[OT] The noise level is increasing

Discussion in 'Java' started by Wojtek, Jul 24, 2007.

  1. Wojtek

    Wojtek Guest

    As I understand it, this newsgroup is for technical discussion.

    Yet increasingly we are getting a LOT of personal attacks on other
    people. I do not really care who insulted who first, or who perceives a
    harmless post as an attack.

    I quit reading advocacy groups a long time ago because most
    "discussions" devolved into a few individuals jumping all over each
    other.

    So how about ceasing all this pointless bickering. You are all right
    and you are all wrong. Nobody is going to convince anyone else of their
    righteousness.

    Meanwhile the rest of us have to wade throught this garbage. Go find an
    advocacy group somewhere....

    Or at the very least start a new thread, so I can kill-file the thread
    subject line. Because the alternative is to kill-file individuals, and
    some of you have made interesting on-topic posts in the past.

    --
    Wojtek :)
    Wojtek, Jul 24, 2007

  2. Wojtek

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Re: The noise level is increasing

    On Jul 24, 8:40 am, Wojtek <> wrote:
    > As I understand it, this newsgroup is for technical discussion.
    >
    > Yet increasingly we are getting a LOT of personal attacks on other
    > people. I do not really care who insulted who first, or who perceives a
    > harmless post as an attack.
    >
    > I quit reading advocacy groups a long time ago because most
    > "discussions" devolved into a few individuals jumping all over each
    > other.
    >
    > So how about ceasing all this pointless bickering. You are all right
    > and you are all wrong. Nobody is going to convince anyone else of their
    > righteousness.
    >
    > Meanwhile the rest of us have to wade throught this garbage. Go find an
    > advocacy group somewhere....
    >
    > Or at the very least start a new thread, so I can kill-file the thread
    > subject line. Because the alternative is to kill-file individuals, and
    > some of you have made interesting on-topic posts in the past.
    >
    > --
    > Wojtek :)

    I second!
    Daniel Pitts, Jul 24, 2007

  3. [OT] Re: The noise level is increasing

    Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > On Jul 24, 8:40 am, Wojtek <> wrote:
    >> As I understand it, this newsgroup is for technical discussion.
    >>
    >> Yet increasingly we are getting a LOT of personal attacks on other
    >> people. I do not really care who insulted who first, or who perceives a
    >> harmless post as an attack.
    >>
    >> I quit reading advocacy groups a long time ago because most
    >> "discussions" devolved into a few individuals jumping all over each
    >> other.
    >>
    >> So how about ceasing all this pointless bickering. You are all right
    >> and you are all wrong. Nobody is going to convince anyone else of their
    >> righteousness.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile the rest of us have to wade throught this garbage. Go find an
    >> advocacy group somewhere....
    >>
    >> Or at the very least start a new thread, so I can kill-file the thread
    >> subject line. Because the alternative is to kill-file individuals, and
    >> some of you have made interesting on-topic posts in the past.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wojtek :)

    > I second!

    I hereby pledge not to post any more articles in the "Java and avoiding
    software piracy?" thread.

    Patricia
    Patricia Shanahan, Jul 24, 2007
  4. Wojtek

    Joe Attardi Guest

    On Jul 24, 12:05 pm, Patricia Shanahan <> wrote:
    > I hereby pledge not to post any more articles in the "Java and avoiding
    > software piracy?" thread.

    Since I have become one of the biggest offenders in that thread, I
    will pledge the same.
    Joe Attardi, Jul 24, 2007
  5. Wojtek

    kaldrenon Guest

    Re: The noise level is increasing

    Agreed. As far as the "Java and avoiding.." thread, I just entered
    that arena, but if my comments evoke a response I'll take the
    discussion elsewhere.

    Sometimes OT discussions go interesting places, but it's important to
    keep relevance in mind.
    kaldrenon, Jul 24, 2007
  6. Wojtek

    Joe Attardi Guest

    On Jul 24, 12:32 pm, kaldrenon <> wrote:
    > Sometimes OT discussions go interesting places, but it's important to
    > keep relevance in mind.

    I'll tell you one thing - I bet the OP of that thread is watching this
    thinking, "What the hell did I start?!"
    Just kidding OP, if you're still out there and we haven't scared you
    away yet. :)
    Joe Attardi, Jul 24, 2007
  7. Wojtek

    Wojtek Guest

    Joe Attardi wrote :
    > On Jul 24, 12:32 pm, kaldrenon <> wrote:
    >> Sometimes OT discussions go interesting places, but it's important to
    >> keep relevance in mind.

    > I'll tell you one thing - I bet the OP of that thread is watching this
    > thinking, "What the hell did I start?!"
    > Just kidding OP, if you're still out there and we haven't scared you
    > away yet. :)

    Oh, it was not an idle post.

    There are always individuals that take EVERYTHING personally, so I
    expect some sort of, um, retribution. After 15+ years of newsgroups, I
    have pretty well seen it all. Actually I find attacks on me amusing,
    that the poster has nothing else to fall back on except personal
    attacks.

    In other words, attack me, lose the discussion. Sad really...

    --
    Wojtek :)
    Wojtek, Jul 24, 2007
  8. Wojtek

    Wojtek Guest

    Just to give some statistics:

    Java and Avoiding Piracy - 208 posts
    The modernization of EMACS - 329 posts

    But the all time winner is:

    Giving an application a window in a sensible way - 671 posts

    --
    Wojtek :)
    Wojtek, Jul 24, 2007