OT: URL with a predictably long load time?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Terry Pinnell, Mar 27, 2011.

  1. This is probably OT here but I'm unsure where best to enquire, so ...

    I'm testing a macro that I sometimes run when I open a page in Firefox.
    Its purpose is to determine whether the page has fully loaded before
    further macro commands are run to do other stuff. (If I try to run those
    *before* the page is loaded, unpredictable chaos can occur.)

    So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,
    so that I can see what's going on at various points in my macro. Can
    anyone suggest one please? I probably have one amongst my thousands of
    bookmarks but so far haven't located it.

    --------------------

    For the curious, my simple macro for accomplishing this was working fine
    until yesterday, when I upgraded to Firefox version 4.0. The familiar red
    'X' icon at the top left of its window changed when a page was loading,
    providing a way to test a single pixel's colour at a fixed place within
    the FF window. But this has been replaced by a sort of spinning wheel,
    which is proving trickier.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
     
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 27, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Stanimir Stamenkov, Mar 27, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Terry Pinnell

    dorayme Guest

    dorayme, Mar 27, 2011
    #3
  4. Re: URL with a predictably long load time?

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to
    > load, so that I can see what's going on at various points in my
    > macro.


    To get _predictably_ long load time, it's probably best to create a simple
    server-side script that generates a trivial HTML document, e.g. the same
    line repeated, so that the number of lines is an input parameter. With a few
    simple tests, you can then probably select a suitable parameter value for
    your purposes.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
     
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 27, 2011
    #4
  5. dorayme <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    >> I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more)

    >
    >Try this one for "or more" - like maybe ten years:
    >
    ><http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-rosebery-4051
    >19197>


    Stanimir, dorayme: Thanks both, but those took only a couple of seconds
    here!

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
     
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 27, 2011
    #5
  6. Re: URL with a predictably long load time?

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to
    >> load, so that I can see what's going on at various points in my
    >> macro.

    >
    >To get _predictably_ long load time, it's probably best to create a simple
    >server-side script that generates a trivial HTML document, e.g. the same
    >line repeated, so that the number of lines is an input parameter. With a few
    >simple tests, you can then probably select a suitable parameter value for
    >your purposes.


    Thanks Jukka, but although I have done a little HTML coding a few years
    ago, I'm a real novice. I wouldn't recognise a 'server-side script' if one
    jumped out and bit me! Maybe you could get me started please? But I expect
    I may then have trouble hosting it within my very limited free web space.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
     
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 27, 2011
    #6
  7. On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:15:36 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    > So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,


    Not large -- just text and s l o w . . . .

    http://www.jonz.net/fortune/index.php

    HTH
    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    38.24N 104.55W | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
    * Killfiling google & XXXXbanter.com: jonz.net/ng.htm
     
    Allodoxaphobia, Mar 27, 2011
    #7
  8. Terry Pinnell

    P E Schoen Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
    news:...

    > So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more)
    > to load,


    I have a simple demo that calls a PHP script that generates an HTML page
    after a 5 second delay (which can be changed in the script, and could be
    made adjustable by means of a CGI variable). Here is the link.
    http://www.pauleschoen.com/bgf/BGFemailDemo.htm

    Just click on the button and it should take a little more than 5 seconds to
    load a dynamically generated page of emails.

    If you would like a longer time, or if you would like the script, please
    send me an email. I could also easily add a field in the form for the number
    of seconds to wait.

    Paul
     
    P E Schoen, Mar 27, 2011
    #8
  9. Re: URL with a predictably long load time?

    In article <>,
    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >"Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >>> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to
    >>> load, so that I can see what's going on at various points in my
    >>> macro.

    >>
    >>To get _predictably_ long load time, it's probably best to create a simple
    >>server-side script that generates a trivial HTML document,


    Here's a quick-n-dirty one: http://www.efalk.org/cgi-bin/foo.cgi

    --
    -Ed Falk,
    http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
     
    Edward A. Falk, Mar 27, 2011
    #9
  10. Terry Pinnell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Mar 27, 6:49 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >  Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    > > I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more)

    >
    > Try this one for "or more" - like maybe ten years:
    >
    > <http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-rosebery-4051
    > 19197>


    When I go to the page, some information about the real estate company
    comes up very fast, but the page is still loading. After 16 seconds I
    get the message "The page you requested does not exist, or is
    currently unavailable." Most likely the offering is no longer
    available and has been pulled. If the page were still available, I can
    believe that loading time could be much longer. Many real estate pages
    in the US are huge and contain many videos, high resolution photos,
    etc. that can cause load time to be very excessive unless they are
    constructed such that not everything downloads at once. Proper use of
    server side script such as php can download selected media without
    download everything else at once when a button is selected to get a
    specific view.
     
    cwdjrxyz, Mar 27, 2011
    #10
  11. Re: URL with a predictably long load time?

