[OT] Re: output from external commands

Discussion in 'Python' started by darren kirby, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. darren kirby

    darren kirby Guest

    quoth the Fredrik Lundh:
    > (using either on the output from glob.glob is just plain silly, of course)

    Silly? Sure. os.listdir() is more on point. Never said I was the smartest.
    However, I will defend my post by pointing out that at the time it was the
    only one that actually included code that did what the OP wanted.

    Recall I wrote:
    "If all you want is filenames this will work:"
    not:
    "This is how you should do it"

    And I invite you to prove me wrong ... it does work.

    As a novice, I do appreciate getting set strait when I code something dumb,
    but going off about the efficiency of "%s % foo" over "str(foo)" hardly helps
    the OP, and is not very pertinant to my glob faux pas either. An explanation
    of why glob is silly would perhaps teach me better than just stating it as
    fact.

    It is things like this that make me wary of posting to this list, either to
    help another, or with my own q's. All I usually want is help with a specific
    problem, not a critique involving how brain-dead my code is. I'm a beginner,
    of course my code is going to be brain-dead ;)

    I thought the idea was "make it work first, then optimize"? In any event, I
    will refrain from trying to help people here until I get over this silly
    stage I seem to be stuck in... it just doesn't seem worth it.

    I am not trying to sound like a whiner here, I just wish you experts would go
    easy on us novices...

    -d

    darren kirby, Oct 25, 2005

  2. darren kirby wrote:
    > quoth the Fredrik Lundh:
    >
    >>(using either on the output from glob.glob is just plain silly, of course)

    [snip]

    > It is things like this that make me wary of posting to this list, either to
    > help another, or with my own q's. All I usually want is help with a specific
    > problem, not a critique involving how brain-dead my code is. I'm a beginner,
    > of course my code is going to be brain-dead ;)

    I wouldn't fret too much about a sharp remark from Fredrik Lundh.
    They're pretty much all that way. ;) It looks like you already did the
    right thing - read past the insults, and gleaned the useful information
    that he included in between. It takes a little training to get used to
    him, but if you can look past the nasty bite, he's really a valuable
    resource around here.

    STeVe
    Steven Bethard, Oct 25, 2005

  3. darren kirby

    Tony Meyer Guest

    On 25/10/2005, at 3:36 PM, Steven Bethard wrote:

    > I wouldn't fret too much about a sharp remark from Fredrik Lundh.
    > They're pretty much all that way. ;) [...] It takes a little
    > training to get used to
    > him, but if you can look past the nasty bite, he's really a valuable
    > resource around here.

    +1 QOTW :)

    =Tony.Meyer
    Tony Meyer, Oct 25, 2005