    Thanks for your time and opinions!

    Thanks,

    Seth Rowe
    rowe_newsgroups, Oct 17, 2007

  2. Re: Web Hosting Options

    "rowe_newsgroups" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > 1) What web hosting services do you recommend? I would like to have
    > AJAX support and SQL Server support for authentication and
    > authorization. Also, as this is just for a personal site the cheaper
    > the better.

    I use these guys: http://www.hostinguk.net

    Remember, though, that "cheap" and "good" are pretty much mutually exclusive
    when it comes to this - you most certainly (don't) get what you (don't) pay
    for...

    But whichever ISP you choose, keep well away from GoDaddy...

    > 2) What would I need to host the site myself? I'm assuming I would
    > need a server (duh) and a registered domain name, but what else would
    > I need to do to get it live?

    A very fast and permanent Internet connection, a fixed IP address, and an
    ISP who is willing to let you do this - most don't...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 17, 2007

  3. rowe_newsgroups

    sloan Guest

    Re: Web Hosting Options

    I've been using dotnetpark for a non critical site. But haven't had any
    issues, and pricing is nice. I think its about $40/6months.

    sloan, Oct 17, 2007
  4. Re: Web Hosting Options

    On Oct 17, 9:39 am, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > "rowe_newsgroups" <> wrote in message

    > > 1) What web hosting services do you recommend? I would like to have
    > > AJAX support and SQL Server support for authentication and
    > > authorization. Also, as this is just for a personal site the cheaper
    > > the better.

    > I use these guys:http://www.hostinguk.net
    >
    > Remember, though, that "cheap" and "good" are pretty much mutually exclusive
    > when it comes to this - you most certainly (don't) get what you (don't) pay
    > for...
    >
    > But whichever ISP you choose, keep well away from GoDaddy...
    >
    > > 2) What would I need to host the site myself? I'm assuming I would
    > > need a server (duh) and a registered domain name, but what else would
    > > I need to do to get it live?

    > A very fast and permanent Internet connection, a fixed IP address, and an
    > ISP who is willing to let you do this - most don't...
    >
    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

    Thanks Mark for your input. Can't say I thought about my ISP not
    option that will allow this, but the increase in monthly fee would
    easily exceed the hosting costs.

    Thanks,

    Seth Rowe
    rowe_newsgroups, Oct 17, 2007
  5. Re: Web Hosting Options

    On Oct 17, 10:04 am, "sloan" <> wrote:
    > I've been using dotnetpark for a non critical site. But haven't had any
    > issues, and pricing is nice. I think its about $40/6months.
    >
    > "rowe_newsgroups" <> wrote in message

    > > I'm looking to start a personal ASP.NET website and was hoping for
    > > some advice from the pros about my hosting options. All my previous
    > > projects have been on existing company web servers, so I've never had
    > > to deal with hosting issues before. Basically, I have two questions:

    > > 1) What web hosting services do you recommend? I would like to have
    > > AJAX support and SQL Server support for authentication and
    > > authorization. Also, as this is just for a personal site the cheaper
    > > the better.

    > > 2) What would I need to host the site myself? I'm assuming I would
    > > need a server (duh) and a registered domain name, but what else would
    > > I need to do to get it live?

    > > Thanks for your time and opinions!

    > > Thanks,

    > > Seth Rowe

    That looks like a great option, the price especially looks nice! I'll
    check into them further.

    Thanks,

    Seth Rowe
    rowe_newsgroups, Oct 17, 2007
  6. rowe_newsgroups

    Ian Semmel Guest

    Re: Web Hosting Options

    Go to VistaInter.com http://www.vistainter.com/ where they have reviews
    of hundreds of web hosts.

    Unfortunately, I didn't discover this site until after I had signed up
    and found out I had picked a lemon.

    Ian Semmel, Oct 17, 2007