[OT-Slightly] Sun Micro engineers bashing Java, and mentioning Python even Eiffel

Adonis

I do not know if this was ever posted on here but check this Sun Micro
internal memo out:

http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321

Here is the paragraph where it is mentioned:

A study performed by an outside team appears to indicate a rough parity in
performance between Java and a common implementation of another OO language
called Python (see IEEE Computing, October 2000, "An Empirical Comparison of
Seven Programming Languages" by Lutz Prechelt of the University of
Karlsruhe). Both platforms are Object Oriented, support web applications,
serialization, internet connections and native interfaces. The key
difference is that Python is a scripting language. This means there is no
compilation to byte code so the Python runtime environment has to do two
things in addition to what the Java runtime environment does. It has to
perform syntax checks and it must parse the ascii text provided by the
programmer. Both of those tasks are performed at compile time by Java and so
that capability does not have to be in the JRE.
Given this data, it appears that the JRE can actually be simpler than the
Python RE since Java does at least some of this work at compile time. The
example above of "Hello World" is a good method for getting an idea of the
minimum support code required at runtime. This support code includes garbage
collector, byte code interpreter, exception processor and the like. Hello
World written in Java2 requires 9M for this most basic support
infrastructure. By comparison, this is slightly larger than automountd on
Solaris8. The Python runtime required to execute Hello World is roughly
1.6M.

Adonis

Andrew Dalke

Adonis said:
I do not know if this was ever posted on here but check this Sun Micro
internal memo out:

Yes. There was a thread in this group on 2003-12-15 titled
"sun memo reveals java's bloat, puts it on a par with python"

One of the followups said:
> This was acknowledged by Sun as a real memo that is two years old and
> that the complaints have been dealt with:

Andrew
(e-mail address removed)