OT ring ring

Roedy Green

I phoned the telephone repair people to find out the number you call
to get a ring callback test. They did not know it! It is standard?
Does anyone know it. Years ago phoning yourself worked, but not here.

Eric Sosman

Roedy said:
I phoned the telephone repair people to find out the number you call
to get a ring callback test. They did not know it! It is standard?
Does anyone know it. Years ago phoning yourself worked, but not here.

"Ring, ring."

"Who's there?"

"Ethel."

"Ethel who?"

"Ethyl no-knocks."

~kurt

Roedy Green said:
I phoned the telephone repair people to find out the number you call
to get a ring callback test. They did not know it! It is standard?
Does anyone know it. Years ago phoning yourself worked, but not here.

I haven't used that in - 15 years or so. I'm not sure they even have it
now with everything being digital.

It used to be a high school prank with pay phones - type in the code, the
last 4 digits of the number, walk away, and then the phone would call
you back while you get to watch as people passing by debate if they should
answer or not.

- Kurt

Daniel Pitts

I phoned the telephone repair people to find out the number you call
to get a ring callback test. They did not know it! It is standard?
Does anyone know it. Years ago phoning yourself worked, but not here.

It used to be universal, but I think that they changed it and secured
it, because too many people "abused" it.

Mike Schilling

Roedy said:
I phoned the telephone repair people to find out the number you call
to get a ring callback test. They did not know it! It is standard?
Does anyone know it. Years ago phoning yourself worked, but not here.

It's probably not needed anymore, since it's so easy to call a number from a
cell phone. (You may not have one, but every phone company tech does.)