[OT ?] (Pythonic) detection word protected files

Gilles Lenfant

Hi,

This is certainly off topic, but as my problem must have a pythonic answer.

I'm building an utility that makes a catalog of M$ word files in a giant
directory tree. The password protected files must be marked, and I
didn't find how to guess which files are password protected and which
ones are not.

I can't use the COM interface for this because the utility must run on a
Linux Samba server.

I didn't find anything satisfying in M$ related sites (like msdn) or
forums or google.

Any hint ?

Many thanks by advance.

Gilles Lenfant

Gerald Klix a écrit :
Perhaps you can use OpenOffice and it's python UNO Bindings?
I only know about their existence, but perhaps this will be a starting
point: http://udk.openoffice.org/

Thanks, I already considered this but didn't find the way to get the
encryption information (protected or not) in the UNO API.

Anyway UNO is somehow overkill to get something like a pair of bytes at
some position in the file (4 or 5 python lines with the standard packages).

Many thanks