[OT] Visual Studio Template files missing?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob, Jul 29, 2007.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Hi all,

    My apologies for the OT-ness of this post but I kinda guessed that a
    lot of people here would be using the above product for development
    and hoped for a prompt response.

    Here's the thing...I've using Visual Studio 2005 at home which I also
    use at work, at work when I choose to Add New Item I get a "good
    selection" - including "class" - but at home - I only have 6 options,
    one of them is an .xml file and there's a couple of others, but far
    fewer than at work and also no "class" option - imagine my delight!

    I have checked my install options and I've got everything I need
    ticked, but I haven't selected the languages J#, C++ etc, just
    vb.net...

    Can anyone advise please? I did also click on the link "Check online
    for more templates" but it took me to a search site which when I
    entered "vb class template" I got all manner of results.

    Any information would be really appreciated.

    Thanks in advance for your time.

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob, Jul 29, 2007

  2. Rob

    Masudur Guest

    Re: Visual Studio Template files missing?

    On Jul 30, 2:54 am, Rob <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My apologies for the OT-ness of this post but I kinda guessed that a
    > lot of people here would be using the above product for development
    > and hoped for a prompt response.
    >
    > Here's the thing...I've using Visual Studio 2005 at home which I also
    > use at work, at work when I choose to Add New Item I get a "good
    > selection" - including "class" - but at home - I only have 6 options,
    > one of them is an .xml file and there's a couple of others, but far
    > fewer than at work and also no "class" option - imagine my delight!
    >
    > I have checked my install options and I've got everything I need
    > ticked, but I haven't selected the languages J#, C++ etc, just
    > vb.net...
    >
    > Can anyone advise please? I did also click on the link "Check online
    > for more templates" but it took me to a search site which when I
    > entered "vb class template" I got all manner of results.
    >
    > Any information would be really appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your time.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob

    HI...

    refresh your IDE templates by using
    "devenv /installvstemplates" command...
    for this open the Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt.. and run the
    command
    for more info check out
    http://munnacs.110mb.com/?p=17

    Thanks
    Md. Masudur Rahman (Munna)
    Kaz Software Ltd.
    www.kaz.com.bd
    http://munnacs.110mb.com
    Masudur, Jul 30, 2007

  3. Rob

    Rob Meade Guest

    Re: Visual Studio Template files missing?

    "Masudur" wrote ...

    > refresh your IDE templates by using
    > "devenv /installvstemplates" command...
    > for this open the Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt.. and run the
    > command
    > for more info check out
    > http://munnacs.110mb.com/?p=17

    Hi Masudur,

    Thank you for your reply.

    I feel a bit dim now to be honest - it turned out to be something a bit
    different...for some reason at home the new project created by default an
    "App_data" directory, I was right-clicking on this and choosing new item
    assuming this is where VS would be telling me to stick my classes...when I
    right-clicked on the solution and did this ALL of the template items
    appeared, it then subsquently told me to place them in the "App_code"
    directory...which it created for me...

    Interestingly though, a quirk of VS no doubt, if I right-click on the
    "App_Code" directory I have the same problem, so I either have to see the
    annoying popup each time, or mark it to not tell me, create my class files
    and always "move" them into the right place - shame I cant just right-click
    and choose new item "class" etc...

    Oh well - got there in a round-a-bout way...

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Jul 30, 2007