[OT] Who's echoing all posts redundantly? Please stop!

Lew

From: Lew <[email protected]>

Who's echoing all these posts marked with

<quote>
-- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
</quote>

STOP IT!

Please.

Is this an attack from an unemployed Ukrainian tuba player, perhaps?

--
Lew

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Patricia Shanahan

To: Lew
From: Patricia Shanahan <[email protected]>

Who's echoing all these posts marked with

<quote>
-- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
</quote>

STOP IT!

Please.

Is this an attack from an unemployed Ukrainian tuba player, perhaps?

The corrupted paths seem to point back to tds.net. I believe someone was going
to try to contact their abuse address. Did that happen?

Does the bug affect any newsgroups other than comp.lang.java.programmer? It's
the only affected newsgroup I follow.

Patricia

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Robert Klemme

To: Patricia Shanahan
From: Robert Klemme <[email protected]>

The corrupted paths seem to point back to tds.net. I believe someone was
going to try to contact their abuse address. Did that happen?

Yes. Sorry for not reporting back earlier. I had hoped I could come up with
better news. Here's the state of affairs:

I sent email to (e-mail address removed) as advertised in headers but the email came back:

(e-mail address removed)

Technical details of permanent failure: Google tried to deliver your message,
but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other
email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error
that the other server returned was: 550 550-5.1.1 The email account that you
tried to reach does not exist. Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the
recipient's email address for typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more
at 550 5.1.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=6596
r2si8675364wia.47 (state 13).

I also tried the web contact form but that did not provide a proper category
for this type of feedback (not even something faintly related, they just cover
Internet connectivity issues and the like) so I didn't send anything via that
way.

I then tried various addresses most of which had errors, these didn't:
(e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed) and (e-mail address removed)

No reply yet.

I also contacted my news provider (news.individual.net) which is a paid service
and I have experienced them as very professional. They replied within 2.5
hours (on a Sunday!) and argued that even if they would filter those messages
that would not stop others from replying to the echo messages leading to even
more corrupted threads. They have a point there. But they also hinted my at
time.synchro.net which you can find in headers like these:

So I tried to reach them at

(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed)

No errors but also no response - yet. I suspect nobody read the email.

Currently I have a filter on "X-Gateway: time.synchro.net" OR
a pleasant experience currently.
Does the bug affect any newsgroups other than comp.lang.java.programmer?
It's the only affected newsgroup I follow.

Not that I am aware of.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Arne Vajhøj

To: Robert Klemme
From: Arne Vajhoj <[email protected]>

Not that I am aware of.

Me neither (but I am only following 6 global groups).

Which is somewhat interesting.

I can only think of two explanations: 1) software bug in server only carrying
cljp 2) deliberate action by someone

Arne

To: Arne Vajhøj
From: Robert Klemme <[email protected]>

Me neither (but I am only following 6 global groups).

Here it's 10 groups from comp.*, 16 in total.
Which is somewhat interesting.

I can only think of two explanations:
1) software bug in server only carrying cljp
2) deliberate action by someone

3) someone misconfiguring his private news server 4) experimental news gateway
software running berserk and the development team went on summer holidays

Cheers

To: Robert Klemme
From: Arne Vajhoj <[email protected]>

Here it's 10 groups from comp.*, 16 in total.

3) someone misconfiguring his private news server
4) experimental news gateway software running berserk and the
development team went on summer holidays

Isn't that sub classes of #1?

To: Robert Klemme
From: Patricia Shanahan <[email protected]>

[...]

c.l.j.p a pleasant experience currently.
Does the bug affect any newsgroups other than comp.lang.java.programmer?
It's the only affected newsgroup I follow.

Not that I am aware of.

Thanks for your efforts. The next question is whether anyone can think of an
alternative approach to getting this fixed. I'm afraid you have already tried
most of the things I can think of.

Patricia

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Joerg Meier

To: Robert Klemme
From: Joerg Meier <[email protected]>

Yes. Sorry for not reporting back earlier. I had hoped I could come up
with better news. Here's the state of affairs: [...]

I tried a similar (though less thorough) approach a few days ago, with no
results either (other than the broken replies from tds).

One more thing that might help is the following: in the German part of Usenet,
we have a specific newsgroup to report abuse to, which to my understanding can
then lead to the offending news server being blocked globally if they don't
react. Is there maybe a similar mechanism for the worldwide Usenet ?

