OT: unix to Windows technology

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Xah Lee, Jul 8, 2009.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Dear unixers & lispers,

    i've been using Mac for the past 19 years, and been a professional sys
    admin or web app developers on the unix platform, since 1998 (maily
    Solaris, Apache, Perl, Java, SQL, PHP). In june, i bought a PC (not
    for the first time though), and made a switch to Windows, for the
    first time, in the sense as a developer instead of just a casual PC
    user i've been.

    In the past month, i've spend about 5 hours a day digging into MS
    Windows tech, in particluar, read over 200 Wikipedia articles in
    detail related to Windows technology. (192 of them linked)

    Here's a write up of the whole story, my experiences, including some
    tech introduction to MS Windows from a sys admin or programer point of
    view.

    • Switching from Mac/Unix To PC/Windows
    http://xahlee.org/mswin/switch_to_windows.html

    Some slightly noteworthy subsections are:

    • Removing HP/Compaq Software
    http://xahlee.org/mswin/hp_bundled_apps.html

    • Installing Cygwin Tutorial
    http://xahlee.org/mswin/installing_cygwin.html

    • Mac and Windows File Conversion
    http://xahlee.org/mswin/mac_windows_file_conv.html

    • Unix And Windows File Permission Systems
    http://xahlee.org/mswin/file_perm_systems.html

    • Introduction to Windows Scripting
    http://xahlee.org/mswin/windows_scripting.html

    Some articles (not shown above) are still work in progress, such as
    VBScript tutorial and PowerShell tutorial. Hoping to complete in the
    coming months or years.

    comment & feedback welcome, esp if you are a Windows expert and answer
    some of my unanswered questions on the page.

    Xah
    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄

    Xah Lee, Jul 8, 2009

  2. Xah Lee wrote:
    > Dear unixers & lispers,
    >
    > i've been using Mac for the past 19 years, and been a professional sys
    > admin or web app developers on the unix platform, since 1998 (maily
    > Solaris, Apache, Perl, Java, SQL, PHP). In june, i bought a PC (not
    > for the first time though), and made a switch to Windows, for the
    > first time, in the sense as a developer instead of just a casual PC
    > user i've been.
    >
    > In the past month, i've spend about 5 hours a day digging into MS
    > Windows tech, in particluar, read over 200 Wikipedia articles in
    > detail related to Windows technology. (192 of them linked)
    >
    > Here's a write up of the whole story, my experiences, including some
    > tech introduction to MS Windows from a sys admin or programer point of
    > view.
    >
    > • Switching from Mac/Unix To PC/Windows
    > http://xahlee.org/mswin/switch_to_windows.html
    >
    > Some slightly noteworthy subsections are:
    >
    > • Removing HP/Compaq Software
    > http://xahlee.org/mswin/hp_bundled_apps.html
    >
    > • Installing Cygwin Tutorial
    > http://xahlee.org/mswin/installing_cygwin.html
    >
    > • Mac and Windows File Conversion
    > http://xahlee.org/mswin/mac_windows_file_conv.html
    >
    > • Unix And Windows File Permission Systems
    > http://xahlee.org/mswin/file_perm_systems.html
    >
    > • Introduction to Windows Scripting
    > http://xahlee.org/mswin/windows_scripting.html
    >
    > Some articles (not shown above) are still work in progress, such as
    > VBScript tutorial and PowerShell tutorial. Hoping to complete in the
    > coming months or years.
    >
    > comment & feedback welcome, esp if you are a Windows expert and answer
    > some of my unanswered questions on the page.
    >
    > Xah
    > ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    >
    > ☄

    You just discovered PCs are cheaper?

    The funny thing is that that is Microsoft's answer to the Apple Mac-PC
    ads, they show people shopping for computers and just comparing hardware
    and price as if this is some kind of breakthrough. But I understand:
    they have no answer to Windows being such a nightmare and the Mac being
    such a joy.

    kt

    Kenneth Tilton, Jul 8, 2009

  3. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Kenneth Tilton wrote:
    > You just discovered PCs are cheaper?
    >
    > The funny thing is that that is Microsoft's answer to the Apple Mac-PC
    > ads, they show people shopping for computers and just comparing hardware
    > and price as if this is some kind of breakthrough. But I understand:
    > they have no answer to Windows being such a nightmare and the Mac being
    > such a joy.

    well, i've been owning Macs for over the past 19 years. From a
    dedicated fan thru-out the 1990s, to still fan in early of 2000s with
    debut of OS X.

    Mac prices in comparison to PC has gone up and downs. In the early
    1990s for example, it is maybe 4 times more. Lowest is probably in the
    mid 1990s, where 3rd party companies are licensed to producing clones,
    and that happens to also be a period that Mac OS is the worst,
    crashing few times per day, similar to Win 95 and 98. I think in the
    early 2000s the price gap came closer, and since maybe 2005 it start
    to increase again.

    for someone like me, i've read all the pros and cons of Mac vs PC.
    I've read, for instance, basically all MacWorld and MacUser mags in
    the early 1990s until they become defunct. (and often MacWeek too) Not
    to mention the huge amount of websites, especially in the late 1990s
    where there are a number of high profile dedicated mac fan sites. I
    also have often attended the yearly Mac World Expo, eagerly antipating
    Steve Job's “O, one more thing...†etc... and etc and etc.As a
    hyperbole, i've prob read more Mac vs PC argument from newsgroup users
    combined. LOL

    as to the price comparison... a better metric is value/price ratio. I
    think, over the past 20 years, the value/price ratio of Mac compared
    to PC, namely:

    (MacValue/MacPrice)/(PC_value/PC_price)

    is going down, starting with Windows NT 4, and going downhill quickly
    with Windows XP, and Vista, .NET.

    as far as SOFTWARE technology goes, Apple's falling lamer and lamer
    from its 1990s mountain top of lisps and hypercards and desktop
    publishing stuff. Microsoft Windows, starting from MS-DOS moronicity,
    today, with its .NET, F#, PowerShell, is quite beyond Apple's
    perpetual diddling with its prettification of OS X.

    Xah
    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄

    Xah Lee, Jul 8, 2009