OT - to non USA folks

Joel Shepherd

brucie said:
In alt.html Travis Newbury said:

all that shows is most of the people in the US are fuckwits.

If that's a lunge for the moral high ground, I think you fell a little
short.

If folks aren't happy about the situation, maybe, just maybe, it's time
to pause the name-calling and hysteria and do some serious consideration
of exactly *why* Bush and the neo-cons have the backing that they do.
Take time to understand the enemy, in other words. Calling them
****-wits is not productive: it only riles them up, and it does
*nothing* to help develop a workable strategy for reducing their
influence.

Brucie, I know that where you are you're probably not much inclined to
get involved in U.S. politics (lucky you), so don't take this as
directed personally at you. But I do think if anyone wants to take down
the neo-cons, they need to start understanding *why* the neo-cons'
message has been successful to begin with. And they need to expect that
it's going to take some time for an opposing philosophy to take root.
The neo-cons and Christian Right have been working on theirs since the
70s.

Disturbing, but nothing indicating that the results were materially
affected. And it's a distraction from what the real issues are.

--
Joel.

http://www.cv6.org/
"May she also say with just pride:
I have done the State some service."

Toby Inkster

Matthias said:
Absolutely. Remember the "war on drugs"? The entertainment industry
loved it, they sold hundreds of movies about baaad drug gangstas. And
now, with the "war on terror", they sell hundreds of movies about baaaad
terrorists.

I think there have been plenty of films about terrorists for many years
before the "war on terror". Arlington Road, Die Hard, The Peacemaker,
almost every Bond film, True Lies, Under Seige, Air Force One, Toy
Soldiers, Executive Decision, Face/Off...

Travis Newbury

Hi All
Please lets set some things right in your minds?
1. The war is not about oil. Its a foot hold in the mid east!!
2. The high gas prices are because of the building that china
is doing and the rest of the world too.
3. Pres. Bush went to the U.N but that was a bad thing, Y The
bunch of them are crooks and hate us anyway becuase they are
poor.
4. We need to out source more jobs so all can have a good life.
5. sen. Kerry spent 4 months in country and happened to have a
video cam. not a easy thing back in 1969 I was there. Just a
rich kid their to get a few pictures to look good when he runs
for office.
^ i cuold go on but got to get back to work now
GOD BLESS AMERICA
PS sorry for the spelling but if thats a big thing to you i
cant help it get a life.

The way I see it is you have this small number of terrorists that
believe that their "God" is telling them that they must make everyone
believe like they do. And if someone does not convert they they must
kill that person. Should they die trying to accomplish this, they will
be rewarded in heaven (with the exact thing they are trying to eradicate
from the earth mightI add).

Now, there is absolutely nothing I could possibly say that will get this
person to believe his God is wrong about this. Because if I could, I
would prove their God is not infallible, and thus not a God. So you can
not reason with these people.

The only solution is to kill them first. Prison will not stop them from
accomplishing their goal. I would be open to a better solution, but
alas, there are none.

They are like the terminator. They will not stop until they are
destroyed.

Travis Newbury

all that shows is most of the people in the US are fuckwits.

Fine, you think we are fuckwhits. So what, we are still happy with our
decision.

Big deal. Mary Poppins didn't get to vote either. Because of the size
of the pool (100+ million voters?) statistically there will be an equal
number of errors on both sides. Pointing out one or the other is
meaningless and shows a lack of understanding of the system. On the
surface, and to the uneducated, news articles like this sway people.
But at a macro level, they are irrelevant.

brucie

In alt.html Travis Newbury said:
Fine, you think we are fuckwhits.

not all but i'm still looking for a suitable word to describe them.
"fucking americans" is very popular in my area but it doesn't
distinguish between the fuckwits and non-fuckwits.

"fucking bushies" is the logical choice except in australia bushies are
country people so its a bit ambiguous.
So what, we are still happy with our decision.

not all, theres hope for america yet, assuming we all survive the next 4
years.

Jim

brucie said:
In alt.html Travis Newbury said:

not all but i'm still looking for a suitable word to describe them.
"fucking americans" is very popular in my area but it doesn't
distinguish between the fuckwits and non-fuckwits.

"fucking bushies" is the logical choice except in australia bushies are
country people so its a bit ambiguous.

not all, theres hope for america yet, assuming we all survive the next 4
years.

Funny thing is "I like Australians as a rule"., Even though they have the
highest rate of mental disorders per capita in the western world.

brucie

In alt.html Jim said:
Funny thing is "I like Australians as a rule"., Even though they have the
highest rate of mental disorders per capita in the western world.

the stats are a bit off. the little voices insist on being counted as
individuals.

Barbara de Zoete

GOD BLESS AMERICA

It might be in need of a few blessings. Recently came across a list[1]
that explains why the United States of America are to be considered a
third world country :-D :

- executing the death penalty, including executing it on children;
- the disproportionate distribution of value (property, worth?) between
the small elite and all others;
- the degree of armamend of the citizens, civilians;
- the use of agression on ones own initiative towards other autonomous
countries;
- the systematical neglect of the needs of ethnical minorities;
- the systematical discrimination of colored minorities;
- the disproportional distribution of power, oligarchical in nature
between a few and the vast majority of people;
- the degree of unnatural, violent deaths among the civilians;
- the systematical disregard for international conventions;
- the proportion of its own citizens that is in any way imprisoned;
- the proportional public debt;
- the death rate of newly borns among the non-WASP's;
- the systimetical violation of individual civil rights;
- the manipulation of the 'view of the world' of their own citizens by the
governement;
- putting children to active duty on a war front;
- the proportional budget spent on war;
- the rate of teenagers getting pregnant;
- keeping people captive for long periods without any form of trial;
- the systimetical sacrifice of civil rights.

