[OT]: When will folks learn? [Was: Is Javascript the new "Basic"?]

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by psema4, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. psema4

    psema4 Guest

    I'm sorry - I've been "listening" to this group for quite a while
    now. I've been refraining from answering or making comments for one
    reason, and one reason only: Egotistical, higher-than-thou, you-aught-
    to-know-better members' responses.

    I can live with the spam (rather not, but) there are some in this
    community that I truly respect. There are others though that are just
    killing my interest in the group. I belong to more online communities
    than you can shake a stick at, but for "attitude," this is - by far -
    the worst. I remain a subscriber only because I need those tidbits
    that actually help me.

    Why is it that so many simple questions (perhaps "obfuscated" by
    language or personality barriers) become twisted into "you're so
    stupid you shouldn't even be posting" arguments?

    I spent the first 10 years of my "programming life" learning - and
    understanding - BASIC. Then I branched out, applying what I had
    learned to a dozen other languages. I personlly think JS would make a
    wonderful beginners language if this groups' postings (as a whole;
    even "on average!") were more open and less hostile.

    Personally, I subscribed to this group because I need help with my
    project, Atomic OS, whose core is written entirely in JS, but when I
    asked my initial questions I was met with the same style of response
    that are the motivation for this post.

    What ever happened to the saying "You'll catch more flies with honey
    than vinegar?"

    Call me a troll - I couldn't care less - but f@!k - if you want JS to
    be considered a "mature" programming language - then act like it and
    be professional.

    Sorry for the rant, but I'm just out of my skull with some of the
    things I've read from this group in the last two days. No finger
    pointing, No identification. Just one request: Please listen, and
    where you can *help* - don't *hinder*

    - Scott
    psema4, Sep 7, 2007

  2. psema4 wrote:
    > I'm sorry - I've been "listening" to this group for quite a while
    > now. I've been refraining from answering or making comments for one
    > reason, and one reason only: Egotistical, higher-than-thou, you-aught-
    > to-know-better members' responses.

    There are no members here. Learn to understand the difference between a
    bulletin board/Web forum and a public newsgroup. Learn to understand the
    difference between Google Groups and Usenet.

    Learn to understand that there will always be people who know more than you,
    and it is not easy for them to explain to you something so that they be
    understood, and more important, not misunderstood. Especially when that
    person you are generally willing to explain something to comes along with
    the consumer attitude instead of the student attitude.

    > [...]
    > Personally, I subscribed to this group because I need help with my
    > project, Atomic OS, whose core is written entirely in JS, but when I
    > asked my initial questions I was met with the same style of response
    > that are the motivation for this post.

    AFAICS, this is your first posting here.

    > What ever happened to the saying "You'll catch more flies with honey
    > than vinegar?"
    >
    > Call me a troll - I couldn't care less

    Likewise. Not because of a person complaining, but because of *you*
    complaining. Have you contributed anything at all here? How dare you
    telling others how they should post?

    > - but f@!k - if you want JS to be considered a "mature" programming
    > language - then act like it and be professional.
    >
    > Sorry for the rant, but I'm just out of my skull with some of the
    > things I've read from this group in the last two days. No finger
    > pointing, No identification. Just one request: Please listen, and
    > where you can *help* - don't *hinder*

    Learn to understand the difference between a support forum and a public
    newsgroup.

    That said, those discussions (as long they are on-topic) that may not
    explicitly answer the question really help (and not hinder) if people
    are willing to "listen" in the first place.

    EOD

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Sep 7, 2007

  3. psema4

    psema4 Guest

    Re: : When will folks learn? [Was: Is Javascript the new "Basic"?]

    On Sep 7, 6:56 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    wrote:
    > psema4 wrote:
    > > I'm sorry - I've been "listening" to this group for quite a while
    > > now. I've been refraining from answering or making comments for one
    > > reason, and one reason only: Egotistical, higher-than-thou, you-aught-
    > > to-know-better members' responses.

    > There are no members here. Learn to understand the difference between a
    > bulletin board/Web forum and a public newsgroup. Learn to understand the
    > difference between Google Groups and Usenet.
    >
    > Learn to understand that there will always be people who know more than you,
    > and it is not easy for them to explain to you something so that they be
    > understood, and more important, not misunderstood. Especially when that
    > person you are generally willing to explain something to comes along with
    > the consumer attitude instead of the student attitude.

    "Learn to understand that there will always be people who know more
    than you"

    I already understand that - and rest my case. Yes, I have the read
    the rest of your message - thank you for your time.

    - Scott.
    psema4, Sep 8, 2007
  4. psema4

    David Cox Guest

    "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> wrote in message
    snipped and re-arranged

    >.... Have you contributed anything at all here?

    > psema4 wrote:

    >> I've been refraining from answering or making comments for one
    >> reason, and one reason only: Egotistical, higher-than-thou, you-aught-
    >> to-know-better members' responses.

    > psema4 wrote:

    >> Just one request: Please listen, and
    >> where you can *help* - don't *hinder*

    > How dare you telling others how they should post?

    > Learn to understand the difference between a support forum

    where you can expect support

    >and a public newsgroup.

    when you can expect to be attacked for making a request.

    >EOD

    and be told, as if by a "higher-than-thou", when they should end the
    discussion

    > PointedEars

    A general comment:

    As a JS/ HTML/ CSS newbie I do appreciate the gifts that I get from this
    newsgroup, and it is churlish to complain about some of the wrapping paper
    they come in.

    Everybody in the medical profession should know that it is no use
    prescribing a medicine if the patient will not take it. It is for this
    reason that medicines often come in tastless digestible packaging. They
    should also know that it is no use acquiring medicinal knowledge if the sick
    will nor come for help because of the way they are treated.

    David F. Cox
    David Cox, Sep 9, 2007