[OT] why cd ripping on Linux is so slow

alf

Hi,

I try to ip some music CD and later convert it into mp3 for my mp3
player, but can not get around one problem. ripping from Linux is
extremely slow like 0.5x of CD speed.

In contrary, on M$ Windows it takes like a few minutes to have CD ripped
and compresses into wmf yet I do not knowhow to get pure wavs...

Hope I find someone here helping me with that ....

Patrick Useldinger

alf said:
Hi,

I try to ip some music CD and later convert it into mp3 for my mp3
player, but can not get around one problem. ripping from Linux is
extremely slow like 0.5x of CD speed.

In contrary, on M$ Windows it takes like a few minutes to have CD ripped
and compresses into wmf yet I do not knowhow to get pure wavs...

Hope I find someone here helping me with that ....

This is really OT, and you might be better off looking in Linux forums
like http://www.linuxquestions.org/. That said, it's likely that your
DMA is not switched on. Ask your question in the aforementioned forums,
and make sure to state which distribution you are using.

-pu