    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Disclaimer:

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004

  2. > I've noticed that Server 2003 (IIS6) doesn't seem to support
    database's.....
    > anyone know anything about this?

    Sounds absurd. Could you be more specific? What does "doesn't seem to
    support" mean?

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    I got a sub-domain with my host and tried to use ASP/VBScript with an Access
    DB and the site just wouldn't actually "do anything" until I removed the
    code that loaded/accessed the DB..... once the DB side of it was removed,
    the site loaded without any problems.

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Disclaimer:

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    I should probably have added, the DB and VBScript etc etc, code, works
    absolutely fine on the server running Windows 2000

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Disclaimer:

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Show your code, explain the directory structure, etc.

    Windows Server 2003 certainly does support databases. Why on earth do you
    think they would stop? This is a code issue or a configuration issue.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Steven Burn

    Evertjan. Guest

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP wrote on 04 feb 2004 in
    > Show your code, explain the directory structure, etc.
    >
    > Windows Server 2003 certainly does support databases. Why on earth do
    > you think they would stop? This is a code issue or a configuration
    > issue.

    You are right, Aaron.

    My guess is that the db resides in a read only directory.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 4, 2004
  7. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    The following is the code I am using to open the DB;

    Code:
    <%
    Response.AddHeader "Cache-Control", "private"
    Response.ExpiresAbsolute=DateAdd("yyyy", -10, Date)
    Response.AddHeader "pragma" , "no-cache"
    Response.Buffer = True
    %>

    <!--Open Database-->
    <%
    set conn = server.createobject("adodb.connection")
    Dim FSO
    Dim fldr, path
    path = FSO.GetFolder(Server.MapPath("./")) ' ./ is the current folder

    DsnAccess = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source="& path &
    "dmain.mdb" 'database name
    conn.open DsnAccess
    set rs = server.createobject ("adodb.recordset")

    Set FSO = Nothing
    Set fldr = Nothing
    %>

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    I've already checked that. All folders have full read/write access

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Disclaimer:

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004
  9. > path = FSO.GetFolder(Server.MapPath("./")) ' ./ is the current folder

    What is FSO? If this is supposed to be an object, you forgot to create it.
    I see a half dozen other potential problems in the code, but let's start
    there.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Steven Burn

    Ray at Guest

    What about the code that executes your query and returns the results? This
    code below won't really show you anything. Is there an rs.Open or a Set rs
    = line anywhere and then a corresponding response.write rs(0) line?

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    all users (external and internal)

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Disclaimer:

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004
  12. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    No.. FSO is being created, I just forgot to type it in when I posted the
    code :eek:\

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004
  13. Steven Burn

    Evertjan. Guest

    Curt_C [MVP] wrote on 04 feb 2004 in
    > for what user?

    Good questin, Curt.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 4, 2004
  14. I think this is a cut & paste of PART of the code he is running. As is, the
    code wouldn't even get to a point where it could spin and not return,
    because FSO is required.

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01a8'
    Object required: ''
    /MrBurn.asp, line 13

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    message news:...

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Feb 4, 2004
  15. Is IUSR_machineName explicitly listed?

    Can you show us the real, full version of the code? As I noted elsewhere,
    the parser barfs on the code you posted before it even attempts to run any
    ASP code.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Feb 4, 2004
  16. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    No specific error messages, it was just acting as if the site wasn't
    actually there (if that makes sense?). I don't have direct access to IIS
    myself, so can't provide any server error messages (assuming they are
    actually logged) or anything.

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004
  17. Steven, cut & paste the code, rather than carelessly transcribe. Then we
    don't waste half an hour chasing red herrings!!!!

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Feb 4, 2004
  18. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    I've just called my host to ask about the IUSR_machinename question.......
    as for the full DB open code, it's below.

    <%
    Response.AddHeader "Cache-Control", "private"
    Response.ExpiresAbsolute=DateAdd("yyyy", -10, Date)
    Response.AddHeader "pragma" , "no-cahce"
    Response.Buffer = True
    %>

    <!--DatabaseOpen Is Here-->
    <%
    if StrForumStatus = 2 then
    response.redirect ("Default.asp")
    end if
    set conn = server.createobject("adodb.connection")
    Dim FSO
    Dim fldr
    Dim path

    Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set fldr = FSO.GetFolder(Server.MapPath("./"))

    If fldr.name = "admin" then 'if accessing the admin area
    Set fldr = FSO.GetFolder(Server.MapPath("../"))
    path = Server.MapPath("\users\" & fldr.name & "\dmain.mdb")
    Else
    path = Server.MapPath("\users\" & fldr.name & "\dmain.mdb")
    End if

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004
  19. First off, it might be the FSO (see http://www.aspfaq.com/2180).

    Some other comments on your code:

    > <%

    don't need server prefix here

    > set conn = server.createobject("adodb.connection")

    are you using option explicit? if so, can you dim these all on one line?

    > Dim FSO
    > Dim fldr, path

    why do you need FSO for this? Also note that GetFolder returns an object,
    not a string, so stuffing path into a connection string later is not a grand
    idea.

    > path = FSO.GetFolder(Server.MapPath("./")) ' ./ is the current folder

    bad variable name. This is not a DSN, it is a connection string!

    > DsnAccess = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source="& path &
    > "dmain.mdb" 'database name
    > conn.open DsnAccess

    Why do you need a recordset object? Please see http://www.aspfaq.com/2191
    .... also your code doesn't even do anything with whatever data you intended
    to pull.

    > set rs = server.createobject ("adodb.recordset")

    > Set FSO = Nothing

    Please make sure you close and set to nothing all objects you actually
    create. I have no idea what fldr is or where you created it, or if it even
    needs to be destroyed.

    > Set fldr = Nothing
    > %>

    Here is my suggestion:

    <%
    ' cache-busting code from http://aspfaq.com/2022

    pStr = "private, no-cache, must-revalidate"
    Response.ExpiresAbsolute = #2000-01-01#
    Response.AddHeader "pragma", "no-cache"
    Response.AddHeader "cache-control", pStr

    set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

    db = Server.MapPath("dmain.mdb")

    connstr = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & db
    conn.open connstr

    ' assume you do something with conn here?

    conn.close
    set conn = nothing
    %>

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Feb 4, 2004
  20. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    Re: [OT] Server 2003 + Access [SOLVED]

    Just had a reply from my host........ IUSR wasn't apparently "explicitly"
    listed with full read/write access..... now is and all is working perfectly
    (just wishing I'd checked earlier).

    Apologies for wasting everyone's time......

    Steven Burn, Feb 4, 2004