    Adrienne Boswell at work
    Administrator nextBlock.com
    http://atlas.nextblock.com/files/
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 6, 2007

  2. Adrienne Boswell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 5, 6:58 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Just surfing around today and came across this gem:http://www.bluestarjets.com/
    >
    > Notice the flash thingy on top goes right and the marquee below it
    > goes left. So, I guess one would have to be cross-eyed to really
    > appreciate it.

    Well that flash thing at the top does get you attention in a hurry.
    However, at least for me, the attention it gets is negative. However I
    have seen some flash moving things on some major sites recently that
    annoy me even more. When you move the cursor close to them, they
    expand greatly to obscure much text, and start moving around. This
    sort of excess is what gives flash a bad name. Perhaps the flash
    motion on this page is about what you see if on one of the charter
    jets and hit you rough air - and then rapidly reach for the barf
    bag :).

    But there are also a few videos listed on the right side of the page.
    These are wmv videos. They vary considerably in bit rate. At least you
    have to click to start these videos.

    Things get even more strange if you look at the source code and
    validate. The W3C does not find a Doctype at the top of the page where
    it belongs. However there is an html 4 Dctype way down on line 779(as
    numbered by the W3C validator). How in the world it got there on the
    1142 lines of source code, I will never know. Then another jewel is a
    section of the code where <p>&nbsp;</p> is repeated 20 times, one line
    after the other. The validator finds over 70 errors when validated as
    html 4.01. The code seems to be the html equivalent of vegetable soup
    - all sorts of versions of html mixed.

    Surely a single person could not have written this code by hand. It
    looks as if it might have been written and modified by several people,
    perhaps over several years, and perhaps with the aid of one or more
    Microsoft or other programs for writing html.

    If the writers of this page charge by the lines of code, they likely
    would get a very nice fee for this page.
    cwdjrxyz, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Adrienne Boswell

    M Guest

    Re: What not to do in site design

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Just surfing around today and came across this gem:
    > http://www.bluestarjets.com/
    >
    > Notice the flash thingy on top goes right and the marquee below it
    > goes left. So, I guess one would have to be cross-eyed to really
    > appreciate it.

    I like the cinematic look to the Flash thingy.

    The tag line would be catchy if I knew what they meant by black. (Black =
    opposite of "in the red"?)

    The marquee though? It didn't even show up in my Firefox.

    BTW, has anyone here ever contacted a business with a poor online design and
    offered to do it better for them? Seems like a great way to drum up work.

    M, Jun 6, 2007
  4. Adrienne Boswell

    asdf Guest

    Re: What not to do in site design

    [snip]

    > BTW, has anyone here ever contacted a business with a poor online design
    > and offered to do it better for them? Seems like a great way to drum up
    > work.

    Yes. Most don't give a s**t about good design though, clients like their
    flashy rubbish and backgrounds :/ Frankly, I haven't got the time or
    inclination to educate them about simple UI design principles, accessible
    design and 'maintainability'. They simply don't care. They generally want
    something to show their boss to make them go 'ooohhh' and earn them a few
    browny points. Fair enough- it's their money. Some would even be happy with
    the animated gif of the flaming torch (remember that?) lol. At least I
    manage to talk them out of 'under construction' logos.

    The upside is, of course, that those few who say 'yes' are 'good clients'
    (as opposed to those who pay good money for your opinions, expertise and
    experience, then systematically ignore them).

    Still, apparently the client is always right, even when they are wrong. I'm
    happy to produce rubbish for them, provided they don't tell anyone I did it
    :))) In fact, if any clients are reading this, the reason your site didn't
    make it into my folio is that I produced what you wanted, rather than what
    you needed - hence bad design - QED

    Do I sound bitter? ROFL
    asdf, Jun 6, 2007
  5. Adrienne Boswell

    rf Guest

    "M" <> wrote in message

    > BTW, has anyone here ever contacted a business with a poor online design
    > and offered to do it better for them? Seems like a great way to drum up
    > work.

    I once told my favourite ski site that their new 10px mid grey on light grey
    text was hard to read. They told me how to use my accessibility options to
    ignore their font size and colours :)

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 6, 2007
  6. Adrienne Boswell

    JD Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Just surfing around today and came across this gem:
    > http://www.bluestarjets.com/
    >
    > Notice the flash thingy on top goes right and the marquee below it
    > goes left. So, I guess one would have to be cross-eyed to really
    > appreciate it.

    A good reminder of why I have Flash disabled in my main browser.

    And why did they use images for the text links in the left-hand side
    navigation? Talk about making the job harder for no appreciable benefit.
    JD, Jun 6, 2007
  7. On Jun 5, 7:58 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Just surfing around today and came across this gem:http://www.bluestarjets.com/

    I had no problem with it, and as a side note I have to thank you, I
    booked a flight for my wife and I to Orlando for our 26th anniversary.
    (As bad as the web page might be, they do offer some great prices on
    charters, and if you have never flown charter before, it is WELL worth
    the few bucks extra it costs!)
    Travis Newbury, Jun 6, 2007
  8. On Jun 6, 4:54 am, JD <> wrote:
    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > > Just surfing around today and came across this gem:
    > >http://www.bluestarjets.com/

    > > Notice the flash thingy on top goes right and the marquee below it
    > > goes left. So, I guess one would have to be cross-eyed to really
    > > appreciate it.

    > A good reminder of why I have Flash disabled in my main browser.
    >
    > And why did they use images for the text links in the left-hand side
    > navigation? Talk about making the job harder for no appreciable benefit.

