    even a clue. Are there any sites that offer graphics and photo stocks?
    Under a Creative Commons Licence even?

    Roy

    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Roy Schestowitz

    Nik Coughin Guest

    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    Nik Coughin, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Nik Coughin wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> I am sorry about this off-topic question, but I know many of you
    >> Webmasters have your sources for photos to be used in site/s.
    >>
    >> The popular stock.xchng, which I am sure some of you use, has been
    >> down for almost a week and a long time of Web searching did not raise
    >> an answer or even a clue. Are there any sites that offer graphics and
    >> photo stocks? Under a Creative Commons Licence even?
    >>
    >> Roy

    > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    That's excellent! Thanks very much. I still hope that stock.xchng will go
    back on-line. So many people depend of that resource.

    The Wiki looks fantastic and the search facility is quite rich because it
    sorts results by categories.

    Roy

    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    > That's excellent! Thanks very much. I still hope that stock.xchng will go
    > back on-line. So many people depend of that resource.
    > The Wiki looks fantastic and the search facility is quite rich because it
    > sorts results by categories.

    Their site says they will be up and running this weekend. (fingers crossed)

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Apr 2, 2005
  5. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    >> That's excellent! Thanks very much. I still hope that stock.xchng will go
    >> back on-line. So many people depend of that resource.
    >> The Wiki looks fantastic and the search facility is quite rich because it
    >> sorts results by categories.

    > Their site says they will be up and running this weekend. (fingers
    > crossed)

    You can read Hungarian?!?!

    I know what 404 means...

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 2, 2005
  6. Roy Schestowitz

    Fat Sam Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > I am sorry about this off-topic question, but I know many of you Webmasters
    > have your sources for photos to be used in site/s.
    >
    > The popular stock.xchng, which I am sure some of you use, has been down for
    > almost a week and a long time of Web searching did not raise an answer or
    > even a clue. Are there any sites that offer graphics and photo stocks?
    > Under a Creative Commons Licence even?
    >
    > Roy

    I have an extensive library of royalty-free photo collection
    CDRoms....You know the sort....You find them on the bargain software
    carousel in your local PCWorld, or budget bookstore, or places like
    that....They normally have labels that read "10,000 photographic
    images", and cost about £10 each....
    I have dozens of these, and I'm still collecting them....They're cheap
    enough to just pick up as and when you find them, and the resolution is
    plenty good enough for web work....
    I find them to be a highly valuable resource....

    --
    www.fixaphoto.co.uk
    for photographic restorations

    Fat Sam, Apr 2, 2005
  7. Fat Sam wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> I am sorry about this off-topic question, but I know many of you
    >> Webmasters have your sources for photos to be used in site/s.
    >>
    >> The popular stock.xchng, which I am sure some of you use, has been down
    >> for almost a week and a long time of Web searching did not raise an
    >> answer or even a clue. Are there any sites that offer graphics and photo
    >> stocks? Under a Creative Commons Licence even?
    >>
    >> Roy

    > I have an extensive library of royalty-free photo collection
    > CDRoms....You know the sort....You find them on the bargain software
    > carousel in your local PCWorld, or budget bookstore, or places like
    > that....They normally have labels that read "10,000 photographic
    > images", and cost about £10 each....
    > I have dozens of these, and I'm still collecting them....They're cheap
    > enough to just pick up as and when you find them, and the resolution is
    > plenty good enough for web work....
    > I find them to be a highly valuable resource....

    A friend of mine buys those and occasionally sends me pictures that he wants
    added to his site. These are quite valuable.

    However (just to mention a con), these are slow to search, insert into the
    drive (if not put on the hard drive, in which case they take up volume) and
    are not always labelled for a quick and cunning search. With stock.xchng I
    follow a link from my portal, type in a keywork and *bang*, it's there.

    I really, really, /really/ hope that Travis is right. I can see myself
    paying stock.xchng for the service, but I see they stick to AdSense.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com