OT - What do you think

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mitja, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Mitja

    Mitja Guest

    MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk <>
    (news:vKfLc.214$) wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I posted a question yesterday and had a lot of people
    > comment on the colour scheme of the site.
    >
    > I have been playing around today. I have changed the
    > colours on the left hand side of the page to something I
    > think looks a little better than the blue and white.

    But... you left the normal text in that illegible blue. Yes, I think the yellow shades are adefinite improvement. I'd try using them
    some more, maybe even for normal text. And I'd probably lose the grey for a:hover and replace it with the relatively dark blue
    you've got for text right now.

    Mitja, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Mitja

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 20/7/04 10:01 pm, MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I posted a question yesterday and had a lot of people comment on the colour
    > scheme of the site.
    >
    > I have been playing around today. I have changed the colours on the left
    > hand side of the page to something I think looks a little better than the
    > blue and white.
    >
    > Just wondering what people think and if anyone has any better suggestions.

    From your CSS file: td { font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 10px; color: #8792BD }
    Don't specify font sizes in points. On some browsers it will be impossible
    to resize the text. At 100 dpi, 10px is way to small for most people to read
    comfortably. Anyway, why do you need to specify font sizes? I've set my
    browser preferences to a size that works best well for me, so leave it
    alone!

    If you want a 3-column layout, get rid of that empty space at the left. And
    don't try to squeeze 90% of your content into the right hand column. A lot
    of visitors will never see it unless they scroll across.

    Put in some meaningful headings, and try organizing your content better -- I
    don't think arranging things in chronological order is a very good idea.

    Your HTML is truly ugly. Look at this for example:
    size="1">t
    Did you *intentionally* close the tags before the final "t" of "support"?

    What is the significance of the giant "h" at the top left?

    Get rid of the hit counter. It's broken anyway.

    Get rid of the mailto: link, unless you like spam. Use a feedback form
    instead.

    .... I could go on, but I have other things to do.

    Phil

    --
    Philip Ronan

    MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Mitja

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <4ChLc.295$>,
    says...
    > > > Hi,

    <BIG SNIP>
    > Have made some changes.
    > Do you think that it looks better now??
    > http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk

    Did you have to quote the entire message to add these 3 lines?

    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com
    Webcastmaker, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Mitja

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 21/7/04 12:08 am, MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk wrote:

    > Have made some changes.
    > Do you think that it looks better now??
    > http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk

    That's a little better, but still some major flaws. You're using a strange
    mixture of HTML formatting and CSS formatting. For example, the links in the
    top of the page don't change colour any more when I move the mouse over
    them. That's because you've wrapped them inside <font size="1"
    color="#FFFFCC">...</font> tags.

    But really I think you should go back to basics here. Sort your freebies
    into different categories (e.g., "Health & Fitness", "Entertainment",
    "Holidays", etc..) and provide a separate page for each. On the home page,
    just list the most recent items for each category, with a link to the
    relevant page.

    Use a different colour scheme. Those muted shades of blue look a bit sad to
    me. If I was advertising free stuff I'd go for something a bit louder and
    more fun. Lots of primary colours perhaps? At the moment it looks like an
    airport arrivals board. Very un-exciting.

    Look for some other websites in this category and see how they are
    organized.

    Phil

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Mitja

    Sam Hughes Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:01:15 GMT, MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk
    <> wrote:

    > Just wondering what people think and if anyone has any better
    > suggestions.
    >
    > Link is http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk

    Your page took up a fixed width of space, and that width was wider than my
    browser window. I'm using a 1024-pixel wide monitor. Such an incident
    was not a bad thing, though, because the page was divided into three
    columns. (I didn't have to scroll left and right all the time to read.)

    In Opera 7.53 anyway, the font seems just barely readable. Easily
    readable for me, in fact, but if it were but one pixel shorter...

    In your paragraph in the middle column, that begins with "Media Transfer,"
    your link and text colors are switched around. That is annoying (and not
    at all visually attractive).

    Choose one link color and stick to it.

    --
    Sam Hughes
    Sam Hughes, Jul 20, 2004

    MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk, Jul 21, 2004
  8. "Philip Ronan" <> wrote in message
    > On 21/7/04 12:08 am, MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > > Have made some changes.
    > > Do you think that it looks better now??
    > > http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk
    > >

    > That's a little better, but still some major flaws. You're using a strange
    > mixture of HTML formatting and CSS formatting. For example, the links in

    the
    > top of the page don't change colour any more when I move the mouse over
    > them. That's because you've wrapped them inside <font size="1"
    > color="#FFFFCC">...</font> tags.
    >
    > But really I think you should go back to basics here. Sort your freebies
    > into different categories (e.g., "Health & Fitness", "Entertainment",
    > "Holidays", etc..) and provide a separate page for each. On the home page,
    > just list the most recent items for each category, with a link to the
    > relevant page.
    >
    > Use a different colour scheme. Those muted shades of blue look a bit sad

    > me. If I was advertising free stuff I'd go for something a bit louder and
    > more fun. Lots of primary colours perhaps? At the moment it looks like an
    > airport arrivals board. Very un-exciting.
    >
    > Look for some other websites in this category and see how they are
    > organized.
    >
    > Phil
    >
    > --
    > Philip Ronan
    >
    > (Please remove the "z"s if replying by email)

    Cheers for the help.
    MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk, Jul 21, 2004
  9. Mitja

    Dave Patton Guest

    "MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I posted a question yesterday and had a lot of people comment on the
    > colour scheme of the site.

