OT:Visual Studio C++ 6.0 Compiler Questions

Rick N. Backer

I am trying to find out if the Visual C++ 6.0 compiler is supposed to
support the 'export' keyword role that allows splitting template
classes into two separate files for the declaration and definition,
the traditional .h & .cpp.

I have attempted this with the copy I currently have installed and it
appears it doesn't comply. I can still do it as a single file but
would like to make sure that I'm not missing something which might
indicate an improper setting on the compiler.

Thanks
Ken Wilson
"Just because people don't understand you doesn't mean
you are an artist"

Thomas Tutone

Rick N. Backer said:
I am trying to find out if the Visual C++ 6.0 compiler is supposed to
support the 'export' keyword role that allows splitting template
classes into two separate files for the declaration and definition,
the traditional .h & .cpp.

No, it doesn't. Nor does any Microsoft compiler, to my knowledge. The
only compilers that support export are those that use the EDG back-end,
such as Comeau.

Best regards,

Tom

red floyd

Rick said:
I am trying to find out if the Visual C++ 6.0 compiler is supposed to
support the 'export' keyword role that allows splitting template
classes into two separate files for the declaration and definition,
the traditional .h & .cpp.

As other people have said, no. In addition, VC6 doesn't support a hell
of a lot of the standard. VC.NET2K3 is fairly standards compliant
(except for export).