OT: RTF different Word 2000/XP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Kris Eiben, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Kris Eiben

    Kris Eiben Guest

    Sorry for the OT post. The only reason I thought of posting here is
    that I use ASP to create this RTF. If somebody knows of an NG where
    this would be on-topic, please let me know.

    Background: We're using RTF for reports, and use Office 2000 for testing
    since that's what most (all, until now) of our users have. One of our
    most-used reports has two sections, a one-page summary up front, then
    the details following. Both use tables for formatting, with a
    corresponding one-row table in the header as a label row in the detail
    portion. There's a section break between the summary and detail to
    allow the use of different headers in the 2 sections.

    Problem: I just heard from a user with Office XP that his report doesn't
    look right. So, I found the only PC in the building with Office XP
    installed for testing, and, sure enough, the summary table now spans 28
    pages, all varying inch-or-more-tall rows with fat black lines
    inbetween. The text is all formatted just like it used to be, font and
    background colors and all, and nicely centered in these enormous cells.
    The detail section of the report is fine in XP as well as 2000, and the
    summary table is correct in 2000. Our user reports that all Win2000 and
    WinXP machines in his office with Office 2000 were fine, so we're
    assuming that OS is not an issue.

    Plea for help: Anybody have any idea why this one table would render
    correctly in 2000, but break so completely in XP? I'd love some
    informed ideas to try, as we have to run back and forth between our PCs
    and the XP PC in order to test.

    Thanks for reading!
    Kris
    Kris Eiben, Aug 8, 2003