    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    http://www.nrkn.com/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Nik Coughin, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Nik Coughin wrote:
    > I have been trying to (come up with/find) a friendly message to display when
    > a user's session expires, one which explains to them clearly and consisely
    > what has happened.

    First of all, *don't* have a whole page just for a session expiring,
    just a sentence or two at the top of the page. A whole page which blocks
    the page the user is trying to view is annoying, and often pointless
    when nothing of importance was stored in the session to begin with.
    Leif K-Brooks, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Nik Coughin wrote:
    >> I have been trying to (come up with/find) a friendly message to
    >> display when a user's session expires, one which explains to them
    >> clearly and consisely what has happened.

    > First of all, *don't* have a whole page just for a session expiring,
    > just a sentence or two at the top of the page. A whole page which
    > blocks the page the user is trying to view is annoying, and often
    > pointless when nothing of importance was stored in the session to
    > begin with.

    I'm using the session management built into Intraweb for Delphi. The only
    pages that will trigger a SessionTimeout event are pages that the user has
    to be logged in to view anyway, ie User Information, Shopping Cart etc. I'm
    not storing anything in the session which isn't necessary. I don't have a
    lot of choice over whether or not I have a whole page for session expiry,
    besides which the expiry page *has* to block the page that the user is
    trying to view, because if they can view a page that normally requires them
    to be logged in regardless of their having had their session timed out,
    there isn't much point in having session management at all.
    Nik Coughin, Jun 21, 2004
  4. While the city slept, Nik Coughin <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> feverishly
    typed:

    > I have been trying to (come up with/find) a friendly message to
    > display when a user's session expires, one which explains to them
    > clearly and consisely what has happened. *I* know what a session is
    > and why they expire, but I am having trouble explaining it in a way
    > that *any* possible net user will understand. Does anyone know of a
    > good resource for things of this kind? I have already tried Google,
    > the majority of session expired messages floating around on the 'net
    > are uninspired to say the least.

    Something straightforward and to the point, such as "For security reasons
    users are automatically logged out after a certain period of inactivity. You
    can log in again using the form below to return to the page you requested.",
    or "Session timed out, you idle git!" ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Nik Coughin

    Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:44:28 +1200, "Nik Coughin"
    <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> took a very strange rock and inscribed
    these words:

    >Does anyone know of a good resource for things of this kind? I
    >have already tried Google, the majority of session expired messages floating
    >around on the 'net are uninspired to say the least.

    I'm a writer and probably not the only one here. Give us one (or two)
    that you don't like and why and maybe we can help you fix it/them.

    --
    Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
    / http://tlshell.cnc.net/