[OT] python notation in new NVIDIA architecture

Daniel Nogradi

Something funny:

The new programming model of NVIDIA GPU's is called CUDA and I've
noticed that they use the same __special__ notation for certain things
as does python. For instance their modified C language has identifiers
such as __device__, __global__, __shared__, etc. Is it a coincidence?
Probably it is. :)

James Stroud

Daniel said:
Something funny:

The new programming model of NVIDIA GPU's is called CUDA and I've
noticed that they use the same __special__ notation for certain things
as does python. For instance their modified C language has identifiers
such as __device__, __global__, __shared__, etc. Is it a coincidence?
Probably it is. :)

Cuda is usually taken as short for "barracuda", a fish. Fish have been
known to slither under the right circumstances. Perhaps this is the link?

James

Daniel Nogradi

Something funny:
Cuda is usually taken as short for "barracuda", a fish. Fish have been
known to slither under the right circumstances. Perhaps this is the link?

Wow! How is it that I didn't think about this before?! Thanks a million!

Bart Ogryczak

Something funny:

The new programming model of NVIDIA GPU's is called CUDA and I've
noticed that they use the same __special__ notation for certain things
as does python. For instance their modified C language has identifiers
such as __device__, __global__, __shared__, etc. Is it a coincidence?
Probably it is. :)

It's no coincidence. __* and __*__ have been used in C long before
Python. And Python (as almost any modern language) takes a lot of
syntax from C/C++.

Tim Roberts

Daniel Nogradi said:
Something funny:

The new programming model of NVIDIA GPU's is called CUDA and I've
noticed that they use the same __special__ notation for certain things
as does python. For instance their modified C language has identifiers
such as __device__, __global__, __shared__, etc. Is it a coincidence?
Probably it is. :)

Well, identifiers starting with an underline are reserved for
implementation use in ISO standard C++, so the chicken and egg question is
an interesting one..