    The Open University: Design And The Web looks good but it has started now.

    Cheers,

    Bob.

    Bob, Jul 6, 2008

  2. Bob

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 6 Jul, 17:06, "Bob" <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know any good web design courses in the UK?

    No. None. Nada.

    > The Open University: Design And The Web looks good but it has started now.

    Friend of mine did the OU stuff a couple of years ago, and at the time
    it was the _most_ obsolete use of poor techniques that I'd seen in 10
    years. "College" courses tend to be some of the worst, but this was
    truly awful.

    The only recommendations I'd really stand behind are a few books
    (best) and a few web resources (pretty poor). Search c.i.w.a.h for the
    regular posting of them.

    Andy Dingley, Jul 7, 2008

  3. On Jul 6, 12:06 pm, "Bob" <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know any good web design courses in the UK?

    First, No, I have no idea about a good web design course in the UK, so
    lets change the subject to Flash..... (geeze people it was a joke)

    Why do you want a course? So it can go on your resume? Or because you
    want to learn? If the reason is because you want to learn, then you
    are at the right place in Usenet. Read through some old post, you
    will soon be able to figure out who the people in the know are. Ask
    questions, listen, learn, and use some common sense.

    There are a bunch of sources for information on the web. I like
    http://www.w3schools.com/ when looking for quick answers, but I have
    heard others say it sucks.

    Oh, most of all, create a website, ask for a review, listen, then make
    it again, and again and again. The best way to become proficient at
    HTML/CSS is to just do it. And do it a lot. Then do it some more.

    Kind of like we are all experts at masturbation (and don't believe
    women are not experts too), same principal. Practice makes perfect!

    Travis Newbury, Jul 7, 2008
  4. Bob

    viza Guest

    Hi

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 02:42:26 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On 6 Jul, 17:06, "Bob" <> wrote:

    >> Does anyone know any good web design courses in the UK?
    >> The Open University: Design And The Web looks good but it has started
    >> now.

    > Friend of mine did the OU stuff a couple of years ago, and at the time
    > it was the _most_ obsolete use of poor techniques that I'd seen in 10
    > years. "College" courses tend to be some of the worst, but this was
    > truly awful.

    The problem is that html is so simple on the surface that anyone thinks
    that they can teach it. I was made to take a course as an undergraduate
    and it was clear that the postgraduate who marked it didn't really have
    much of a clue as to what was good or not*. The problem is that in
    higher education there is generally no one to check up on this sort of
    thing.

    Similarly, I have read a couple of books on html and looking back neither
    of them was worth recommending.

    I do recommend that you go to the source and read the specs cover-to-
    cover at least once: http://w3.org/TR/

    (*) I had a very big strop about only just getting a first for the module
    (seventy-something %), but let it go when a Matlab assignment that I
    thought was only borderline 1st got 96%. You win some-you loose some.

    viza

    viza, Jul 7, 2008
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > Oh, most of all, create a website, ask for a review,

    What could I build a web site about?

    Cheers,

    Bob.

    Bob, Jul 7, 2008
  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > why
    > are you interested in building a web site to begin with?

    To improve my HTML and CSS and design skills.

    Bob.

    Bob, Jul 7, 2008
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > Obviously, but to what end? Skills don't exist in a vacuum - one
    > learns them in order to use them. What do you want to use these
    > improved skills *for*?

    To put in a portfolio. The problem is I need a good subject which will give
    me lots of scope for the design of the site.

    Bob.

    Bob, Jul 7, 2008
  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > Honestly though, don't you have *anything* to write about? Politics,
    > religion, your hobby, your family, your pets... It's a rare person who
    > has absolutely nothing to say about anything. :)

    Or perhaps I could upgrade the look of a current web site on the web? Any
    suggestions?

    Cheers,

    Bob.

    Bob, Jul 8, 2008