OT: (Web-based) Document Management Systems

CJM

** Apologies for the cross-posting; I thought it better than multi-posting 3
differing msgs to 3 NGs.

We're introducing a new project management method in our IT team. We've been
doing things kind of casually so far but now we are trying to smarten up a
little.

As part of the process, we'll be generating paperwork, and at the moment
these documents will be stored in a shared server location. However, since
we are operating across 6 sites, we dont have any mechanism for
controlling/storing signed copies.

I'm now searching for some lower-range document management/project
management systems, that can handle the
storage/retrieval/approval/versioning of documents. We would need to
accommodate say 10 concurrent users.

An Open Source/free ASP/SQL Server solution would be ideal, but I dont know
of any... But an off-the-shelf solution would also be fine. Web-based would
be preferred.

We dont have the resources to develop a full version of our own, nor do we
have the need/budget to buy one of the top-end enterprise-level applications
that are out there...

The Project & Sourcesafe NGs are included because a) we use Project and an
application that integrates with it would be great, b) although getting a
bit worn around the edges and not being specifically designed for it, it has
many of the attributes we would look for - eg document histories, recording
changes and who made them etc..

Cheers

CJM

Gary Chefetz [MVP]

Are you introducting Project Server? I suggest you deploy the 2003 version
as soon as it's available and use the document management capabilities in
the new SharePoint.

--
Gary Chefetz [MVP]
http://www.msprojectexperts.com

*** Remember to look for line breaks in links posted to the news group, use
cut and paste for these.