    Original: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje.mp3
    Selection: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje_s1.mp3

    Thanks in advance, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Nico Schuyt

    Headless Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
    >Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
    >*increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file:-( )

    You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the original
    to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

    Headless, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Headless wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new
    >> file. Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but
    >> file size is *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller
    >> file:-( )

    > You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the
    > original to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

    Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity. Only thing I can change is
    the rate (8000Hz - 48000Hz) but that has an horrific effect :-(
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Nico Schuyt

    Els Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Headless wrote:
    >
    >>Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >>>In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new
    >>>file. Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but
    >>>file size is *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller
    >>>file:-( )

    >>You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the
    >>original to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

    > Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity. Only thing I can change is
    > the rate (8000Hz - 48000Hz) but that has an horrific effect :-(
    > Nico

    Hey Nico, I looked it up for you ;-)
    In addition to Audacity, you need to download a library at
    http://mitiok.free.fr/

    Once you've done that, go to Audicity's menu, click File,
    Preferences, File Formats, Find Library, (then locate the
    file you've just downloaded, and then you can change the
    bitrate (in that File Formats section). Succes!

    --
    Els

    Mente humana é como pára-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.

    Els, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Nico Schuyt

    Headless Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the
    >> original to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

    >Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity.

    Look harder.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

    Headless, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Re: Reduce size of mp3

    "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote in message
    > I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
    > Maybe someone here knows a solution.
    >
    > In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
    > Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
    > *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file:-( )
    > Anyone an explanation for this??
    > Files:
    > Original: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje.mp3
    > Selection: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje_s1.mp3

    You need a lower bitrate to get a smaller file size, but the quality will be
    affected, obviously. In other news, you don't intend putting this music on
    a website, do you?

    --
    Andrew Cameron
    "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

    Andrew Cameron, Sep 17, 2003
  7. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Els wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Headless wrote:

    >>> You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the
    >>> original to achieve a size reduction relative to the length
    >>> reduction.

    >> Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity. Only thing I can
    >> change is the rate (8000Hz - 48000Hz) but that has an horrific
    >> effect :-( Nico

    > Hey Nico, I looked it up for you ;-)
    > In addition to Audacity, you need to download a library at
    > http://mitiok.free.fr/

    Thanks a lot Els! I will try that.
    Regards, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 17, 2003
  8. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Re: Reduce size of mp3

    Andrew Cameron wrote:

    > In other news, you don't intend putting
    > this music on a website, do you?

    Ehh, I must admit, I do.
    It will end up in a splash page with Flash, music, frames (for better
    indexing in SE's), JS (for detecting Flash player). And, on top of that all,
    written in Front Page.
    Hope you will appreciate the result :)
    Cheers, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 17, 2003
  9. Re: Reduce size of mp3

    > Andrew Cameron wrote:
    >
    > > In other news, you don't intend putting
    > > this music on a website, do you?

    > Ehh, I must admit, I do.

    Do you plan on having the volume any higher than 0%?

    > It will end up in a splash page with Flash, music, frames (for better
    > indexing in SE's), JS (for detecting Flash player). And, on top of that

    all,
    > written in Front Page.

    *cardiac arrest*

    > Hope you will appreciate the result :)

    I'm sure it will be... lovely...

    Andrew Cameron, Sep 17, 2003
  10. Re: Reduce size of mp3

    "Nico Schuyt" <> schreef in bericht
    > I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
    > Maybe someone here knows a solution.
    >
    > In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
    > Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
    > *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file:-( )
    > Anyone an explanation for this??
    > Files:
    > Original: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje.mp3
    > Selection: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje_s1.mp3
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Nico

    Perhaps if you didn't do that allready,
    you could make it mono instead of stereo?
    Or perhaps a 8 bit mono file?
    That would make a smaller file.

    --
    Regards,
    Samuël van Laere

    Samuël van Laere, Sep 17, 2003
  11. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Re: Reduce size of mp3

    Samuël van Laere wrote:
    > "Nico Schuyt" schreef

    >> In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new
    >> file. Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but
    >> file size is *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller
    >> file:-( ) Anyone an explanation for this??

    > Perhaps if you didn't do that allready,
    > you could make it mono instead of stereo?
    > Or perhaps a 8 bit mono file?
    > That would make a smaller file.

    OK. I'll try that. Thanks!
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 17, 2003
  12. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Headless wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity.

    > Look harder.

    Ok, Ok : File > Preferences > File Format > Bit rate
    Result: 56kB :)
    Thanks.

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 17, 2003
  13. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Re: Reduce size of mp3

    Andrew Cameron wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote in message
    >> Andrew Cameron wrote:
    >>> In other news, you don't intend putting
    >>> this music on a website, do you?

    >> Ehh, I must admit, I do.

    > Do you plan on having the volume any higher than 0%?

    Absolutely. I'm paid per decibel.

    >> It will end up in a splash page with Flash, music, frames (for better
    >> indexing in SE's), JS (for detecting Flash player). And, on top of
    >> that all, written in Front Page.

    > *cardiac arrest*

    Sorry, forgot to mention the fixed fonts :)

    >> Hope you will appreciate the result :)

    > I'm sure it will be... lovely...

    Probably the best site I ever made.

    Cheers, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 17, 2003
  14. Nico Schuyt

    Phrederik Guest

    > I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
    > Maybe someone here knows a solution.

    Why don't you go ask at a pizza parlour? I'm sure asking LIVE bodies would
    get you an answer even faster. A gas station might also be a good place.

    > In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
    > Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
    > *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file:-( )
    > Anyone an explanation for this??

    <snip>

    Phrederik, Sep 17, 2003
  15. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Re: Reduce size of mp3

    Phrederik wrote
    > Nico Schuyt wrote

    > > I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
    > > Maybe someone here knows a solution.

    > Why don't you go ask at a pizza parlour? I'm sure asking LIVE bodies would
    > get you an answer even faster.

    Well, the aswer was given by Headless within 24 minutes (it took me some
    more time to understand it :). Not so bad IMO.

    > A gas station might also be a good place.

    Wow, one of your best advices lately.
    Thanks!!

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 17, 2003
  16. Nico Schuyt

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <3f680fa4$0$28897$>,
    says...
    > I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
    > Maybe someone here knows a solution.

    Download the cool edit pro demo. You can do everything you want with
    it.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Sep 17, 2003
  17. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > says...
    > > I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
    > > Maybe someone here knows a solution.

    > Download the cool edit pro demo. You can do everything you want with
    > it.

    Looks good. Thanks!

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 18, 2003
  18. Nico Schuyt

    HanTemucin

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I know a cute program with batch conversion mode, reduces up to 80 %.
    It has predefined conversion modes, which helps you to decide how much to reduce the size.

    Also converts wav files to reduced MP3 files.

    http://www.ekossoft.com/mp3minimizer.aspx

    HanTemucin, Jul 31, 2007