, 2004
  6. flupke

    flupke Guest

    bobb wrote:
    > Zope is a framework. You still have to build the house, though.
    > Plone takes care of alot of that out of the box.
    > You may not need Plone, you may not even need zope CMS, either.
    >
    > bobb

    Well, the users need to be able to manage their own pages with an
    internal editor, version control, workflow (qa,publish) and so on.
    So if i would have to program that myself, it would take me longer
    than i have time for.

    flupke

    flupke, Apr 25, 2004
  7. flupke

    Josef Meile Guest

    flupke wrote:

    > Well, the users need to be able to manage their own pages with an
    > internal editor, version control, workflow (qa,publish) and so on.
    > So if i would have to program that myself, it would take me longer
    > than i have time for.

    Well, you could also consider only CMF (CMS on which Plone is based)
    or Silva, which doesn't have many products or documentation like CMF
    or Plone, but it offers a nice way to publish web pages without having
    to know html and it offers also a nice version/workflow control.

    Regards,
    Josef

    Josef Meile, Apr 26, 2004
  8. Zope has some very powerful features (ZODB, CMF, etc.), but its
    documentation - particularly from the developer viewpoint - is
    INSANELY FRUSTRATING. After writing a few simple products, I've found
    that it's often easier for simple applications to take a
    from-the-ground-up approach with twisted.web.

    Lonnie Princehouse, Apr 26, 2004