OT: Speaking in Tongues

Leo Wong

For Pentecost, I've written a Java applet that displays the Jesus Prayer,

Lord Jesus Christ, son of God,
have mercy on me, a sinner.

in various languages:

http://www.albany.net/~hello/jp2.htm

So far I have:

English, French, German, Latin, Italian, Spanish, Cherokee,
Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, Serbian, Vietnamese, Slovak, Old Church
Slavonic, Russian, Hebrew, Hawaiian, Greek, Polish, Czech, Maori,
Swahili, Albanian, Portuguese, Plautdietsch, Romanian, Haitian,
Japanese, Tagalog, Danish, Icelandic, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Norse,
Irish, Hindi, Thai, Malay

I would appreciate being e-mailed versions in languages I don't have, as
well as corrections to any mistakes in the languages I do have. Since
Java has Unicode, I would like the prayer (in two lines, as above) in
native characters as well as in Latin transcriptions.

Some may find useful these variations of the applet:

http://www.albany.net/~hello/jp3.htm

http://www.albany.net/~hello/jp4.htm

as well as in a very different JApplet (so not everyone can see it):

http://www.albany.net/~hello/cp1a.htm

Leo Wong

Leo Wong said:
For Pentecost, I've written a Java applet that displays the Jesus Prayer,

newsgroups that are about Forth.

Leo Wong

Joona said:
Currently I can't run *any* applet because my browser refuses to have
the Java plugin installed. Can you just post the appropriate texts here,
or e-mail them to me?

Jesus Christus, Sohn Gottes, erbarme Dich meiner, des Sünders.
Herra Jeesus Kristus, Jumalan Poika, armahda minua syntistä.
Herre Jesus Kristus, Guds Son, benåda mig, en syndare.

Hope the characters get through.

Leo Wong

Joona I Palaste

Leo Wong said:
Joona I Palaste wrote:
Jesus Christus, Sohn Gottes, erbarme Dich meiner, des Sünders.
Herra Jeesus Kristus, Jumalan Poika, armahda minua syntistä.
Herre Jesus Kristus, Guds Son, benåda mig, en syndare.
Hope the characters get through.

The characters are in UTF-8 while I'm using ISO-8859-1, but I can guess
their intended meaning well enough. I suppose "Son of God" is supposed
to be capitalised regardless of language. In this case I can vouch for
the correctness of the Finnish version, and can not find any fault in
the German and Swedish versions either. Any native speakers here?
I have not yet come up with a Klingon version but will do so when I
have more free time.

Joona I Palaste

The characters are in UTF-8 while I'm using ISO-8859-1, but I can guess
their intended meaning well enough. I suppose "Son of God" is supposed
to be capitalised regardless of language. In this case I can vouch for
the correctness of the Finnish version, and can not find any fault in
the German and Swedish versions either. Any native speakers here?
I have not yet come up with a Klingon version but will do so when I
have more free time.

Here we go... This is a very rough draft, because I have only learned
Klingon from one book. It might have some mistakes.

yeSuS QIStuS pIn'a' puqloD jIHDaq yempu'bogh pung yInobneS

Translation: Jesus Christ, Son of God, do me the honour of giving
mercy to me, who have sinned.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ------------- Finland --------\
"A friend of mine is into Voodoo Acupuncture. You don't have to go into her

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote:
I don't read Arabic, but isn't your example reading left to right?

Not that I am aware of.

...Did you scroll down? The launchable
example shows it being constructed
part by part (from right to left).

Andrew Thompson

I have not yet come up with a Klingon version but will do so when I
have more free time.

...what about Vulcan, ..Borg?

Or for that matter Auk, ..Elven? ;-)

P.Hill

Andrew said:
..Did you scroll down? The launchable
example shows it being constructed
part by part (from right to left).

Yes I did. Sorry My mistake. I see what you are saying each line
differs from the previous on the LEFT.

Never mind,
-Paul

Andrew Thompson

I talking about a Java applet in which "Aslam Alykm" displays correctly
in some browsers and as "mkylA malsA" in others.

I still do not quite understand.

Are you saying that some browser/JRE
combinations will display the phrase
I am trying to write, incorrectly?

[ In the example I point to, you
should be able to see the string
being constructed character by
character - from right to left. ]

Have you got an example that displays
the problem you mention?

Andrew Thompson

Here is "Peace Be Upon You" in Arabic (after your program):

http://www.albany.net/~hello/jptest.htm

Wow.. Thanks!
It seems right on IE6 and Firefox with JVM 1.4,

My IE 6 w 1.4 JRE..
..wrong on IE6 with MS JVM.

...hmmm. OK, flips to MSVM..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/eg/arwrong.png>
Ooooohhhh, yeah.. Typical ehh? :-(

What's the bet it renders correctly in 1.1.8?

Fortunately, the version at PhySci.codes
is 'safe' from the MSVM.. It uses Swing. ;-)
..Other can probably report on how it displays on other browser-jvm
combinations.

Yes, I would be interested to hear from
other people if this is a problem for
any VM other than the MSVM.

We have the actual images of both, throw
your browser at both the link above and
(if you have a 1.2+ VM) my version at..
<http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp?class=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode>

Report back whether either/both are
rendering correctly.

Leo Wong

Joona said:
The characters are in UTF-8 while I'm using ISO-8859-1, but I can guess
their intended meaning well enough. I suppose "Son of God" is supposed
to be capitalised regardless of language. In this case I can vouch for
the correctness of the Finnish version, and can not find any fault in
the German and Swedish versions either. Any native speakers here?
I have not yet come up with a Klingon version but will do so when I
have more free time.

Thank you very much. Is there a Usenet standard for character coding?
Should I be using ISO-8859-1?

Leo

Alan Anderson

Joona I Palaste said:
Here we go... This is a very rough draft, because I have only learned
Klingon from one book. It might have some mistakes.

yeSuS QIStuS pIn'a' puqloD jIHDaq yempu'bogh pung yInobneS

Translation: Jesus Christ, Son of God, do me the honour of giving
mercy to me, who have sinned.

Very close. The word order is a little off, and you're probably not
aware of a bit of vocabulary that would do well here. Oh, and
{QIStoS} is closer to the Greek for "anointed one". Here's what I'd
suggest:

yeSuS QIStoS, Qun'a' puqloD, jIyempu'bogh jIHvaD pung yInobneS.

{Qun} means "supernatural being". {jIH} "me" is the subject of {yem}
"sin", so it has to come after the verb. {-Daq} is the "locative"
suffix, but {-vaD} "beneficiary" is more appropriate for the recipient
of {nob} "give".

Using the honorific {-neS} is perfect, though. Well done.