There was more, but this starts to build a picture.

:-/ Good luck US

[1]Had to translate the list, so I'm sorry if my use of english is bad.
Not sorry for the content.

Neal

The only solution is to kill them first...
They are like the terminator. They will not stop until they are
destroyed.

Consider this carefully.

Where do terrorists hide? Among civilians.

Where do terrorists strike? Among civilians.

How do terrorists dress? As civilians.

Now, if your goal is to kill a terrorist, is there a way to prevent
civilian collateral? Clearly, no. So to exterminate terrorists means
taking out a lot of civilians with them.

In fact, as their numbers dwindle, they will even more securely wrap
themselves in a civilian safety net. Ultimately, the risk of eliminating
all terrorists through military means is tantamount to genocide.

I don't think a policy of genocide, or anything close to it, is going to
make the US any more popular in the world than we are now. We're already
stretching our European alliances as thin as they will go, for starters.

For the US to keep itself safest from a terrorist threat, we need to
examine why terrorists want to attack the US and its interests. The
reasons have been told to us, time and time again, but many will not
listen.

1) US pressure on Arab countries to change their system of society
2) US lack of condemnation of Israel's oppression of Palestinians

In general, what they want is to be left alone. So long as we do not do
that, they will have a cause.

The more you poke a bee's nest, the more likely everyone's going to get
stung.

Neal

Fine, you think we are fuckwhits. So what, we are still happy with our
decision.

Speak for yourself, please, not all.

51% of the voting population wanted Bush. 49% wanted something different.
While Bush got a majority, it's still roughly half-and-half.

This is the most important fact people are ignoring, in general - only
about half the voters wanted this president. That means if this president
pushes an agenda supporting the right-wing (and how else shall I interpret
his statements about "political capital"?) he will be disenfranchising
about half the population of this country.

What Bush must do for the sake of our nation's future is to push a
multi-partisan agenda, equal in its support of the ideals of all factions
of the American populace. He needs to reach out to the Democrats with more
than "This is what I'm going to do, and I'd like your support" - he needs
to bring them into the process.

Mind you, he doesn't need to from a political standpoint - he has strong
majorities to pass nearly anything he would like. But this country does
not need a politician in the Oval Office - it needs a statesman. I just
hope he's up to the challenge.

Neal

Without quill or qualm, Neal quothed:

The half that voted Republican.

Oh, good. Actually, some of them are fairly intelligent. Many can cook
well. Often they find tax loopholes I cannot. They often have spacious and
luxurious RVs. I respect that.
Alphabetically and sequentially by letter.

That's so cool.

Jeff Thies

Travis said:
Fine, you think we are fuckwhits.

That's because, it's true.

Voting for Bush defies logic. No administration has had such a calous
disregard for truth and facts. Bushies think that what they hear from
political commentators and opinionist is just as factually accurate as
what the mainstream media reports or for that matter the Congressional OMB.

Now if you want to vote with you heart, that's fine. But don't say
that that the economy is fine, that it's better to fight al Qaeda in
Iraq than the US (they were *never* there before) or that it's just a
few dead endenders (how many times did Rumsfeld say that!!!) that are
behind the insurgency. Or that the "coalition of the willing" is growing
stronger.

I'll accept that you share a commonality with Bush and vote with him
because of that. That says a lot about America and yourself.

Jeff

So what, we are still happy with our

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Barbara de Zoete:
Recently came across a list[1]
that explains why the United States of America are to be considered a
third world country :-D

Is there a URL?

Barbara de Zoete

Also sprach Barbara de Zoete:
Recently came across a list[1]
that explains why the United States of America are to be considered a
third world country :-D

Is there a URL?

Undoubtedly, but it has been a while ago that I read this. Come to think
of it, might have been an article in a newspaper and not on the www. I was
so impressed by the list of criteria, I scribbled it down on a scrap of
paper and never forgot its contents. Seemed to have left two important
criteria out though:
- Lack of interest in environmental issues;
- relative amount of people who cannot afford a normal house (the ones
with walls and a sturdy roof instead of a trailer or the streets).

Also recently read an article, definitely newspaper, where the US are in
the proud company of North Korea and other countries, meeting their own
criteria of what make a country one of the 'axis of evil'. US passed at A
-level :) Loved that one too. Forgot to write that list down though, so I
don't actually remember contentwise what was said. Just the punchline.

Barbara de Zoete

Seemed to have left two important criteria out though:
- Lack of interest in environmental issues;
- relative amount of people who cannot afford a normal house (the ones
with walls and a sturdy roof instead of a trailer or the streets).

Oh oh, and one more:
- the endorsement of slavery within their federal boundaries (because of
not doing anything about the illigal workers with no place to go, no civil
rights, no protection what so ever, doing all sorts of hard labour twelve
to sixteen hours a day, living with like fifteen people in two rooms).

Wayfarer

Thus spake Barbara de Zoete:
[...]

Thank you for this list, Barbara. Does the remainder of the list
include lack of universal health care anywhere?

Is the (Dutch, I assume) source of this list online? Not that I'm
conversant in anything except English, but perhaps to save you the
effort I could translate the rest of it adequately using Google.

I would be very interested in seeing the actual statistical comparisons,
especially among other "First World" countries. Not being much of a
statistics wonk, I hope I can get most of them through
http://www.nationmaster.com/.

Thanks again, especially for the luck. I suspect we'll need it. The
words of Edward Abbey keep coming back to me: "A patriot must always be
ready to defend his country against his government."

Not a fuckwit, at least not in brucie's "Bushian" sense,
Neill