(OT) Source for Shareable Graphics

Roy Schestowitz

I am sorry about this off-topic question, but I know many of you Webmasters
have your sources for photos to be used in site/s.

The popular stock.xchng, which I am sure some of you use, has been down for
almost a week and a long time of Web searching did not raise an answer or
even a clue. Are there any sites that offer graphics and photo stocks?
Under a Creative Commons Licence even?

Roy

Nik Coughin

Roy said:
I am sorry about this off-topic question, but I know many of you
Webmasters have your sources for photos to be used in site/s.

The popular stock.xchng, which I am sure some of you use, has been
down for almost a week and a long time of Web searching did not raise
an answer or even a clue. Are there any sites that offer graphics and
photo stocks? Under a Creative Commons Licence even?

Roy

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Travis Newbury

Roy said:
That's excellent! Thanks very much. I still hope that stock.xchng will go
back on-line. So many people depend of that resource.
The Wiki looks fantastic and the search facility is quite rich because it
sorts results by categories.

Their site says they will be up and running this weekend. (fingers crossed)

Fat Sam

Roy said:
I am sorry about this off-topic question, but I know many of you Webmasters
have your sources for photos to be used in site/s.

The popular stock.xchng, which I am sure some of you use, has been down for
almost a week and a long time of Web searching did not raise an answer or
even a clue. Are there any sites that offer graphics and photo stocks?
Under a Creative Commons Licence even?

Roy

I have an extensive library of royalty-free photo collection
CDRoms....You know the sort....You find them on the bargain software
carousel in your local PCWorld, or budget bookstore, or places like
that....They normally have labels that read "10,000 photographic
images", and cost about £10 each....
I have dozens of these, and I'm still collecting them....They're cheap
enough to just pick up as and when you find them, and the resolution is
plenty good enough for web work....
I find them to be a highly valuable resource....

Roy Schestowitz

Fat said:
I have an extensive library of royalty-free photo collection
CDRoms....You know the sort....You find them on the bargain software
carousel in your local PCWorld, or budget bookstore, or places like
that....They normally have labels that read "10,000 photographic
images", and cost about £10 each....
I have dozens of these, and I'm still collecting them....They're cheap
enough to just pick up as and when you find them, and the resolution is
plenty good enough for web work....
I find them to be a highly valuable resource....

A friend of mine buys those and occasionally sends me pictures that he wants
added to his site. These are quite valuable.

However (just to mention a con), these are slow to search, insert into the
drive (if not put on the hard drive, in which case they take up volume) and
are not always labelled for a quick and cunning search. With stock.xchng I
follow a link from my portal, type in a keywork and *bang*, it's there.

I really, really, /really/ hope that Travis is right. I can see myself
paying stock.xchng for the service, but I see they stick to AdSense.

Roy