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

--
Ich lese meine Emails nicht, replies to Email bleiben also leider ungelesen.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

markspace

To: Robert Klemme
From: markspace <-@.>

So I tried to reach them at

(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed)

Sometimes (e-mail address removed) is a way to get in touch with someone who can help.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Eric Sosman

To: Robert Klemme
From: Eric Sosman <[email protected]>

[...]
Yes. Sorry for not reporting back earlier. I had hoped I could come up
with better news. Here's the state of affairs: [...]

Many thanks for trying; sorry your efforts have not yet borne
fruit.

--
Eric Sosman
(e-mail address removed)

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

uBend

To: Arne Vajhøj
From: uBend <[email protected]>

Arne Vajhoj said:
Me neither (but I am only following 6 global groups).

Which is somewhat interesting.

I can only think of two explanations:
1) software bug in server only carrying cljp

This would be partly true as the server is open to exploit.
2) deliberate action by someone
"someone"?
No prizes for the lottery winner on this one. The fact the cross-poasted
threads are not a subject of attack has escaped your notice?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/90b1ba4e63328fc4?d
mode=source

Those "quotefix" posts are a feature of Hipcrime. The java enabled version
(NewsMaestro) has been in Derbyshire's possession for quite some time. Given
all the aid cljp has provided in assisting with sorting out the bits of code
which did prevent the script from running it is no surprise to see the group
targeted, as the group population declared Derbyshire persona non grata.
More of a double whammy "thanks" posting series?

Derbyshire is frolicking among the kooks in alt.usenet.kooks taking solid hits
from the regulars with assorted kook awards coming his way.
From: kensi <[email protected]>

From: Nadegda <[email protected]>

From: [Tor] Friendly Neighborhood Vote Wrangler {One Of Three}
<[email protected]>
All three of the above are apparitions of Derbyshire's invention. All three
have been focused on a failed "coup" of a/u/k. How familiar to cljp lifers does
that appear? Most are now being forged in lampooning. The pegboi is not happy.
The action cljp is seeing is a standard reactive for script enabled kooks
hellbent on having their last word.

Join the dots to either wait it out till the open server dies or filter on a
set field, is all that could be done. Those with balls could also contact the
Sympatico Bell abuse desk asking if those posts are being pumped into a Tor
network or socks4 host via their Bank St. (Ottawa) server.

Given past examples it is not likely the shitstorm would ease soon.

---the only post on the topic, cljp you are on your own.

To: Robert Klemme
From: Patricia Shanahan <[email protected]>

On 8/4/2012 2:07 PM, Robert Klemme wrote: ...
I also tried the web contact form but that did not provide a proper
category for this type of feedback (not even something faintly related,
they just cover Internet connectivity issues and the like) so I didn't
send anything via that way.

I sent a message through their web form, disguising it as a sales question so
that I didn't have to provide existing account information. This is an IQ test
for their sales department - will they get my message to someone who
understands USENET?

To: Patricia Shanahan
From: Robert Klemme <[email protected]>

On 8/4/2012 2:07 PM, Robert Klemme wrote:

I sent a message through their web form, disguising it as a sales
question so that I didn't have to provide existing account information.
This is an IQ test for their sales department - will they get my message
to someone who understands USENET?

LOL

Great Patricia, this is a good idea! Let's hope for the best.

To: uBend
From: Patricia Shanahan <[email protected]>

On 8/4/2012 6:48 PM, uBend wrote:
Those "quotefix" posts are a feature of Hipcrime.
The java enabled version (NewsMaestro) has been in
Derbyshire's possession for quite some time.
Given all the aid cljp has provided in assisting
with sorting out the bits of code which did prevent
the script from running it is no surprise to see the
group targeted, as the group population declared
Derbyshire persona non grata.
More of a double whammy "thanks" posting series?

I did consider the theory that the corrupted messages are a malicious side
effect of the current spam-fest, including the possibility they they are being
generated by one or more of the Derbyshire-obsessed spammers.

However, I think the best strategy is to try to make the TDS sysadmins aware of
the situation. If the messages are not coming from TDS they are being
repeatedly libeled. The TDS admins may have both an interest in putting a stop
to it, and better resources than I have for doing so.

Patricia

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Daniel Pitts

To: Robert Klemme
From: Daniel Pitts <[email protected]>

So I tried to reach them at

(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed)

No errors but also no response - yet. I suspect nobody read the email.