    Man you all must really lead dull lives...
    Travis Newbury, Jun 6, 2007
  9. On 2007-06-06, Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Jun 6, 4:54 am, JD <> wrote:
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> > Just surfing around today and came across this gem:
    >> >http://www.bluestarjets.com/

    >> > Notice the flash thingy on top goes right and the marquee below it
    >> > goes left. So, I guess one would have to be cross-eyed to really
    >> > appreciate it.

    >> A good reminder of why I have Flash disabled in my main browser.
    >>
    >> And why did they use images for the text links in the left-hand side
    >> navigation? Talk about making the job harder for no appreciable benefit.

    > Man you all must really lead dull lives...

    And they're made duller by badly made websites such as those where
    text is in images that are too small to read.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jun 6, 2007
  10. Adrienne Boswell

    place57 Guest

    On Jun 6, 7:16 am, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    > >> A good reminder of why I have Flash disabled in my main browser.

    > > Man you all must really lead dull lives...

    > And they're made duller by badly made websites such as those where
    > text is in images that are too small to read.

    bitch, bitch, bitch.....
    place57, Jun 6, 2007
  11. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    <> writing in

    > On Jun 5, 7:58 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >> Just surfing around today and came across this
    >> gem:http://www.bluestarjets.com/

    > I had no problem with it, and as a side note I have to thank you, I
    > booked a flight for my wife and I to Orlando for our 26th anniversary.
    > (As bad as the web page might be, they do offer some great prices on
    > charters, and if you have never flown charter before, it is WELL worth
    > the few bucks extra it costs!)

    That's great, I'm glad that happened for you. Happy Anniversary!

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 6, 2007
  12. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns99474B875D7B0arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    > <> writing in
    >
    > > On Jun 5, 7:58 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > >> Just surfing around today and came across this
    > >> gem:http://www.bluestarjets.com/

    > > I had no problem with it, and as a side note I have to thank you, I
    > > booked a flight for my wife and I to Orlando for our 26th anniversary.
    > > (As bad as the web page might be, they do offer some great prices on
    > > charters, and if you have never flown charter before, it is WELL worth
    > > the few bucks extra it costs!)
    > >

    > That's great, I'm glad that happened for you. Happy Anniversary!

    My sentiments too. Good on you Travis.

    All this turning off of images and Flash is fine, but perhaps too
    much boasting about it is suffers another kind of fault.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 6, 2007
  13. Adrienne Boswell

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:03:55 GMT Travis Newbury scribed:

    > On Jun 5, 7:58 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >> Just surfing around today and came across this
    >> gem:http://www.bluestarjets.com/

    > I had no problem with it, and as a side note I have to thank you, I
    > booked a flight for my wife and I to Orlando for our 26th anniversary.
    > (As bad as the web page might be, they do offer some great prices on
    > charters, and if you have never flown charter before, it is WELL worth
    > the few bucks extra it costs!)

    Aren't you kinda old to be a radical?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jun 7, 2007
  14. On Jun 7, 2:05 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > Aren't you kinda old to be a radical?

    I am kind of old for a lot of things...
    Travis Newbury, Jun 7, 2007
  15. Adrienne Boswell

    asdf Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 7, 2:05 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> Aren't you kinda old to be a radical?

    > I am kind of old for a lot of things...

    Actually, I find young people kinda conservative these days... safe sex,
    voting republican, christian, you name it. The most radical person I know
    personally is 74 years old.
    asdf, Jun 7, 2007
  16. asdf wrote:
    > "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    >> On Jun 7, 2:05 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >>> Aren't you kinda old to be a radical?

    >> I am kind of old for a lot of things...
    >>

    > Actually, I find young people kinda conservative these days... safe sex,
    > voting republican, christian, you name it. The most radical person I know
    > personally is 74 years old.

    That's because they no longer need to impress anyone.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 7, 2007
  17. While the city slept, Travis Newbury () feverishly
    typed...

    > On Jun 6, 4:54 am, JD <> wrote:
    >> And why did they use images for the text links in the left-hand side
    >> navigation? Talk about making the job harder for no appreciable
    >> benefit.

    > Man you all must really lead dull lives...

    0.6k for the "Home" link, which would be 4 characters of suitably styled
    text otherwise... Hell, it's their bandwidth ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!
    nice.guy.nige, Jun 8, 2007
  18. While the city slept, Travis Newbury () feverishly
    typed...

    > On Jun 7, 2:05 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> Aren't you kinda old to be a radical?

    > I am kind of old for a lot of things...

    That reminds me of the classic "I am not young enough to know everything"
    quote ;-) Congrats on the anniversary.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    nice.guy.nige, Jun 8, 2007
  19. Adrienne Boswell

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:44:58 GMT Travis Newbury scribed:

    > On Jun 7, 2:05 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> Aren't you kinda old to be a radical?

    > I am kind of old for a lot of things...

    Here's an ad lib rap song pour vous:

    Know the feeling, don't like it.
    Rather be young, and spike it.

    Mamma always yelled, "Don't loaf-o!"
    Now I'ze just, an old mofo.

    Bones iz brittle, teeth be rotten.
    Good days gone, 'most forgotten.

    Wish I had me, a young filly,
    And a newer, piccadilly.

    <g>

    Anyway, best wishes for the anniv. and I hope you have another 26 years at
    least to enjoy.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jun 8, 2007