    you can find it) on Vista seems to be a common problem.

    Any ideas?
    Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen, Nov 10, 2007

  2. "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Why it will not install (when you can find it) on Vista

    Did you forget to run the installation as administrator...?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Nov 10, 2007

  3. On Vista, download the file instead of install and run the install as
    administrator. Remember that Vista "protects" you from the bad guys. It also
    "protects" you from

    a) yourself
    b) good guys
    c) programs you desire to run

    Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I love about Vista, but it is awfully
    intrusive at times.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Nov 10, 2007
  4. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    message news:...
    > On Vista, download the file instead of install and run the install as
    > administrator. Remember that Vista "protects" you from the bad guys. It
    > also "protects" you from
    >
    > a) yourself
    > b) good guys
    > c) programs you desire to run
    >
    > Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I love about Vista, but it is awfully
    > intrusive at times.
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Beamer
    > MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    > | Think outside the box! |
    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >>I have attempted several times to install this. I put this on this forum
    >>since if I go to MS site and use search it cannot find Silverlight but I
    >>have noticed several people on this forum mention using Silverlight. If I
    >>go to http://silverlight.net/ and click the download link that does not
    >>work.
    >>
    >> I can only say it is a pathetic introduction. Why it will not install
    >> (when you can find it) on Vista seems to be a common problem.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Lloyd Sheen

    I would if I could. All the link on MS sites seem to know nothing about
    Silverlight. The site I mentioned goes to the generic download page and a
    search in MS says nothing found for Silverlight. Maybe its been killed (ha
    ha).

    If I could find a link to the install file I would try as admin but no luck
    on that.

    thanks
    Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen, Nov 10, 2007
  5. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    message news:...
    > On Vista, download the file instead of install and run the install as
    > administrator. Remember that Vista "protects" you from the bad guys. It
    > also "protects" you from
    >
    > a) yourself
    > b) good guys
    > c) programs you desire to run
    >
    > Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I love about Vista, but it is awfully
    > intrusive at times.
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Beamer
    > MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    > | Think outside the box! |
    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >>I have attempted several times to install this. I put this on this forum
    >>since if I go to MS site and use search it cannot find Silverlight but I
    >>have noticed several people on this forum mention using Silverlight. If I
    >>go to http://silverlight.net/ and click the download link that does not
    >>work.
    >>
    >> I can only say it is a pathetic introduction. Why it will not install
    >> (when you can find it) on Vista seems to be a common problem.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Lloyd Sheen

    Finally found a link to the install. Ran it as admin but still not luck.
    Seems to be a permission problem in registry. What a great technology NOT).

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Nov 10, 2007
  6. You can download the browser plug in here (1.0):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...7b-39d3-4137-84b7-26dc548f0ac7&DisplayLang=en

    The SDK is here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...db-4380-4b0f-bb95-0baec714ee17&DisplayLang=en

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Nov 10, 2007
  7. "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message

    > Finally found a link to the install. Ran it as admin but still not luck.
    > Seems to be a permission problem in registry. What a great technology
    > NOT).

    Silverlight or Vista? ;-)

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Nov 10, 2007
  8. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    message news:...

    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Finally found a link to the install. Ran it as admin but still not luck.
    >> Seems to be a permission problem in registry. What a great technology
    >> NOT).

    > Silverlight or Vista? ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Beamer
    > MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    > | Think outside the box! |

    At this point neither. After much googling I found some articles pointing
    out registry key permissions. I found those keys, changed the permissions
    and running the Process Monitor I can see that one of the keys now get
    permission correct. Others don't and the thing I love about this is I can
    see from PM that the keys that are failing are using my userid and looking
    in regedit I am the owner and have full access.

    I think Bill had best come back as head scientist.

    As for Vista, it makes MS Bob look like a great idea. I was going to look
    at doing some poking around with Silverlight but if I can't view what I
    create I guess there is no point. The real puzzler is going to the MS site
    and searching for Silverlight and getting no links. That could say it all.

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Nov 11, 2007
  9. Mark Rae [MVP], Nov 11, 2007
  10. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> The real puzzler is going to the MS site and searching for Silverlight
    >> and getting no links. That could say it all.

    > What on earth are you talking about???
    >
    > 1) http://www.microsoft.com
    >
    > 2) Enter Silverlight in the box
    >
    > 3) Hit Enter
    >
    > That gives the following:
    > http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&form=MSHOME&setlang=en-US&q=Silverlight
    >
    > How many more links do you actually need...?
    >

    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://www.markrae.net

    http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/downloads.aspx

    Try it. It goes to:

    We're sorry, but we were unable to service your request. You may wish to
    choose from the links below for information about Microsoft products and
    services.

