OT: strange things that people search for

Toby A Inkster

I've been going through my logs and noticing a few strange things that
people have Googled for in the referer field...

* "marcus patrick" gay
* how to prosecute someone in the USA from the UK
* the sleepover club TV series CITV
* buffy the vampire slayer main thame
* Willy Wombat treehouse

Why, oh why, oh why did these people end up at my site? I don't have a
page about Marcus Patrick. I don't even know who he is. Never heard of the
Sleepover Club TV series either.

Best of all...

* ingredients in a tin of tomatos

Well, duh.

One thing I'm happy about though... I put up this page back in August:

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=270

because I had been having trouble configuring the display on Linux for my
new computer at work. This page has been Googled for 74 times: potentially
74 people that have benefited from the 5 minutes it took to put that page
up. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :)

Andy Dingley

The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

No (not to share !).

But if you look at the logs for a site (like, for instance a well
known magazine publisher), and this site occasionally features
innocent pictures of "eye candy totty" posing with the latest mobile
phone / CD player gadget, then you get some interesting search
phrases. Often involving some presumably fruitless search for said
totty, pr0n, and either kitchen appliances or farm animals.

And I've no idea why the Hashemite kingdom of Jordan has so much
connection with silicone. Maybe it's all that sand ?

Safalra

Toby A Inkster said:
The thing I was going to add to my original post: does anyone else have
any bizarre searches in their logs that they'd like to share?

Sure... These ones are a bit cryptic:

husqzgimae8j
1117 microsoft errors
here outside error = 0 success = 0
#219 chain
10 formula errors

These ones imply some strange people are visiting:

dinosaurs evolved aliens
humans evolved from dolphins

This one is rather sinister:

mass extinctions experiments

This one sounds increasingly desparate as it goes along:

paradox nature or animal or star or galaxy -trek -game -poetry

--- Safalra (Stephen Morley) ---
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext

Nik Coughin

Toby said:
[...]

I made a site quite some time ago that would generate some strange looking
searches. It uses several different dictionaries and word lists to put
together a "phrase" that it then Googles for, the intent being that you get
a fairly random site out of Google.

Eric Bohlman

And I've no idea why the Hashemite kingdom of Jordan has so much
connection with silicone. Maybe it's all that sand ?

Maybe it's to do with the fact that there's a supermodel named Jordan.

verona