[OT] The noise level is increasing

Wojtek

As I understand it, this newsgroup is for technical discussion.

Yet increasingly we are getting a LOT of personal attacks on other
people. I do not really care who insulted who first, or who perceives a
harmless post as an attack.

I quit reading advocacy groups a long time ago because most
"discussions" devolved into a few individuals jumping all over each
other.

So how about ceasing all this pointless bickering. You are all right
and you are all wrong. Nobody is going to convince anyone else of their
righteousness.

Meanwhile the rest of us have to wade throught this garbage. Go find an
advocacy group somewhere....

Or at the very least start a new thread, so I can kill-file the thread
subject line. Because the alternative is to kill-file individuals, and
some of you have made interesting on-topic posts in the past.

Daniel Pitts

[...]

I second!

Joe Attardi

I hereby pledge not to post any more articles in the "Java and avoiding
software piracy?" thread.

Since I have become one of the biggest offenders in that thread, I
will pledge the same.

kaldrenon

Agreed. As far as the "Java and avoiding.." thread, I just entered
that arena, but if my comments evoke a response I'll take the
discussion elsewhere.

Sometimes OT discussions go interesting places, but it's important to
keep relevance in mind.

Joe Attardi

Sometimes OT discussions go interesting places, but it's important to
keep relevance in mind.

I'll tell you one thing - I bet the OP of that thread is watching this
thinking, "What the hell did I start?!"
Just kidding OP, if you're still out there and we haven't scared you
away yet. :)

Wojtek

Joe Attardi wrote :
I'll tell you one thing - I bet the OP of that thread is watching this
thinking, "What the hell did I start?!"
Just kidding OP, if you're still out there and we haven't scared you
away yet. :)

Oh, it was not an idle post.

There are always individuals that take EVERYTHING personally, so I
expect some sort of, um, retribution. After 15+ years of newsgroups, I
have pretty well seen it all. Actually I find attacks on me amusing,
that the poster has nothing else to fall back on except personal
attacks.

In other words, attack me, lose the discussion. Sad really...

Wojtek

Just to give some statistics:

Java and Avoiding Piracy - 208 posts
The modernization of EMACS - 329 posts

But the all time winner is:

Giving an application a window in a sensible way - 671 posts