(OT) Programmer's editors for the Mac

Timothy Hunter

Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm looking
for a GUI-type editor.

James Edward Gray II

Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm
looking for a GUI-type editor.

I've used BBEdit for many years now. It's a very polished very
Mac-style editor, but the price is steep:

http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.shtml

Recently, I am playing with TextMate as well. The price is much
friendlier and many of its automation features are very impressive.
It's young, which I would say is a blessing and a curse. One the plus
side, it's under heavy development and you can literally see the
changes weekly. On the downside, it's still a little rough around some
edges:

http://macromates.com/

I suggest trying the demos.

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

Alexander Kellett

Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm
looking for a GUI-type editor.

as soon as i find the time i'll be porting ruvi to
qt4 with a very pretty custom text edit widget.

who wants to provide me with 72 hour days? ;)

Alex

Shalev NessAiver

Well, FreeIDE seems to work fine. You can get it from darwinports
(http://darwinports.opendarwin.org).
Just install darwinports and type "sudo port install freeride".

As the name suggests, this solution is $39.99 cheaper than TextMate and
works pretty well.

-Shalev

Brian Blazer

I use eclipse. With very easily installed plugins, it will work with
just about any language you want. The GUI is very intuitive, and it
has a lot of great functions. Plus it is FREE!!!

Brian

Jarek Rzeszótko

Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm looking
for a GUI-type editor.
Don't forget that real programmers use Emacs. After installing some
packages it has Ruby syntax highlighing, auto indent, can run an
embedded Ruby interpreter, has an interface to ri and so on... Eclipse
with Ruby plugin and FreeRIDE are some easier alternatives and can also
be interesting.

Jarek Rzeszótko

Mark Hubbart

Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm looking
for a GUI-type editor.

For a text editor with syntax highlighting and lightweight code
browsing, check out SubEthaEdit
(http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/). Besides having a nice
mac-ish interface, it also has some nifty collaborative features.

And it's free (for non-commercial use, US$35 otherwise)

cheers,
Mark

Thomas Kirchner

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

* On Feb 14 9:02 said:
I already know vi. I'm looking for a GUI-type editor.

It has to be said. Gvim :) If you already know vi, it's the
only way to fly.
Tom

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb--

Karl von Laudermann

Timothy said:
Just got a new Powerbook, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good
programmer's editor for both Ruby and C. I already know vi. I'm looking
for a GUI-type editor.

XCode, which is part of Apple's (free) development tools, is not too
shabby. I also like JEdit (http://jedit.org/), which is cross-platform,
being written in Java. It's highly customizable. (Go to
http://community.jedit.org/?q=node/view/2124 to download a Ruby syntax
highlighting descriptor that's much more complete than the one that
ships with the current version of JEdit.)

cyberco

Use Eclipse. It's free, it has superior code editing and there's a
(simple) Ruby plugin. Works great for me.

smoon

Just use TextMate...it costs money but it rocks! Highly extensible
through custom commands too. Amazing tool. I use it for everything now.
Plus I like the project view too.

Adrian Howard

On 14 Feb 2005, at 00:26, James Edward Gray II wrote:
[snip]
I've used BBEdit for many years now. It's a very polished very
Mac-style editor, but the price is steep:

http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.shtml
[snip]

The new release of TextWrangler, Bare Bones free editor, has most of
the coding features that BBEdit has - worth a look. I "upgraded" from
BBEdit 7 to TextWrangler and haven't missed any BBEdit features so far
;-)
Recently, I am playing with TextMate as well. The price is much
friendlier and many of its automation features are very impressive.
It's young, which I would say is a blessing and a curse. One the plus
side, it's under heavy development and you can literally see the
changes weekly. On the downside, it's still a little rough around
some edges:

It is rather nice. I just played with the new beta yesterday and it's
much improved from the first release - although it still has some odd
corners.

Adrian

Trans

Thomas said:
It has to be said. Gvim :) If you already know vi, it's the
only way to fly.

I use vi/vim for quick/light editing. But I don't understand how others
use it as their main editor. And I don't say this lightly: I even
bought a book on using vi/vim. Yet I still often hear how "wonderous"
it is if one does.

So tell me this, how does one copy and paste without counting lines?
Using n+yy & p (where n is some number) for a few lines is okay, but
beyond that...

Thanks
T.

Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek

I use vi/vim for quick/light editing. But I don't understand how others
use it as their main editor. And I don't say this lightly: I even
bought a book on using vi/vim. Yet I still often hear how "wonderous"
it is if one does.

So tell me this, how does one copy and paste without counting lines?
Using n+yy & p (where n is some number) for a few lines is okay, but
beyond that...

There are other movement commands than hjkl, my favourite are %} but I
did not investigate much of the possibilities..

Also when I am lost I often do something like 10j 10j 4j d24k which is
still faster than grabbing the mouse.

Thanks

Michal Suchanek

Alexander Kellett

I use vi/vim for quick/light editing. But I don't understand how others
use it as their main editor. And I don't say this lightly: I even
bought a book on using vi/vim. Yet I still often hear how "wonderous"
it is if one does.

So tell me this, how does one copy and paste without counting lines?
Using n+yy & p (where n is some number) for a few lines is okay, but
beyond that...

there's no wonder u don't use vim if
you don't know this ;)

(v)irtual selections. j a few times. (y)ank it
go somewhere, (p)aste it.

tip. try editing using only \e/cw/dw/hjkl and
characters for a day. *NEVER* use the cursor
keys unless you're one handledly inspecting
source.

Alex

Alexander Kellett

Just use TextMate...it costs money but it rocks! Highly extensible
through custom commands too. Amazing tool. I use it for everything now.
Plus I like the project view too.

if it had some good vim like bindings and an
excellent plugin system i'd use it, as it stands
other than its cute text widget it gives me nothing
extra than vim and takes away a lot.

also, i find its a big shame about its default syntax
highlighting for ruby its very bland...

Alex

Gennady Bystritksy

Trans said:
I use vi/vim for quick/light editing. But I don't understand how others
use it as their main editor. And I don't say this lightly: I even
bought a book on using vi/vim. Yet I still often hear how "wonderous"
it is if one does.

So tell me this, how does one copy and paste without counting lines?
Using n+yy & p (where n is some number) for a few lines is okay, but
beyond that...

Thanks
T.

In pure vi, I usually set a mark on the first line I like to copy, with
mm (it remembers the position in register 'm'), go to the last line and
do y'm. Then you can paste it wherever you want with p.

In vim, there's a visual mode, where you can visually select text
(selected characters are displayed in reverse video) and then choose any
command to work on selected text, for example Vjjjy yanks 3 lines down
the current cursor position, displaying those lines in reverse video
along the way. Of course you can use more complex movement commands with
visual mode. You can also choose between character selection (v), line
selection (Shift-v) or column selection (Ctrl-v) to start visual mode.

Gennady.

P.S. I do use vi/vim as my main (and only) editor for everyday C++,
Ruby, etc. development for the last 10 years. And I am totally happy
with it ;-).