Currently I have a filter on "X-Gateway: time.synchro.net" OR
c.l.j.p a pleasant experience currently.

Perhaps looking to the owners of synchro.net (not time.synchro.net), which
appears to be a hosting service for BBSs. My theory is that someone created a
BBS<-->Usenet bridge, which is broken, and is running it on synchro.net's
services.

I've been too busy to investigate it myself.

Good luck,
Daniel.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

kensi

To: Patricia Shanahan
From: kensi <[email protected]>

On 8/4/2012 6:48 PM, uBend wrote:

I did consider the theory that the corrupted messages are a malicious
side effect of the current spam-fest, including the possibility they
they are being generated by one or more of the D3rbyshire-obsessed
spammers.

You just replied to the biggest D3rbyshire-obsessed spammer of them all,
without knowing it.

Note "uBend"'s oddball "<nym> posted as news in: <mid>" attrib line. That marks
uBend as a sock of the posting entity I call Morphy. That name derives from the
last truly long-lived nym of his having been "murphy", and morph, for what he's
constantly doing (besides obsessing about D3rbyshire, whoever THAT is).

Morphy will troll newsgroups in rec.* and comp.* under various nyms accusing
people of being D3rbyshire. He seems to think that since he's a sock-using
nymshifting tard that every nym he sees is probably also a sock of a sock-using
nymshifting tard -- classic projection.

He's also guilty of spamming -- actual, honest-to-God spamming. More
specifically he's made several multiposts lately, some with BIs up into the
teens, as "Hydra_Blanket" and variant nyms and as "CastAlone".

Since killfiling the twit won't work due to his morphing, I recommend simply
ignoring him the old-fashioned way. If a nym's unfamiliar look for things like
"posted as new in:", "oH Dear", one-word questions like this:

and other oddly formed questions, such as

And, of course, "D3rbyshire" and unsubstantiated claims that random people are
sockpuppets of someone with that name.

--
"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the
known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy." ~David Brooks

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Nomen Nescio

To: Daniel Pitts

I killfiled the sonofabitch/bot/whatever it/he/she is by MID and haven't seen
an off-topic post since.

To: kensi
From: uBend <[email protected]>

kensi [known sock of Paul G Derbyshire of Pembroke Ontario]
Patricia.
Most definitely not. Take that as fact. None, I repeat NONE of the people who
have unwrapped Derbyshire have resorted to the methods of SPAM the nutcase
employs.
You just replied to the biggest D3rbyshire-obsessed spammer of them all,
without knowing it.
Do know this piece of free information, Derbyshire. AIOE.org has not set your
"deny word" filter to cljp, it is okay to post your name (Derbyshire) openly.
Your attempted control of Usenet failed in that regard for this news group.
Others were not so immune.

OTOH. Paolo Amoroso may still be listening to you at the abuse@desk. There may
be a queue.

[0ff]

To: uBend
From: kensi <[email protected]>

None, I repeat NONE of the people who have unwrapped Derbyshire
have resorted to the methods of SPAM the nutcase employs.

Derbyshire must be you, then, since under your "Hydra-Blanky" nym you
perpetrated the following excessive multipost:

From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanky"
Newsgroups: rec.arts.startrek.misc,ott.jobs,rec.games.roguelike.angband)

BI contribution: 1.7

From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanky"
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.development,alt.animals.dolphins

BI contribution: 1.4

From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanky"
Newsgroups: alt.games.xtrek,alt.config,alt.free.newsservers

BI contribution: 1.7

From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanky"
Newsgroups: news.software.readers,alt.journalism,sci.space.shuttle

BI contribution: 1.7

From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanky"
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.advocacy

BI contribution: 1.0

From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanky"
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.lisp,comp.lang.java.help

BI contribution: 1.7

From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanky"
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv,ott.general,sci.astro

BI contribution: 1.7

From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanky"
Newsgroups: sci.physics,alt.tv.lost,alt.startrek

BI contribution: 1.7

From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanky"
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,sci.physics,alt.usenet.kooks

BI contribution: 1.7

From: (e-mail address removed)-dpk-this
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer

BI contribution: 1.0

Total BI: 7*1.7 + 1.4 + 2*1 = 15.3

That's pretty spammy. And you *admitted* it, at the time:

+ --
+ aioe-EMP hash
+ name kuseijin From 2012, I think. Some kind of cohort of `WJ'
+ perhaps, though it's unclear.
+ Ed Strolek From early 2012. This may be the same person or machine +
as Cthun: certainly
+ he/it shows some of the same repetitive aggression.

