[OT] Which news reader?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rob Meade, May 20, 2006.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Hi all,

    I've lingered in this group for a while, some times with large periods of
    time before my head pops back of it my shell, but having just read another
    post that mentioned about "which ever news reader you use" I thought I'd ask
    them question here.

    I've only ever used Outlook's Newsreader - its always been ok - not exactly
    riddled with whizzy things - but then do I really need these?

    I was wondering if there are those of you out there that haunt more groups
    that have other preferred news readers and if so what they are - what
    additional functionality do they have that you find useful?

    I often wonder how people find my posts in busy groups, ie, its fine for the
    first hour or so whilst its at the top of the list, but as more posts are
    made and it slips down, if they've not flagged it in anyway how will they
    find it again (so to those of you who have found my other posts and helped
    me in the past - many thanks!)...this made me wonder if any of other
    newsreaders come with the ability to say create custom folders and drag a
    thread into it so that you can "watch" it as it were without having to go
    into the main group and look.

    Any info about the newsreaders you guys use would be appreciated - I feel
    like a change and would welcome any recommendations.

    My apologies for those of you reading this believing it related to an ASP
    post - I tried to mark it as obviously as possible that it wasn't.

    Best regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, May 20, 2006

  2. Rob Meade

    arbpen Guest

    Re: Which news reader?

    Rob Meade wote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've lingered in this group for a while, some times with large periods of
    > time before my head pops back of it my shell, but having just read another
    > post that mentioned about "which ever news reader you use" I thought I'd ask
    > them question here.

    Although I am posting from Google Groups (so no XFace), I use XNews
    available at <http://xnews.newsguy.com/>. It's free and easy to use.
    I've been using it for years.

    One of the things that I like about it is it recognizes a compliant
    signature and removes it, just as it is supposed to. It also supports
    XFace <http://www.dairiki.org/xface/>, which allows you to put a little
    image (icon if you will) along with your post.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at work
    http://atlas.nextblock.com/files/

    arbpen, May 22, 2006

  3. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Re: Which news reader?

    "arbpen" wrote...

    > One of the things that I like about it is it recognizes a compliant
    > signature and removes it, just as it is supposed to. It also supports
    > XFace <http://www.dairiki.org/xface/>, which allows you to put a little
    > image (icon if you will) along with your post.

    Hi Adrienne,

    Thanks for your reply - one question - whats a "compiant signature" ?

    And if its compliant - why's it remove it?

    /scratches head #:eek:)

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, May 25, 2006