[OT] Who Knows of a Good Computational Physics Textbook?

Dan Sommers

Hi,

I posted this to sci.physics and alt.sci.physics and got nowhere;
perhaps the much more friendly and helpful crowd here can help me. I
know that a lot of pythonistas are, in fact, scientists.

I am a non-traditional, undergraduate physics (and math) student with
20+ years of professional software development behind me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good book from which my
professor and I can construct a one-semester independent study course on
computational physics?

Since this will be in the physics department at school, we are more
concerned with the direct applicability of the material to physics
rather than an extensive study of numerical methods from a strictly
mathematical or computer science point of view. Also, while I am not
afraid to learn yet another computer language, a steep learning curve in
that area would probably end up detracting from the physics aspects of
the course.

If you know of some place I can go in order to find the right questions
to ask (and possibly the right place to ask them!), then don't be afraid
to let me know that, too.

Thanks,
Dan

beliavsky

There is some info on teaching computational physics at Rubin Landau's
site http://www.physics.orst.edu/~rubin/ .

Springer recently published the book "Python Scripting for
Computational Science" by Hans P. Langtangen .

Searching "computational physics" at Amazon returns some relevant
books.

Scott David Daniels

Look into Ruth Chabay's physics books for a possibly appropriate
choice and surpisingly on-topic choice. That is, unless you are
talking computational physics at the level of "ab initio
chemistry" and friends.

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

James Stroud

Look into "Game Physics" by Eberly (Elsevier).

--
James Stroud, Ph.D.
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com/