    than the cost of litigation, we all loose. Fortunally, the claim
    against IBM is so big, $3B that they may fight it instead of settling.

    -- Russ
    Russ Salsbury, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Russ Salsbury enlightened us with:
    > ComputerWorld says that SCO is going to charge Linux end users a
    > license fee for "the opportunity to run Linux legally."

    Utter crap. First they'd better proof their point instead of harassing
    inocent people.

    > I realize that this is OT, but SCO's action strikes at the heart of
    > Open Source.

    No they don't. If they can't point out what code is theirs, they
    are obviously having a hard time recognising it. If they can't even
    recognise it, how can they clame it?

    > If IBM, Red Hat, and the decide that the the cost of settling is less
    > than the cost of litigation, we all loose.

    No we don't. If they point out which code is theirs, we'll rip it out,
    replace it by better code, and they won't have a leg to stand on.

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Russ Salsbury wrote:
    > ComputerWorld says that SCO is going to charge Linux end users a
    > license fee for "the opportunity to run Linux legally."
    > <http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,83287,00.html?nas=PM-83287>
    > Lots of companies will pony up.
    >
    > I realize that this is OT,

    Then please keep it to the appropriate groups. I'm sick and tired of
    "news" about SCO's alleged claims.

    > but SCO's action strikes at the heart of
    > Open Source. Somebody with the right patents can try to tax or shut
    > down the rest of us, regardless of the validity of their claims. [...]

    That may be so in the US. In Germany, SCO is not allowed to spread their
    FUD any further for the time being:

    http://www.golem.de/0305/25730.html (German)

    I'm too lazy to find an English translation for you.

    Please let's keep this stuff off list. SCO is gaining way too much
    attention already. And this is all they want: increase their stock
    value/hope to be bought out.

    Explicit Reply-To set if you fell you need to discuss this further with
    me. Otherwise EOD from my side.

    -- Gerhard
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Russ Salsbury

    Paul Boddie Guest

    (Russ Salsbury) wrote in message news:<>...

    > I realize that this is OT, but SCO's action strikes at the heart of
    > Open Source. Somebody with the right patents can try to tax or shut
    > down the rest of us, regardless of the validity of their claims. If
    > IBM, Red Hat, and the decide that the the cost of settling is less
    > than the cost of litigation, we all loose. Fortunally, the claim
    > against IBM is so big, $3B that they may fight it instead of settling.

    (Insert footage of an office in IBM's legal department: the camera
    pans upward from a stack of papers representing SCO's claims;
    hysterical laughter can be heard as the camera pans across to one of
    the lawyers; "I love this job!" he exclaims.)

    Despite the wider implications of this case, plus the implications of
    other recent developments (for me, that would have to include the
    increased interest by various European Union factions in the
    introduction of software patents), this really isn't the right forum
    for constructive discussion about such issues. However, it must be
    said that far too many people are unaware of such goings-on, or are
    virtually apathetic about them ("as long as the free stuff keeps
    coming", "it's not my place to think about it" and "if it's made
    illegal, my employer will retrain me").

    But thanks for the reminder that we really are lucky to be able to use
    technologies and tools like Python, that the climate in which they
    have been developed has so far been favourable to such innovation, and
    that we should strive to maintain such a favourable environment
    through the appropriate forums and channels.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Russ Salsbury

    Ben Finney Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 02:56:11 GMT, JanC wrote:
    > This might be interesting "news" for SCO/Caldera:

    .... but not for comp.lang.python. Please, don't give this stuff more
    publicity.

    --
    \ "Remember men, we're fighting for this woman's honour; which is |
    `\ probably more than she ever did." -- Groucho Marx |
    Ben Finney, Jul 23, 2003
  6. Russ Salsbury

    Ville Vainio Guest

    Re: [OnTopic] SCO is Going After End Users

    (Russ Salsbury) wrote in message news:<>...

    > I realize that this is OT, but SCO's action strikes at the heart of
    > Open Source. Somebody with the right patents can try to tax or shut

    It might be slightly on topic in that the future versions of Python
    could theoretically (and developers willing), shall we say, not pay as
    much attention for unixware as the target platform... perhaps even
    drift so far as not being able to compile at all >;-).
    Ville Vainio, Jul 23, 2003
  7. Re: [OnTopic] SCO is Going After End Users

    Ville Vainio wrote:
    > It might be slightly on topic in that the future versions of Python
    > could theoretically (and developers willing), shall we say, not pay as
    > much attention for unixware as the target platform... perhaps even
    > drift so far as not being able to compile at all >;-).

    SCO doesn't want you to actually use unixware. You should only pay them as
    if you do.

    Daniel
    Daniel Dittmar, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Russ Salsbury

    Bryan Guest

    Re: [OnTopic] SCO is Going After End Users

    what's to prevent this from happening to python? all those c modules?
    couldn't they have been copied from microsoft, sco, etc? how is python
    protected from others claiming the modules are copied works?

    bryan

    Bryan, Jul 23, 2003