OT - Windows 7

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Neredbojias, Jan 15, 2010.

  1. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
    good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
    the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to run,
    too, but searching the Web provided enough info to achieve this.
    Anyway, if you're looking for a new box, don't let Windows 7 stop you.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Jan 15, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
    > good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
    > the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to run


    http://dengine.net/

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 15, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Neredbojias

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 05:33:11 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias wrote in alt.html:

    > Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
    > good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
    > the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to run,
    > too, but searching the Web provided enough info to achieve this.
    > Anyway, if you're looking for a new box, don't let Windows 7 stop you.


    Check this out.
    Create a new folder on your desktop.
    Rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

    Then check out what's inside ;)


    --
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    idle, Jan 15, 2010
    #3
  4. idle wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote in alt.html:
    >> Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, ...

    >
    > Check this out.
    > Create a new folder on your desktop.
    > Rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
    >
    > Then check out what's inside ;)


    ...and DO NOT do this if you have the 64-bit version of Vista.

    http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2010/01/05/windows-7-god-mode/
    See the "Big Red Warning!" Some comments I've seen have reported it has
    actually crashed the OS back to reinstall-time.

    Besides that, it's just a shortcut to the control panel...

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 15, 2010
    #4
  5. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Jan 2010, "asdf" <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
    >> good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
    >> the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to
    >> run, too, but searching the Web provided enough info to achieve
    >> this. Anyway, if you're looking for a new box, don't let Windows 7
    >> stop you.

    >
    > Agreed.
    >
    > Got a new laptop for the better half a week or so ago, and it had
    > Win7 preinstalled.
    >
    > I must say, it seems pretty good, and hasn't broken even after
    > loading all my weird esoteric executables on it (I'll be using it too
    > from time to time).
    >
    > I still don't like all the excessive eye-candy, but I guess that's
    > what you get these days.
    >
    > Win 7 seems to boot and shutdown reasonably quickly.
    >
    > For an experiment, I booted it off a USB stick with Ubuntu 9.10 on
    > it, and as expected it was noticably quicker to boot (about 20-odd
    > seconds) and shutdown (about 5 seconds) than Win 7 off the hard
    > drive. Ok, not a valid test, but a good indicator, nevertheless.
    >
    > So yeah... I agree, Win 7 wouldn't put me off buying a new machine.
    > But all that excessive eye-candy doesn't exactly endear me to it
    > either - call me old fashioned, but I still see PCs as work tools,
    > not as entertainment.


    I heartily agree. Furthermore, once learned, I think it's easier to
    operate a system with straightforward commands rather than with
    "user-help-aid" compilations and other obfuscating stuff which only
    confuses many issues, anyway. I was a whiz at the ms-dos version of
    Wordstar; sure, it took me awhile to digest all the like 2-letter WS
    commands, but after I did I could run that app as easily as Notepad!

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Jan 16, 2010
    #5
  6. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Jan 2010, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
    >> good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
    >> the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to run

    >
    > http://dengine.net/


    I couldn't get it to work for some reason; it kept asking for the path
    which I _had_ put-in as indicated. Perhaps it's because the Doom I
    have is the Collectors' Edition and a Windows-installed program.
    Anyway, setting it up directly the way I did works pretty good. The
    only difference between the Win-7 load and my old XP load is that the
    new screen doesn't quite reach to top and bottom (although the
    perspective is fine.)

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Jan 16, 2010
    #6
  7. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 15 Jan 2010, idle <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 05:33:11 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias wrote in
    > alt.html:
    >
    >> Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
    >> good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
    >> the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to
    >> run, too, but searching the Web provided enough info to achieve
    >> this. Anyway, if you're looking for a new box, don't let Windows 7
    >> stop you.

    >
    > Check this out.
    > Create a new folder on your desktop.
    > Rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
    >
    > Then check out what's inside ;)


    I dug into that and no! no! no!; I'm chicken! Besides, as BS said,
    it's just a shortcut to some of Control Panel.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Jan 16, 2010
    #7
  8. Neredbojias

    David Segall Guest

    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    >On 15 Jan 2010, "asdf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
    >>> good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
    >>> the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to
    >>> run, too, but searching the Web provided enough info to achieve
    >>> this. Anyway, if you're looking for a new box, don't let Windows 7
    >>> stop you.

    >>
    >> Agreed.
    >>
    >> Got a new laptop for the better half a week or so ago, and it had
    >> Win7 preinstalled.
    >>
    >> I must say, it seems pretty good, and hasn't broken even after
    >> loading all my weird esoteric executables on it (I'll be using it too
    >> from time to time).
    >>
    >> I still don't like all the excessive eye-candy, but I guess that's
    >> what you get these days.
    >>
    >> Win 7 seems to boot and shutdown reasonably quickly.
    >>
    >> For an experiment, I booted it off a USB stick with Ubuntu 9.10 on
    >> it, and as expected it was noticably quicker to boot (about 20-odd
    >> seconds) and shutdown (about 5 seconds) than Win 7 off the hard
    >> drive. Ok, not a valid test, but a good indicator, nevertheless.
    >>
    >> So yeah... I agree, Win 7 wouldn't put me off buying a new machine.
    >> But all that excessive eye-candy doesn't exactly endear me to it
    >> either - call me old fashioned, but I still see PCs as work tools,
    >> not as entertainment.

    >
    >I heartily agree. Furthermore, once learned, I think it's easier to
    >operate a system with straightforward commands rather than with
    >"user-help-aid" compilations and other obfuscating stuff which only
    >confuses many issues, anyway. I was a whiz at the ms-dos version of
    >Wordstar; sure, it took me awhile to digest all the like 2-letter WS
    >commands, but after I did I could run that app as easily as Notepad!


    Do you still use it
    <http://www.wordstar.org/wsemu/word/pages/index.htm>? If not, why not?
    If the answer is that you now use a version of Unix do you use Emacs
    or vi?
    David Segall, Jan 16, 2010
    #8
  9. Neredbojias wrote:
    > On 15 Jan 2010, "Jonathan N. Little"<> wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
    >>> good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
    >>> the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to run

    >>
    >> http://dengine.net/

    >
    > I couldn't get it to work for some reason; it kept asking for the path
    > which I _had_ put-in as indicated. Perhaps it's because the Doom I
    > have is the Collectors' Edition and a Windows-installed program.
    > Anyway, setting it up directly the way I did works pretty good. The
    > only difference between the Win-7 load and my old XP load is that the
    > new screen doesn't quite reach to top and bottom (although the
    > perspective is fine.)
    >


    Should make a difference, just browse to wherever Doom I's doom.wad is
    located. I've got one of those Collectors' Edition as well Final Doom or
    Ultimate Doom, I cannot remember transferred from a Win2K long ago but I
    know it has the tnt.wad and plutonia.wad I had the older 1.9.0-beta4
    installed and didn't any trouble. Just downloaded 1.9.0-beta6.8 any I am
    having some trouble. Now I have upgraded from a Nvidia to an ATI
    card...in my experience ATI drivers tend to be buggier than Nvidia. I
    may downgrade back to beta4 or maybe stick with the stable release.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 16, 2010
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Michael Johnson Sr.
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    703
    Michael Johnson Sr.
    Feb 4, 2004
  2. Jim Davis
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    401
    John Saunders
    Jun 9, 2004
  3. RJN
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    4,887
  4. pberna
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    3,674
    Scott Allen
    Nov 15, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TGU5NTY5?=

    Moving web app from windows 2000 to windows 2003 - Help

    =?Utf-8?B?TGU5NTY5?=, Apr 18, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    355
    =?Utf-8?B?TGU5NTY5?=
    Apr 18, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page