[OT]: When will folks learn? [Was: Is Javascript the new "Basic"?]

psema4

I'm sorry - I've been "listening" to this group for quite a while
now. I've been refraining from answering or making comments for one
reason, and one reason only: Egotistical, higher-than-thou, you-aught-
to-know-better members' responses.

I can live with the spam (rather not, but) there are some in this
community that I truly respect. There are others though that are just
killing my interest in the group. I belong to more online communities
than you can shake a stick at, but for "attitude," this is - by far -
the worst. I remain a subscriber only because I need those tidbits
that actually help me.

Why is it that so many simple questions (perhaps "obfuscated" by
language or personality barriers) become twisted into "you're so
stupid you shouldn't even be posting" arguments?

I spent the first 10 years of my "programming life" learning - and
understanding - BASIC. Then I branched out, applying what I had
learned to a dozen other languages. I personlly think JS would make a
wonderful beginners language if this groups' postings (as a whole;
even "on average!") were more open and less hostile.

Personally, I subscribed to this group because I need help with my
project, Atomic OS, whose core is written entirely in JS, but when I
asked my initial questions I was met with the same style of response
that are the motivation for this post.

What ever happened to the saying "You'll catch more flies with honey
than vinegar?"

Call me a troll - I couldn't care less - but f@!k - if you want JS to
be considered a "mature" programming language - then act like it and
be professional.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just out of my skull with some of the
things I've read from this group in the last two days. No finger
pointing, No identification. Just one request: Please listen, and
where you can *help* - don't *hinder*

- Scott

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

psema4 said:
I'm sorry - I've been "listening" to this group for quite a while
now. I've been refraining from answering or making comments for one
reason, and one reason only: Egotistical, higher-than-thou, you-aught-
to-know-better members' responses.

There are no members here. Learn to understand the difference between a
bulletin board/Web forum and a public newsgroup. Learn to understand the
difference between Google Groups and Usenet.

Learn to understand that there will always be people who know more than you,
and it is not easy for them to explain to you something so that they be
understood, and more important, not misunderstood. Especially when that
person you are generally willing to explain something to comes along with
the consumer attitude instead of the student attitude.
[...]
Personally, I subscribed to this group because I need help with my
project, Atomic OS, whose core is written entirely in JS, but when I
asked my initial questions I was met with the same style of response
that are the motivation for this post.

AFAICS, this is your first posting here.
What ever happened to the saying "You'll catch more flies with honey
than vinegar?"

Call me a troll - I couldn't care less

Likewise. Not because of a person complaining, but because of *you*
complaining. Have you contributed anything at all here? How dare you
telling others how they should post?
- but f@!k - if you want JS to be considered a "mature" programming
language - then act like it and be professional.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just out of my skull with some of the
things I've read from this group in the last two days. No finger
pointing, No identification. Just one request: Please listen, and
where you can *help* - don't *hinder*

Learn to understand the difference between a support forum and a public
newsgroup.

That said, those discussions (as long they are on-topic) that may not
explicitly answer the question really help (and not hinder) if people
are willing to "listen" in the first place.

EOD

PointedEars

psema4

There are no members here. Learn to understand the difference between a
bulletin board/Web forum and a public newsgroup. Learn to understand the
difference between Google Groups and Usenet.

Learn to understand that there will always be people who know more than you,
and it is not easy for them to explain to you something so that they be
understood, and more important, not misunderstood. Especially when that
person you are generally willing to explain something to comes along with
the consumer attitude instead of the student attitude.

"Learn to understand that there will always be people who know more
than you"

I already understand that - and rest my case. Yes, I have the read
the rest of your message - thank you for your time.

- Scott.

David Cox

snipped and re-arranged
psema4 wrote:
psema4 wrote:
How dare you telling others how they should post?
Learn to understand the difference between a support forum

where you can expect support
and a public newsgroup.

when you can expect to be attacked for making a request.

and be told, as if by a "higher-than-thou", when they should end the
discussion
PointedEars

A general comment:

As a JS/ HTML/ CSS newbie I do appreciate the gifts that I get from this
newsgroup, and it is churlish to complain about some of the wrapping paper
they come in.

Everybody in the medical profession should know that it is no use
prescribing a medicine if the patient will not take it. It is for this
reason that medicines often come in tastless digestible packaging. They
should also know that it is no use acquiring medicinal knowledge if the sick
will nor come for help because of the way they are treated.

David F. Cox