OT: Reduce size of mp3

Nico Schuyt

I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
Maybe someone here knows a solution.

In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
*increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file:-( )
Anyone an explanation for this??
Files:
Original: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje.mp3
Selection: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje_s1.mp3

Thanks in advance, Nico

Headless

Nico said:
In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
*increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file:-( )

You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the original
to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

Headless

Nico Schuyt

Headless said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:
You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the
original to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity. Only thing I can change is
the rate (8000Hz - 48000Hz) but that has an horrific effect :-(
Nico

Els

Nico said:
Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity. Only thing I can change is
the rate (8000Hz - 48000Hz) but that has an horrific effect :-(
Nico

Hey Nico, I looked it up for you ;-)
In addition to Audacity, you need to download a library at
http://mitiok.free.fr/

Once you've done that, go to Audicity's menu, click File,
Preferences, File Formats, Find Library, (then locate the
file you've just downloaded, and then you can change the
bitrate (in that File Formats section). Succes!

Andrew Cameron

Nico Schuyt said:
I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
Maybe someone here knows a solution.

In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
*increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file:-( )
Anyone an explanation for this??
Files:
Original: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje.mp3
Selection: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje_s1.mp3

You need a lower bitrate to get a smaller file size, but the quality will be
affected, obviously. In other news, you don't intend putting this music on
a website, do you?

Nico Schuyt

Andrew said:
In other news, you don't intend putting
this music on a website, do you?

Ehh, I must admit, I do.
It will end up in a splash page with Flash, music, frames (for better
indexing in SE's), JS (for detecting Flash player). And, on top of that all,
written in Front Page.
Hope you will appreciate the result :)
Cheers, Nico

Andrew Cameron

Nico Schuyt said:
Ehh, I must admit, I do.

Do you plan on having the volume any higher than 0%?
It will end up in a splash page with Flash, music, frames (for better
indexing in SE's), JS (for detecting Flash player). And, on top of that all,
written in Front Page.

*cardiac arrest*
Hope you will appreciate the result :)

I'm sure it will be... lovely...

Samuël van Laere

Nico Schuyt said:
I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
Maybe someone here knows a solution.

In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
*increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file:-( )
Anyone an explanation for this??
Files:
Original: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje.mp3
Selection: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje_s1.mp3

Thanks in advance, Nico

Perhaps if you didn't do that allready,
you could make it mono instead of stereo?
Or perhaps a 8 bit mono file?
That would make a smaller file.

Phrederik

Nico Schuyt said:
I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
Maybe someone here knows a solution.

Why don't you go ask at a pizza parlour? I'm sure asking LIVE bodies would
get you an answer even faster. A gas station might also be a good place.
In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
*increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file:-( )
Anyone an explanation for this??
<snip>

Nico Schuyt

Phrederik wrote
Nico Schuyt wrote

Why don't you go ask at a pizza parlour? I'm sure asking LIVE bodies would
get you an answer even faster.

Well, the aswer was given by Headless within 24 minutes (it took me some
more time to understand it :). Not so bad IMO.
A gas station might also be a good place.

Wow, one of your best advices lately.
Thanks!!

Whitecrest

I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
Maybe someone here knows a solution.

Download the cool edit pro demo. You can do everything you want with
it.