    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!
    Steven Burn, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Steven,

    Is this database read-only? Or, do you update that as well? Plus, why do you
    want to move away from Access, if none of the other options are available?
    Looks like Access might be your best option.

    On the other hand, if you have a read-only database, and want to move away
    from Access, you could look into XML files. However, this might be tedious
    in both creating and maintaining.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netWire

    "Steven Burn" <> wrote in message
    > Okay.... long story short, I'm currently using an Access DB for the site's
    > I've developed that require one. What I was looking to do was convert them
    > to SQL database's, unfortunately this is not an option as my host doesn't
    > provide them (atleast, not for free anyway) so I'm looking for

    alternatives

    Manohar Kamath [MVP], Jun 3, 2004

  3. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    I actually love using Access. My reason for enquiring is because of the
    comments made at;

    http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=4543#4543

    I'm pretty sure he's talking rubbish as I've never had a problem yet, but to
    be honest, would rather not take the chance, aswell as the storage
    limitations that Access has.

    Oh and, nope...... they're not read only ;o)

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jun 3, 2004
  4. "Steven Burn" <> wrote in message
    > I actually love using Access. My reason for enquiring is because of the
    > comments made at;
    >
    > http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=4543#4543
    >
    > I'm pretty sure he's talking rubbish as I've never had a problem yet, but

    > be honest, would rather not take the chance, aswell as the storage
    > limitations that Access has.
    >
    > Oh and, nope...... they're not read only ;o)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Steven Burn
    > Ur I.T. Mate Group
    > www.it-mate.co.uk
    >
    > Keeping it FREE!
    >

    > "Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > > Steven,
    > >
    > > Is this database read-only? Or, do you update that as well? Plus, why do

    > you
    > > want to move away from Access, if none of the other options are

    available?
    > > Looks like Access might be your best option.
    > >
    > > On the other hand, if you have a read-only database, and want to move

    away
    > > from Access, you could look into XML files. However, this might be

    tedious
    > > in both creating and maintaining.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Manohar Kamath
    > > Editor, .netWire
    > > www.dotnetwire.com
    > >

    > > "Steven Burn" <> wrote in message
    > > > Okay.... long story short, I'm currently using an Access DB for the

    > site's
    > > > I've developed that require one. What I was looking to do was convert

    > them
    > > > to SQL database's, unfortunately this is not an option as my host

    > doesn't
    > > > provide them (atleast, not for free anyway) so I'm looking for

    > > alternatives
    > > > as Oracle, SQL, MySQL etc etc, are not available.
    > > >
    > > > Server's are all running Windows Server 2003
    > > >
    > > > Suggestions please anyone.....?

    Access should absolutely NOT be used for an enterprise solution. Have a
    look at

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2195

    I'm surprised that your host doesn't provide at least MySQL, which is a free
    database. There really isn't a substitute for SQL databases if you're
    looking for that kind of functionality.

    - Wm

    --
    William Morris
    Product Development, Seritas LLC
    William Morris, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    Nice article ;o)

    As for MySQL, they provide it for the Linux servers, but not the Windows
    servers unfortunately :eek:(

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    "William Morris" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Steven Burn, Jun 3, 2004
  6. > I'm surprised that your host doesn't provide at least MySQL, which is a
    free
    > database.

    So is MSDE.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)
    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 3, 2004
  7. > http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=4543#4543

    > I'm pretty sure he's talking rubbish as I've never had a problem yet,

    YET is a key word. Microsoft themselves admit that Access has a fairly low
    tolerance level on concurrency, and that it shouldn't be expected to survive
    on a web site with moderate traffic.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 3, 2004
  8. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    Aaron,
    Don't have that either unfortunately :eek:(

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jun 3, 2004
  9. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    hehe, so I noticed (after reading the article referenced by Mr Morris)

    Unfortunately, it seems I'm screwed as far as anything else is concerned as
    I simply can't afford to have support for them added.

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jun 3, 2004
  10. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    Rofl....... if only :eek:\ (not an option atm as I can't afford it)

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jun 3, 2004
  11. ? How much are you paying now? There are tons of other hosts out there
    that will allow MSDE and/or MySQL on a Windows machine.

    Why would they support MySQL on Linux but not on Windows?

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 3, 2004
  12. Steven Burn

    Steven Burn Guest

    I'm currently paying £90 per year (covers the costs of all of my site's
    (approx 50GB) w/unlimited bandwidth)

    As the why's....... I've no idea unfortunately :eek:(, just been told MySQL is
    included as standard with Linux, and only available for Windows at the extra
    cost of £70 per year.

    The host I'm using is Fasthosts but, going through Inspiratech 2000 Ltd
    (Fasthosts reseller) as it doesn't cost as much.

    Fasthosts - www.fasthosts.co.uk
    Inspiratech 2000 Ltd - www.inspiratech.uk.com

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jun 3, 2004
  13. Steven Burn

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:25:38 +0100, "Steven Burn" <> wrote:

    [Response to suggestion to change hosts...]

    >Rofl....... if only :eek:\ (not an option atm as I can't afford it)

    So, you have a host that doesn't have any database alternatives to
    Access, you can't use Access, and you can't change to a host with
    alternatives.

    Have you considered a few dozen Valium and a bottle of gin to end your
    misery...?

    Jeff

    PS: Please don't be foolish enough to follow my advice here... :)
    Jeff Cochran, Jun 4, 2004
  14. "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:25:38 +0100, "Steven Burn" <> wrote:
    >
    > [Response to suggestion to change hosts...]
    >
    > >Rofl....... if only :eek:\ (not an option atm as I can't afford it)

    > So, you have a host that doesn't have any database alternatives to
    > Access, you can't use Access, and you can't change to a host with
    > alternatives.
    >
    > Have you considered a few dozen Valium and a bottle of gin to end your
    > misery...?
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > PS: Please don't be foolish enough to follow my advice here... :)

    Yeah, no kidding! Gin is nasty stuff. Bailey's will go down smoother, and
    doesn't taste of overripe shrubbery. :p

    --
    William Morris
    Product Development, Seritas LLC