OT: Web Hosting Options

rowe_newsgroups

I'm looking to start a personal ASP.NET website and was hoping for
some advice from the pros about my hosting options. All my previous
projects have been on existing company web servers, so I've never had
to deal with hosting issues before. Basically, I have two questions:

1) What web hosting services do you recommend? I would like to have
AJAX support and SQL Server support for authentication and
authorization. Also, as this is just for a personal site the cheaper
the better.

2) What would I need to host the site myself? I'm assuming I would
need a server (duh) and a registered domain name, but what else would
I need to do to get it live?

Thanks for your time and opinions!

Thanks,

Seth Rowe

Mark Rae [MVP]

1) What web hosting services do you recommend? I would like to have
AJAX support and SQL Server support for authentication and
authorization. Also, as this is just for a personal site the cheaper
the better.

I use these guys: http://www.hostinguk.net

Remember, though, that "cheap" and "good" are pretty much mutually exclusive
when it comes to this - you most certainly (don't) get what you (don't) pay
for...

But whichever ISP you choose, keep well away from GoDaddy...
2) What would I need to host the site myself? I'm assuming I would
need a server (duh) and a registered domain name, but what else would
I need to do to get it live?

A very fast and permanent Internet connection, a fixed IP address, and an
ISP who is willing to let you do this - most don't...

sloan

I've been using dotnetpark for a non critical site. But haven't had any
issues, and pricing is nice. I think its about $40/6months.

rowe_newsgroups

I use these guys:http://www.hostinguk.net

Remember, though, that "cheap" and "good" are pretty much mutually exclusive
when it comes to this - you most certainly (don't) get what you (don't) pay
for...

But whichever ISP you choose, keep well away from GoDaddy...

A very fast and permanent Internet connection, a fixed IP address, and an
ISP who is willing to let you do this - most don't...

Thanks Mark for your input. Can't say I thought about my ISP not
allowing me to host the site. It appears they do have an subscription
option that will allow this, but the increase in monthly fee would
easily exceed the hosting costs.

Thanks,

Seth Rowe

rowe_newsgroups

I've been using dotnetpark for a non critical site. But haven't had any
issues, and pricing is nice. I think its about $40/6months.

That looks like a great option, the price especially looks nice! I'll
check into them further.

Thanks,

Seth Rowe