    (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >>"Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to
    >>>> load, so that I can see what's going on at various points in my
    >>>> macro.
    >>>
    >>>To get _predictably_ long load time, it's probably best to create a simple
    >>>server-side script that generates a trivial HTML document,

    >
    >Here's a quick-n-dirty one: http://www.efalk.org/cgi-bin/foo.cgi


    That's more like it, thanks Ed! I could have almost made a coffee while
    that one loaded.

    P.S: I think your 'foo' should be something like 'fum'. Next verse:
    'I smell the blood of an Englishman.'

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
     
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 27, 2011
    #11
  12. Allodoxaphobia <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:15:36 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,

    >
    >Not large -- just text and s l o w . . . .
    >
    > http://www.jonz.net/fortune/index.php
    >
    >HTH
    >Jonesy


    Nice one, thank you. Now, I wonder if it's finished loading...?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
     
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 27, 2011
    #12
  13. "P E Schoen" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
    >news:...
    >
    >> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more)
    >> to load,

    >
    >I have a simple demo that calls a PHP script that generates an HTML page
    >after a 5 second delay (which can be changed in the script, and could be
    >made adjustable by means of a CGI variable). Here is the link.
    >http://www.pauleschoen.com/bgf/BGFemailDemo.htm
    >
    >Just click on the button and it should take a little more than 5 seconds to
    >load a dynamically generated page of emails.
    >
    >If you would like a longer time, or if you would like the script, please
    >send me an email. I could also easily add a field in the form for the number
    >of seconds to wait.
    >
    >Paul


    Just about the ideal delay, thanks Paul.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
     
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 27, 2011
    #13
  14. On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:58:33 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia <> wrote:
    >>On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:15:36 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,

    >>
    >>Not large -- just text and s l o w . . . .
    >>
    >> http://www.jonz.net/fortune/index.php

    >
    > Nice one, thank you. Now, I wonder if it's finished loading...?


    Eventually. :)
    Thanks for the kind words.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    38.24N 104.55W | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
    * Killfiling google & XXXXbanter.com: jonz.net/ng.htm
     
    Allodoxaphobia, Mar 28, 2011
    #14
  15. On Mar 27, 12:15 pm, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    > This is probably OT here but I'm unsure where best to enquire, so ...
    >
    > I'm testing a macro that I sometimes run when I open a page in Firefox.
    > Its purpose is to determine whether the page has fully loaded before
    > further macro commands are run to do other stuff. (If I try to run those
    > *before* the page is loaded, unpredictable chaos can occur.)
    >
    > So I need a page that will take a longish time 5-10 secs or more) to load,
    > so that I can see what's going on at various points in my macro. Can
    > anyone suggest one please? I probably have one amongst my thousands of
    > bookmarks but so far haven't located it.
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    > For the curious, my simple macro for accomplishing this was working fine
    > until yesterday, when I upgraded to Firefox version 4.0. The familiar red
    > 'X' icon at the top left of its window changed when a page was loading,
    > providing a way to test a single pixel's colour at a fixed place within
    > the FF window. But this has been replaced by a sort of spinning wheel,
    > which is proving trickier.
    >
    > --
    > Terry, East Grinstead, UK


    Take a look at Fiddler. You can use this to intercept the http traffic
    and hold on to it for as long as you like before releasing it back to
    the browser.
     
    Captain Paralytic, Mar 30, 2011
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mad Scientist Jr
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,172
    Emma Gumbdough
    Jun 30, 2004
  2. roni
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    650
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlsb3N6IFNrYWxlY2tp?=
    Aug 30, 2005
  3. Carsten Fuchs
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    502
    Carsten Fuchs
    Jul 8, 2008
  4. Brad
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    360
  5. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    86
    Joel VanderWerf
    Mar 19, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page