OT - Windows 7

Neredbojias

Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to run,
too, but searching the Web provided enough info to achieve this.
Anyway, if you're looking for a new box, don't let Windows 7 stop you.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to run

http://dengine.net/

idle

Got a new 'puter with Windows 7 on it the other day, and it's pretty
good. There are some objections; fer instance, the popup windows on
the taskbar buttons suck. I had some trouble getting Doom II to run,
too, but searching the Web provided enough info to achieve this.
Anyway, if you're looking for a new box, don't let Windows 7 stop you.

Check this out.
Create a new folder on your desktop.
Rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Then check out what's inside ;)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

idle said:
Neredbojias wrote in alt.html:

Check this out.
Create a new folder on your desktop.
Rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Then check out what's inside ;)

...and DO NOT do this if you have the 64-bit version of Vista.

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2010/01/05/windows-7-god-mode/
See the "Big Red Warning!" Some comments I've seen have reported it has
actually crashed the OS back to reinstall-time.

Besides that, it's just a shortcut to the control panel...

Neredbojias

Agreed.

Got a new laptop for the better half a week or so ago, and it had
Win7 preinstalled.

I must say, it seems pretty good, and hasn't broken even after
from time to time).

I still don't like all the excessive eye-candy, but I guess that's
what you get these days.

Win 7 seems to boot and shutdown reasonably quickly.

For an experiment, I booted it off a USB stick with Ubuntu 9.10 on
it, and as expected it was noticably quicker to boot (about 20-odd
seconds) and shutdown (about 5 seconds) than Win 7 off the hard
drive. Ok, not a valid test, but a good indicator, nevertheless.

So yeah... I agree, Win 7 wouldn't put me off buying a new machine.
But all that excessive eye-candy doesn't exactly endear me to it
either - call me old fashioned, but I still see PCs as work tools,
not as entertainment.

I heartily agree. Furthermore, once learned, I think it's easier to
operate a system with straightforward commands rather than with
"user-help-aid" compilations and other obfuscating stuff which only
confuses many issues, anyway. I was a whiz at the ms-dos version of
Wordstar; sure, it took me awhile to digest all the like 2-letter WS
commands, but after I did I could run that app as easily as Notepad!

Neredbojias

I couldn't get it to work for some reason; it kept asking for the path
which I _had_ put-in as indicated. Perhaps it's because the Doom I
have is the Collectors' Edition and a Windows-installed program.
Anyway, setting it up directly the way I did works pretty good. The
only difference between the Win-7 load and my old XP load is that the
new screen doesn't quite reach to top and bottom (although the
perspective is fine.)

Neredbojias

Check this out.
Create a new folder on your desktop.
Rename it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Then check out what's inside ;)

I dug into that and no! no! no!; I'm chicken! Besides, as BS said,
it's just a shortcut to some of Control Panel.

David Segall

Neredbojias said:
I heartily agree. Furthermore, once learned, I think it's easier to
operate a system with straightforward commands rather than with
"user-help-aid" compilations and other obfuscating stuff which only
confuses many issues, anyway. I was a whiz at the ms-dos version of
Wordstar; sure, it took me awhile to digest all the like 2-letter WS
commands, but after I did I could run that app as easily as Notepad!

Do you still use it
<http://www.wordstar.org/wsemu/word/pages/index.htm>? If not, why not?
If the answer is that you now use a version of Unix do you use Emacs
or vi?

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
I couldn't get it to work for some reason; it kept asking for the path
which I _had_ put-in as indicated. Perhaps it's because the Doom I
have is the Collectors' Edition and a Windows-installed program.
Anyway, setting it up directly the way I did works pretty good. The
only difference between the Win-7 load and my old XP load is that the
new screen doesn't quite reach to top and bottom (although the
perspective is fine.)

Should make a difference, just browse to wherever Doom I's doom.wad is
located. I've got one of those Collectors' Edition as well Final Doom or
Ultimate Doom, I cannot remember transferred from a Win2K long ago but I
know it has the tnt.wad and plutonia.wad I had the older 1.9.0-beta4
installed and didn't any trouble. Just downloaded 1.9.0-beta6.8 any I am
having some trouble. Now I have upgraded from a Nvidia to an ATI
card...in my experience ATI drivers tend to be buggier than Nvidia. I
may downgrade back to beta4 or maybe stick with the stable release.