    > Link is http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk

    When providing links such as this, you should include
    the trailing / so it would be:
    http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/
    or specify the full URL:
    http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/index.html

    As for the colors - who cares, when the page design
    requires horizontal scrolling, particularly when some
    of the content is off the right side of the browser
    viewport. Fix the important issue first, then you
    can "play" with the unimportant things like colors.

    P.S.
    I think the colors are terrible, not to mention
    that you are making links not appear to be links,
    which is a bad decision.

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Jul 21, 2004
  10. Mitja

    rf Guest

    MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk

    > > When providing links such as this, you should include
    > > the trailing / so it would be:
    > > http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/
    > > or specify the full URL:
    > > http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/index.html

    Why? Other than the fact that it saves a trip to the server that is?

    > > As for the colors - who cares, when the page design
    > > requires horizontal scrolling, particularly when some
    > > of the content is off the right side of the browser
    > > viewport. Fix the important issue first, then you
    > > can "play" with the unimportant things like colors.

    > Does the page require scrolling? On my PC and all the other PC's I have
    > accessed the page - I have not required to scroll left and right. By

    taking
    > the "Hi" out on the left hand side, surely this has taken away that

    problem
    > anyway.

    The classic "it works on my computer" excuse.

    Hint: Perhaps Daves screen is only 800 pixles wide. There are hundreds of
    millions of these out there and your site does not fit on them without
    horizontal scrolling.

    > If you do need to scroll - is there anyway I can fix this without taking
    > content of the page??

    Fix the design. Make it fluid so the width of the canvas does not matter.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 21, 2004
  11. Quoth the raven MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk:

    > How am I making links not look like links.

    I see yellow text that is sometimes a link and sometimes not. I also
    see white text that is a link. All of the text - links and content -
    is too small for me to read (and my eyes are good).

    > I think here if you were a new visitor to the site then you
    > wouldn't have much problems finding what you came for.

    If I could read it, and not need to scroll horizontally, maybe.

    Your light blue on dark blue is a poor choice of colour combination.

    > Does the page require scrolling? On my PC and all the other PC's I
    > have accessed the page - I have not required to scroll left and
    > right. By taking the "Hi" out on the left hand side, surely this
    > has taken away that problem anyway.

    On my 800px monitor, the third column is off-screen, even when my
    browser is maximized. I would guess your monitor is set at 1024px.

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    > If you do need to scroll - is there anyway I can fix this without
    > taking content of the page??

    Try two-column layout, larger font, and more pages. Dump the <font>
    stuff and use CSS. Specify content font as 100%.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 21, 2004

  12. >
    > When providing links such as this, you should include
    > the trailing / so it would be:
    > http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/
    > or specify the full URL:
    > http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/index.html
    >
    > As for the colors - who cares, when the page design
    > requires horizontal scrolling, particularly when some
    > of the content is off the right side of the browser
    > viewport. Fix the important issue first, then you
    > can "play" with the unimportant things like colors.
    >
    > P.S.
    > I think the colors are terrible, not to mention
    > that you are making links not appear to be links,
    > which is a bad decision.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Patton
    > Canadian Coordinator, Degree Confluence Project
    > http://www.confluence.org/
    > My website: http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/

    How am I making links not look like links. I think here if you were a new
    visitor to the site then you wouldn't have much problems finding what you
    came for.

    I always wanted to put the latest freebies on the first page because people
    can come in and out of the site quickly if they need to and if they don't
    then there is still a site for them to browse around. I am adding pages all
    the time.

    MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk, Jul 21, 2004
  13. Mitja

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/links.html

    > Does the page require scrolling? On my PC and all the other PC's I
    > have accessed the page - I have not required to scroll left and right.

    Then you haven't been testing properly.
    On your own PC, simply 'Restore Down' your browser, then play
    with various widths(and heights) - while there is always
    going to be a minimum width and height beyond which a webpage
    will have to require scrolling, you cannot know what size a
    visitor's browser viewport will be(even if you think you know
    their screen resolution), so you should be using "fluid" design.

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Jul 21, 2004
  14. Mitja

    Dave Patton Guest

    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in news:M_tLc.10178$K53.4116@news-
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    http://www.nicemice.net/amc/soapbox/directory-URLs.var
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slashforward/
    http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol4/load_no11.htm

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Jul 21, 2004
  15. Mitja

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 21/7/04 5:32 pm, Dave Patton wrote:

    > "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in news:M_tLc.10178$K53.4116@news-
    > server.bigpond.net.au:

    >> Why? Other than the fact that it saves a trip to the server that is?

    > http://www.nicemice.net/amc/soapbox/directory-URLs.var
    > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slashforward/
    > http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol4/load_no11.htm

    Also, the sky will fall on our heads, and there will be plagues of frogs,
    locusts and other life forms to contend with.

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Jul 21, 2004
  16. MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk, Jul 22, 2004
  17. Mitja

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Philip Ronan <> wrote in message news:<BD2341B1.1E49B%>...
    > On 20/7/04 10:01 pm, MagicFreebiesUK.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I posted a question yesterday and had a lot of people comment on the colour
    > > scheme of the site.
    > >
    > > I have been playing around today. I have changed the colours on the left
    > > hand side of the page to something I think looks a little better than the
    > > blue and white.
    > >
    > > Just wondering what people think and if anyone has any better suggestions.

    > From your CSS file: td { font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
    > font-size: 10px; color: #8792BD }
    > Don't specify font sizes in points.

    correction: "pixels" :)

    <snip>
    Aquila Deus, Jul 25, 2004
  18. Mitja

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Aquila Deus wrote:

    >> Don't specify font sizes in points.

    > correction: "pixels" :)

    You shouldn't be using points either unless it's purely for printing.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Playing: 'Bitches Crystal' by Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    Dylan Parry, Jul 25, 2004