    I have Googled for link checkers but they all seem to be for checking the
    website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

    TIA.

    MalcolmP, Dec 31, 2006

  2. MalcolmP

    Spartanicus Guest

    MalcolmP <> wrote:

    >I have Googled for link checkers

    Really?

    >but they all seem to be for checking the
    >website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

    When I Google for "link checker" the third search result (*) does what
    you want.

    (*) A search result does not include "sponsored links".

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Dec 31, 2006

  3. MalcolmP

    MalcolmP Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:42:29 +0000, Spartanicus wrote:
    > Really?
    >
    >>but they all seem to be for checking the
    >>website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

    > When I Google for "link checker" the third search result (*) does what
    > you want.
    >
    > (*) A search result does not include "sponsored links".

    Really !! well, the 3rd result on my search was
    (Quote)
    Link Popularity Check
    Check your site's link popularity with search engines.
    www.linkpopularitycheck.com/
    (/Quote)
    Which is actually returning a site not found/timed out error, :-((( but I
    dont think from the sound of it is quite what I want !!

    So, please, pretty please, could you be a little more specific ? !
    Buy u a virtual beer ,,, :-!)

    MalcolmP, Dec 31, 2006
  4. MalcolmP

    MalcolmP Guest

    Ooops,
    quoted the wrong one, got my eyes xxed this was my 3rd :
    Link Popularity Check - Marketleap Search Engine Marketing Tools

    Still doesnt sound like what I need.

    BUT the W3C sounds like a gudun, xcept that it is all in tarballs and perls
    and stuff that I dont know how to use :(

    Perhaps i should have said that I am using WindowsME ?

    MalcolmP, Dec 31, 2006
  5. MalcolmP

    Rick Brandt Guest

    "MalcolmP" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:42:29 +0000, Spartanicus wrote:
    >> Really?
    >>
    >>>but they all seem to be for checking the
    >>>website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

    >> When I Google for "link checker" the third search result (*) does what
    >> you want.
    >>
    >> (*) A search result does not include "sponsored links".

    > Really !! well, the 3rd result on my search was
    > (Quote)
    > Link Popularity Check
    > Check your site's link popularity with search engines.
    > www.linkpopularitycheck.com/
    > (/Quote)
    > Which is actually returning a site not found/timed out error, :-((( but I
    > dont think from the sound of it is quite what I want !!
    >
    > So, please, pretty please, could you be a little more specific ? !
    > Buy u a virtual beer ,,, :-!)

    That is the third link returned for "link check", not for "link checker".

    Rick Brandt, Dec 31, 2006
  6. On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:53:39 +0000, MalcolmP wrote
    (in article <1fm21n6vg8u0y$.1b8y5pvmkpvxl$>):

    > Ooops,
    > quoted the wrong one, got my eyes xxed this was my 3rd :
    > Link Popularity Check - Marketleap Search Engine Marketing Tools
    >
    > Still doesnt sound like what I need.
    >
    > BUT the W3C sounds like a gudun, xcept that it is all in tarballs and perls
    > and stuff that I dont know how to use :(
    >
    > Perhaps i should have said that I am using WindowsME ?

    I'll be kind :). Google for Xenu link checker - or just Xenu.

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

    Sally Thompson, Dec 31, 2006
  7. MalcolmP

    David Segall Guest

    MalcolmP <> wrote:

    >Apologies if this is off topic for this group,
    >I am sure you knowlegeable people will either know the answer or point me
    >to the right group ! Thanks :-
    >
    >I have locally on my HDrive a draft website, all handcrafted in fairly
    >simple HTML in notepad (I'm still learning !) and all contained in a
    >hierarchy under a 'master' folder which contains the index page (ie. all
    >locally referenced)
    >Is there a method/program that I can use to check that all the linked pages
    >and pictures exist in the right folders/subfolders and etc ?
    >ie. a local spider I suppose.
    >
    >I have Googled for link checkers but they all seem to be for checking the
    >website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

    I use Dreamweaver <http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/> which
    checks the links as you specify them. So, if you specify the link as
    images/mypicture.gif that is what it checks, relative to the "current"
    page wherever it is. If you specify the link as
    http://www.ibm.com/index.html then that is what it checks. Dreamweaver
    is relatively expensive and is much more than a link checker but you
    can download the free trial and check your links. I am surprised that
    other desktop link checkers don't work in the same way.

    David Segall, Dec 31, 2006
  8. MalcolmP

    MalcolmP Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:27:48 +0000, Sally Thompson wrote:

    > I'll be kind :).

    Thank you so much, you've just restored my faith in humanity ! (**)

    > Google for Xenu link checker - or just Xenu.

    Thanks, got it, I'll try it in a minute,

    (,,,or later cos I've just consumed a couple of Laphroaigs -spoils of Xmas
    past- in an attempt to calm down and not be rude(3) back to the
    Bent&Spartan ones! (2)(insert seperscript) )

    Malcolm,
    SW England

    --------- Cut here and dispose ------------
    ** PS (2) what is a nice person like you doing here amongst the likes of
    them !?LOL
    Now where was I 3hrs ago ,,, mumble ,,,
    AI bots ,, mutter,,,
    I=NOT inteligence
    grrrr
    (3) oh drat !!

    MalcolmP, Dec 31, 2006
  9. MalcolmP

    MalcolmP Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:27:48 +0000, Sally Thompson wrote:
    > I'll be kind :). Google for Xenu link checker - or just Xenu.

    Thank you, nice find,
    worked a treat,
    and all put to bed now.

    Best Wishes for your New Year

    MalcolmP, Dec 31, 2006
  10. MalcolmP

    MalcolmP Guest

    Thanks David,
    Sally has got it all sorted for me.