    And anyway since I cannot get it to install and work it really does not
    matter. I found on my workstation the install exe and tried with and
    without UAC, as admin, not as admin. Changing ownership on reg keys etc.

    No luck.
    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Nov 11, 2007
  11. "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/downloads.aspx
    >
    > Try it. It goes to:
    >
    > We're sorry, but we were unable to service your request. You may wish to
    > choose from the links below for information about Microsoft products and
    > services.

    No it doesn't - at least, not for me... I see the four downloads etc...

    > And anyway since I cannot get it to install and work it really does not
    > matter. I found on my workstation the install exe and tried with and
    > without UAC, as admin, not as admin. Changing ownership on reg keys etc.

    Works perfectly for me on 64-bit Vista Business Edition...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Nov 11, 2007
  12. "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message

    >> The real puzzler is going to the MS site and searching for Silverlight and
    >> getting no links. That could say it all.

    >What on earth are you talking about???

    >1) http://www.microsoft.com

    >2) Enter Silverlight in the box

    >3) Hit Enter

    >That gives the following:
    >http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&form=MSHOME&setlang=en-US&q=Silverlight

    >How many more links do you actually need...?

    At least one more as that link does nothing for me in IE6 or Firefox

    >--
    >Mark Rae
    >ASP.NET MVP

    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 2
    ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

    brian@coldmailcom, Nov 11, 2007
  13. <brian@coldmailcom> wrote in message

    > At least one more as that link does nothing for me in IE6 or Firefox

    Working fine for me in IE7...

    Also, the link which does not work for Lloyd
    (http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/downloads.aspx) also works fine for
    me - I can download and install all four binaries, including the Mac ones...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Nov 11, 2007
  14. Lloyd Sheen

    Guest

    >> At least one more as that link does nothing for me in IE6 or Firefox

    >Working fine for me in IE7...

    >Also, the link which does not work for Lloyd
    >(http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/downloads.aspx) also works fine for
    >me - I can download and install all four binaries, including the Mac ones...

    Thanks Mark...That link I can get to work.

    My comment was going to Microsoft.com and putting Silverlight in the search prompt does not. I tried it on 6 PC's now which included XP, 2000 Server and 2003 Server using IE6
    and Firefox with no luck. The point is it's not working for others. I've tried it at home and at work with no success.

    If you have to IE7 and or Vista 64 bit to get this to work, that's a problem. I think what Lloyd was trying to say is that Microsoft needs to do a better job. Great if it works
    for you, but if others are having a problem, then THERE IS A PROBLEM. If all you can do is say it works for me... well that' not helping. I'm mot flaming you, just making an
    observation.

    Thanks for yur responses:)

    brian

    >--
    >Mark Rae
    >ASP.NET MVP
    >http://www.markrae.net

    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 2
    ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

    , Nov 11, 2007
  15. Hi,

    wrote:

    > Thanks Mark...That link I can get to work.
    >
    > My comment was going to Microsoft.com and putting Silverlight in the search prompt does not. I tried it on 6 PC's now which included XP, 2000 Server and 2003 Server using IE6
    > and Firefox with no luck. The point is it's not working for others. I've tried it at home and at work with no success.

    > If you have to IE7 and or Vista 64 bit to get this to work, that's a problem. I think what Lloyd was trying to say is that Microsoft needs to do a better job. Great if it works
    > for you, but if others are having a problem, then THERE IS A PROBLEM. If all you can do is say it works for me... well that' not helping. I'm mot flaming you, just making an
    > observation.

    I am not sure what *your* problem is, but it's certainly not a Microsoft
    problem (and most definitely not a Silverlight problem). Going to
    Microsoft.com and putting Silverlight in the search box (where do you
    see a prompt anyway?) returns a bunch of perfectly valid Silverlight
    links, with the first one being the page that Mark points to.

    Number 2 is the "Why Silverlight" and number 3 is a MSDN page by the
    excellent Laurence Moroney about getting started with Silverlight. There
    are a lot of others.

    I am having that on Windows XP SP1 and Firefox, by the way.

    Maybe you should check your ISP, they may have decided to block Microsoft.

    > Thanks for yur responses:)
    >
    > brian

    Laurent
    --