OT - web design courses in the UK?

Bob

Does anyone know any good web design courses in the UK?

The Open University: Design And The Web looks good but it has started now.

Cheers,

Bob.

Andy Dingley

Does anyone know any good web design courses in the UK?

No. None. Nada.
The Open University: Design And The Web looks good but it has started now.

Friend of mine did the OU stuff a couple of years ago, and at the time
it was the _most_ obsolete use of poor techniques that I'd seen in 10
years. "College" courses tend to be some of the worst, but this was
truly awful.

The only recommendations I'd really stand behind are a few books
(best) and a few web resources (pretty poor). Search c.i.w.a.h for the
regular posting of them.

Travis Newbury

Does anyone know any good web design courses in the UK?

First, No, I have no idea about a good web design course in the UK, so
lets change the subject to Flash..... (geeze people it was a joke)

Why do you want a course? So it can go on your resume? Or because you
want to learn? If the reason is because you want to learn, then you
are at the right place in Usenet. Read through some old post, you
will soon be able to figure out who the people in the know are. Ask
questions, listen, learn, and use some common sense.

There are a bunch of sources for information on the web. I like
http://www.w3schools.com/ when looking for quick answers, but I have
heard others say it sucks.

Oh, most of all, create a website, ask for a review, listen, then make
it again, and again and again. The best way to become proficient at
HTML/CSS is to just do it. And do it a lot. Then do it some more.

Kind of like we are all experts at masturbation (and don't believe
women are not experts too), same principal. Practice makes perfect!

viza

Hi

Friend of mine did the OU stuff a couple of years ago, and at the time
it was the _most_ obsolete use of poor techniques that I'd seen in 10
years. "College" courses tend to be some of the worst, but this was
truly awful.

The problem is that html is so simple on the surface that anyone thinks
that they can teach it. I was made to take a course as an undergraduate
and it was clear that the postgraduate who marked it didn't really have
much of a clue as to what was good or not*. The problem is that in
higher education there is generally no one to check up on this sort of
thing.

Similarly, I have read a couple of books on html and looking back neither
of them was worth recommending.

I do recommend that you go to the source and read the specs cover-to-
cover at least once: http://w3.org/TR/

(*) I had a very big strop about only just getting a first for the module
(seventy-something %), but let it go when a Matlab assignment that I
thought was only borderline 1st got 96%. You win some-you loose some.

viza

Bob

Oh, most of all, create a website, ask for a review,

What could I build a web site about?

Cheers,

Bob.

Bob

Obviously, but to what end? Skills don't exist in a vacuum - one
learns them in order to use them. What do you want to use these
improved skills *for*?

To put in a portfolio. The problem is I need a good subject which will give
me lots of scope for the design of the site.

Bob.

Bob

Honestly though, don't you have *anything* to write about? Politics,
religion, your hobby, your family, your pets... It's a rare person who
has absolutely nothing to say about anything. :)

Or perhaps I could upgrade the look of a current web site on the web? Any
suggestions?

Cheers,

Bob.