    Happy New Year.

    MalcolmP, Dec 31, 2006
  11. MalcolmP

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, MalcolmP
    <> vouchsafed:

    > --------- Cut here and dispose ------------
    > ** PS (2) what is a nice person like you doing here amongst the likes
    > of them !?

    Don't be naive! Women always seem nice...at first.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, Jan 1, 2007
  12. MalcolmP wrote:

    > Thank you, nice find,
    > worked a treat,
    > and all put to bed now.

    We don't get many attempts at haiku in here. ;)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 1, 2007
  13. On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 04:20:31 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote
    (in article <>):

    > MalcolmP wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you, nice find,
    >> worked a treat,
    >> and all put to bed now.

    > We don't get many attempts at haiku in here. ;)

    Not enough syllables :)

    Sally Thompson, Jan 1, 2007
  14. MalcolmP

    MalcolmP Guest

    Sally Thompson wrote:
    >Blinky the Shark wrote
    >> MalcolmP wrote:
    >>> Thank you, nice find,
    >>> worked a treat,
    >>> and all put to bed now.

    >> We don't get many attempts at haiku in here. ;)

    >Not enough syllables :)

    LOL !
    Considering it was my zeroth attempt at haiku you're lucky to have got
    those few syllables ;-)))

    Offers instead :

    Thank you nicely found
    indeed it worked a treat,
    all blown away now.

    note the seasonal ref in last line for Sally and for good measure ;)
    HNY

    MalcolmP, Jan 1, 2007
  15. Sally Thompson wrote:

    > On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 04:20:31 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    >> MalcolmP wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thank you, nice find,
    >>> worked a treat,
    >>> and all put to bed now.

    >> We don't get many attempts at haiku in here. ;)

    > Not enough syllables :)

    That's why I said "attempts".

    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 1, 2007
  16. MalcolmP wrote:

    > Sally Thompson wrote:
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote
    >>> We don't get many attempts at haiku in here. ;)

    >>Not enough syllables :)

    > LOL !
    > Considering it was my zeroth attempt at haiku you're lucky to
    > have got those few syllables ;-)))
    >
    > Offers instead :
    >
    > Thank you nicely found
    > indeed it worked a treat,
    > all blown away now.
    >
    > note the seasonal ref in last line for Sally and for good
    > measure ;) HNY

    Note that the second line is short a syllable. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 1, 2007
  17. MalcolmP

    MalcolmP Guest

    >> Thank you nicely found
    >> indeed it worked a treat,
    >> all blown away now.
    >>
    >> note the seasonal ref in last line for Sally and for good
    >> measure ;) HNY

    > Note that the second line is short a syllable. :)

    Oh ?I thought it was supposed to be 5, 7, 5 ??

    -------------- snip here and discard -----------
    1) very approx cos it is a transliterated art form it would seem.
    2) Either one of us can't count(**) or the other doesnt know how I
    pronounce 'worked' :-!)
    3)poetry is like music, it doesnt work on paper you've got to hum it, all
    together now, after me 1, 2, 3. ;)
    4) who cares, lol!
    5) stop muttering from a sedentry position (as they say in the House),,
    your offering is ,, ?

    Heheee, all good fun, who'd'av believed it !
    And there I was, being all worried that _I_ was going to be OT in my first
    post !
    Tried to be polite and got Spartacanned for my troubles.

    >>> We don't get many attempts at haiku in here. ;)

    >> Not enough syllables :)

    >That's why I said "attempts".

    Point of order yr'onner, I wasn't attempting !
    You really meant to say ",, get many inadvertent haikus ,," !

    (**) It's the spirit that counts,,,

    Now where were we
    what's the plural of haiku,
    mumble seasonal mutter

    MalcolmP, Jan 1, 2007
  18. On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:31:28 GMT, in alt.html MalcolmP
    <> wrote:

    >Apologies if this is off topic for this group,
    >I am sure you knowlegeable people will either know the answer or point me
    >to the right group ! Thanks :-
    >
    >I have locally on my HDrive a draft website, all handcrafted in fairly
    >simple HTML in notepad (I'm still learning !) and all contained in a
    >hierarchy under a 'master' folder which contains the index page (ie. all
    >locally referenced)
    >Is there a method/program that I can use to check that all the linked pages
    >and pictures exist in the right folders/subfolders and etc ?
    >ie. a local spider I suppose.
    >
    >I have Googled for link checkers but they all seem to be for checking the
    >website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

    Xenu's Link Sleuth

    http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

    Works offline; I use it to check my pages before posting them.

    --
    William Hughes, San Antonio, Texas:
    The Carrier Project: http://home.grandecom.net/~cvproj/carrier.htm

    William Hughes, Jan 1, 2007
  19. MalcolmP wrote:

    >>> Thank you nicely found
    >>> indeed it worked a treat,
    >>> all blown away now.
    >>>
    >>> note the seasonal ref in last line for Sally and for good
    >>> measure ;) HNY

    >> Note that the second line is short a syllable. :)

    > Oh ?I thought it was supposed to be 5, 7, 5 ??

    You thought right. Do you really say "work ed", as two?

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 1, 2007
  20. On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 09:06:12 -0600, in alt.html William Hughes
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:31:28 GMT, in alt.html MalcolmP
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I have Googled for link checkers but they all seem to be for checking the
    >>website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

    >Xenu's Link Sleuth
    >
    >http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
    >
    >Works offline; I use it to check my pages before posting them.

    And after I posted this, I noticed that others had already recommended
    the same software and you had downloaded it and had good results.

    I shoulda stood in bed... :)

    William Hughes, Jan 2, 2007