All but one of the multiposts has a slightly different, excessive-length
"signature" like the above that has the sheer unrepentant gall to
*explicitly state its purpose*, which is to avoid being filtered as
duplicate posts. So don't pretend you didn't *know* you were committing Usenet
EMP at the time, you twerp!

Anyone who doubts me, feel free to check each of those message-IDs out at
http://al.howardknight.net to see that they're all by the same twit, all with
substantially the same content, and all by *this uBend twit* to judge by the
general tone, "style", and obsessive fixation in the posts' content. And then
there's this, which you forgot to XNA:

<[email protected]>

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/msg/fddc236b19466b16

+ From: uBend <[email protected]>
+ STFU, paul (seamus) kOOk.

And this:

<[email protected]>

+ From: (e-mail address removed) "Hydra-Blanket"
+ paul (seamus)

Your distinctive obsession, your distinctive way of phrasing it, one in a uBend
post with the same bogus email addy as this uBend post, the other in a post
that is obviously by the same person as the EMP, with only slight tweaks to the
(syntactically incorrect) From: header.

There is no doubt whatsoever in any reasonable mind, after reading the evidence
above, that you yourself are responsible for usenet spamming, "uBend".
AIOE.org has not set your "deny word" filter to cljp, it is okay to post
your name (Derbyshire) openly.

Not my filter, nutcase.
Your attempted control of Usenet<SLAP!>

Not my attempt. Like other attempts to throw sand on flamewars and trolling,
probably (e-mail address removed) acting on his own initiative. You're just paranoid,
blaming your demon "Derbyshire" for everything (and everyone) that annoys you.

A classic Morpyism, that. And yet you keep denying that all your various other
usenet socks were yours despite how easy it is to prove.

--
"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the
known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy." ~David Brooks

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Nadegda

To: uBend
From: Nadegda <[email protected]>

This would be partly true as the server is open to exploit.

"someone"?
No prizes for the lottery winner on this one. The fact the cross-poasted
threads are not a subject of attack has escaped your notice?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/ msg/90b1ba4e63328fc4?dmode=source

Those "quotefix" posts are a feature of Hipcrime. The java enabled
version (NewsMaestro) has been in Derbyshire's p<NEEDLE SCRATCH>

It's you!

Hi, Morphy. :)

Now what was that you said earlier? Ah, yes:
This would be partly true as the server is open to exploit.

Funny that you would know this. Generally the only people who would know such a
thing are the server's administrator and anyone who's recently hacked the
server in question.
Given all the aid cljp has provided in assisting with sorting out
the bits of code which did prevent the script from running it is no
surprise to see the group targeted,

What specific type of delusional psychosis were you diagnosed with again? I
forget.
Derbyshire is frolicking among the kooks in alt.usenet.kooks taking
solid hits from the regulars with assorted kook awards coming his way.

Derbyshire must be you, then, or maybe Fred Hall.
From: kensi <[email protected]> Message-ID:
<[email protected]>

From: Nadegda <[email protected]> Message-ID:
<[email protected]>

From: [Tor] Friendly Neighborhood Vote Wrangler {One Of Three}
<[email protected]> Message-ID: <jvgo3l$qoa [email protected]>
All three of the above are apparitions of Derbyshire's invention.

You mean, all three of the above are your worst nightmare. Evidence has
repeatedly been posted that we three are three different people and that none
of us is Derbyshire.
All three have been focused on a failed "coup" of a/u/k.

You mean, a successful coup.
Most are now being forged in
desperation.

The pegboi is not happy.

No, Fred Hall, deemed Offishul AUK PegBoy For Life, is not happy at all.
The action cljp is seeing is a standard reactive for script enabled
kooks hellbent on having their last word.

That referring to your lame spamming attempts? You can't even manage to muster
a BI of even 20. Or are you admitting you have something to do with this TDS
nonsense?
---the only post on the topic,

A lie. I see a second "uBend" post in the header list. Apparently you didn't
like whatever kensi had to say to Patricia Shanahan, a post I now eagerly
anticipate reading next, as no doubt it contains another amusing smackdown of
you, kook.