(OT?)To test links in my HTML composition

MalcolmP

Apologies if this is off topic for this group,
I am sure you knowlegeable people will either know the answer or point me
to the right group ! Thanks :-

I have locally on my HDrive a draft website, all handcrafted in fairly
simple HTML in notepad (I'm still learning !) and all contained in a
hierarchy under a 'master' folder which contains the index page (ie. all
locally referenced)
Is there a method/program that I can use to check that all the linked pages
and pictures exist in the right folders/subfolders and etc ?
ie. a local spider I suppose.

I have Googled for link checkers but they all seem to be for checking the
website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

TIA.

Spartanicus

MalcolmP said:
I have Googled for link checkers
Really?

but they all seem to be for checking the
website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

When I Google for "link checker" the third search result (*) does what
you want.

(*) A search result does not include "sponsored links".

MalcolmP

Really?

When I Google for "link checker" the third search result (*) does what
you want.

(*) A search result does not include "sponsored links".

Really !! well, the 3rd result on my search was
(Quote)
Link Popularity Check
Check your site's link popularity with search engines.
www.linkpopularitycheck.com/
(/Quote)
Which is actually returning a site not found/timed out error, :-((( but I
dont think from the sound of it is quite what I want !!

So, please, pretty please, could you be a little more specific ? !
Buy u a virtual beer ,,, :-!)

MalcolmP

Ooops,
quoted the wrong one, got my eyes xxed this was my 3rd :
Link Popularity Check - Marketleap Search Engine Marketing Tools

Still doesnt sound like what I need.

BUT the W3C sounds like a gudun, xcept that it is all in tarballs and perls
and stuff that I dont know how to use :(

Perhaps i should have said that I am using WindowsME ?

Rick Brandt

MalcolmP said:
Really !! well, the 3rd result on my search was
(Quote)
Link Popularity Check
Check your site's link popularity with search engines.
www.linkpopularitycheck.com/
(/Quote)
Which is actually returning a site not found/timed out error, :-((( but I
dont think from the sound of it is quite what I want !!

So, please, pretty please, could you be a little more specific ? !
Buy u a virtual beer ,,, :-!)

That is the third link returned for "link check", not for "link checker".

Sally Thompson

Ooops,
quoted the wrong one, got my eyes xxed this was my 3rd :
Link Popularity Check - Marketleap Search Engine Marketing Tools

Still doesnt sound like what I need.

BUT the W3C sounds like a gudun, xcept that it is all in tarballs and perls
and stuff that I dont know how to use :(

Perhaps i should have said that I am using WindowsME ?

I'll be kind :). Google for Xenu link checker - or just Xenu.

David Segall

MalcolmP said:
Apologies if this is off topic for this group,
I am sure you knowlegeable people will either know the answer or point me
to the right group ! Thanks :-

I have locally on my HDrive a draft website, all handcrafted in fairly
simple HTML in notepad (I'm still learning !) and all contained in a
hierarchy under a 'master' folder which contains the index page (ie. all
locally referenced)
Is there a method/program that I can use to check that all the linked pages
and pictures exist in the right folders/subfolders and etc ?
ie. a local spider I suppose.

I have Googled for link checkers but they all seem to be for checking the
website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.
I use Dreamweaver <http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/> which
checks the links as you specify them. So, if you specify the link as
images/mypicture.gif that is what it checks, relative to the "current"
page wherever it is. If you specify the link as
http://www.ibm.com/index.html then that is what it checks. Dreamweaver
is relatively expensive and is much more than a link checker but you
can download the free trial and check your links. I am surprised that
other desktop link checkers don't work in the same way.

MalcolmP

I'll be kind :).

Thank you so much, you've just restored my faith in humanity ! (**)
Google for Xenu link checker - or just Xenu.

Thanks, got it, I'll try it in a minute,

(,,,or later cos I've just consumed a couple of Laphroaigs -spoils of Xmas
past- in an attempt to calm down and not be rude(3) back to the
Bent&Spartan ones! (2)(insert seperscript) )

Malcolm,
SW England

--------- Cut here and dispose ------------
** PS (2) what is a nice person like you doing here amongst the likes of
them !?LOL
Now where was I 3hrs ago ,,, mumble ,,,
AI bots ,, mutter,,,
I=NOT inteligence
grrrr
(3) oh drat !!

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, MalcolmP
--------- Cut here and dispose ------------
** PS (2) what is a nice person like you doing here amongst the likes
of them !?

Don't be naive! Women always seem nice...at first.

MalcolmP

Sally said:
Blinky the Shark wrote
Not enough syllables :)

LOL !
Considering it was my zeroth attempt at haiku you're lucky to have got
those few syllables ;-)))

Offers instead :

Thank you nicely found
indeed it worked a treat,
all blown away now.

note the seasonal ref in last line for Sally and for good measure ;)
HNY

Blinky the Shark

MalcolmP said:
LOL !
Considering it was my zeroth attempt at haiku you're lucky to
have got those few syllables ;-)))

Offers instead :

Thank you nicely found
indeed it worked a treat,
all blown away now.

note the seasonal ref in last line for Sally and for good
measure ;) HNY

Note that the second line is short a syllable. :)

MalcolmP

Note that the second line is short a syllable. :)

Oh ?I thought it was supposed to be 5, 7, 5 ??

-------------- snip here and discard -----------
1) very approx cos it is a transliterated art form it would seem.
2) Either one of us can't count(**) or the other doesnt know how I
pronounce 'worked' :-!)
3)poetry is like music, it doesnt work on paper you've got to hum it, all
together now, after me 1, 2, 3. ;)
4) who cares, lol!
5) stop muttering from a sedentry position (as they say in the House),,
your offering is ,, ?

Heheee, all good fun, who'd'av believed it !
And there I was, being all worried that _I_ was going to be OT in my first
post !
Tried to be polite and got Spartacanned for my troubles.
That's why I said "attempts".

Point of order yr'onner, I wasn't attempting !
You really meant to say ",, get many inadvertent haikus ,," !

(**) It's the spirit that counts,,,

Now where were we
what's the plural of haiku,
mumble seasonal mutter

William Hughes

Apologies if this is off topic for this group,
I am sure you knowlegeable people will either know the answer or point me
to the right group ! Thanks :-

I have locally on my HDrive a draft website, all handcrafted in fairly
simple HTML in notepad (I'm still learning !) and all contained in a
hierarchy under a 'master' folder which contains the index page (ie. all
locally referenced)
Is there a method/program that I can use to check that all the linked pages
and pictures exist in the right folders/subfolders and etc ?
ie. a local spider I suppose.

I have Googled for link checkers but they all seem to be for checking the
website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

Xenu's Link Sleuth

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

Works offline; I use it to check my pages before posting them.