OT: strange things that people search for

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Toby A Inkster, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. I've been going through my logs and noticing a few strange things that
    people have Googled for in the referer field...

    * "marcus patrick" gay
    * how to prosecute someone in the USA from the UK
    * the sleepover club TV series CITV
    * buffy the vampire slayer main thame
    * Willy Wombat treehouse

    Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
    page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is. Never heard of the
    Sleepover Club TV series either.

    Best of all...

    * ingredients in a tin of tomatos

    Well, duh.

    One thing I'm happy about though... I put up this page back in August:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=270

    because I had been having trouble configuring the display on Linux for my
    new computer at work. This page has been Googled for 74 times: potentially
    74 people that have benefited from the 5 minutes it took to put that page
    up. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 8, 2004

  2. Toby A Inkster <> writes:

    > Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
    > page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is. Never heard of the
    > Sleepover Club TV series either.

    Yes you did!

    <http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Software/linux/tv2html/test.html>

    You just didn't pay attention. :)

    --
    | ) 111010111011 | http://bednarz.nl/
    -(

    Eric B. Bednarz, Feb 8, 2004

  3. Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster <> writes:
    >
    >> Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
    >> page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is.

    > Yes you did!

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Software/linux/tv2html/test.html

    Ah. That explains it.

    The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
    any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 8, 2004
  4. Toby A Inkster

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:40:11 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
    >any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

    No (not to share !).

    But if you look at the logs for a site (like, for instance a well
    known magazine publisher), and this site occasionally features
    innocent pictures of "eye candy totty" posing with the latest mobile
    phone / CD player gadget, then you get some interesting search
    phrases. Often involving some presumably fruitless search for said
    totty, pr0n, and either kitchen appliances or farm animals.

    And I've no idea why the Hashemite kingdom of Jordan has so much
    connection with silicone. Maybe it's all that sand ?

    Andy Dingley, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Toby A Inkster

    Safalra Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
    > any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

    Sure... These ones are a bit cryptic:

    husqzgimae8j
    1117 microsoft errors
    here outside error = 0 success = 0
    #219 chain
    10 formula errors

    These ones imply some strange people are visiting:

    dinosaurs evolved aliens
    humans evolved from dolphins

    This one is rather sinister:

    mass extinctions experiments

    This one sounds increasingly desparate as it goes along:

    paradox nature or animal or star or galaxy -trek -game -poetry

    --- Safalra (Stephen Morley) ---
    http://www.safalra.com/hypertext

    Safalra, Feb 8, 2004
  6. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else
    > have any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

    better than that: http://www.alltheweb.com/recentqueries can be a trifle
    entertaining.

    --
    William Tasso

    William Tasso, Feb 8, 2004
  7. Toby A Inkster

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Re: strange things that people search for

    Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > I've been going through my logs and noticing a few strange things that
    > people have Googled for in the referer field...
    >
    > * "marcus patrick" gay
    > * how to prosecute someone in the USA from the UK
    > * the sleepover club TV series CITV
    > * buffy the vampire slayer main thame
    > * Willy Wombat treehouse
    >
    > Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
    > page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is. Never heard
    > of the Sleepover Club TV series either.
    >
    > Best of all...
    >
    > * ingredients in a tin of tomatos
    >
    > Well, duh.
    >
    > One thing I'm happy about though... I put up this page back in August:
    >
    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=270
    >
    > because I had been having trouble configuring the display on Linux
    > for my new computer at work. This page has been Googled for 74 times:
    > potentially 74 people that have benefited from the 5 minutes it took
    > to put that page up. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :)

    I made a site quite some time ago that would generate some strange looking
    searches. It uses several different dictionaries and word lists to put
    together a "phrase" that it then Googles for, the intent being that you get
    a fairly random site out of Google.

    Nik Coughin, Feb 8, 2004
  8. Toby A Inkster

    Firas D. Guest

    Firas D., Feb 8, 2004
  9. Toby A Inkster

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    Andy Dingley <> wrote in

    > And I've no idea why the Hashemite kingdom of Jordan has so much
    > connection with silicone. Maybe it's all that sand ?

    Maybe it's to do with the fact that there's a supermodel named Jordan.

    Eric Bohlman, Feb 8, 2004
  10. Toby A Inkster

    Zak McGregor Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 15:40:11 +0200, Toby A Inkster <"Toby A Inkster"
    <>> wrote:

    > Eric B. Bednarz wrote:
    >
    >> Toby A Inkster <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
    >>> page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is.

    >> Yes you did!

    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Software/linux/tv2html/test.html
    >
    > Ah. That explains it.
    >
    > The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
    > any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

    I don't often look, but one I do remember: "how to be a playboy model"...
    *grin*

    Ciao

    Zak

    http://www.carfolio.com/ Searchable database of 10 000+ car specs

    Zak McGregor, Feb 9, 2004
  11. Toby A Inkster schrieb:

    > Eric B. Bednarz wrote:
    >
    > > Toby A Inkster <> writes:
    > >
    > >> Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
    > >> page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is.

    > > Yes you did!

    > http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Software/linux/tv2html/test.html
    >
    > Ah. That explains it.
    >
    > The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
    > any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

    "anarchist cookbook"

    "<!doctype html public -//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en >"

    "what sport is related to wag the dog and tic"

    and, weirdest of all:
    "give thanks bibeltext"

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Feb 9, 2004