OT: WinXP - how can i see whats starting up across the board?

mark | r

im irritated that every time i insert a cdrom i get a windows alert
informing me that some windows files are being overwritten, ive checked for
a virus and spyware and deleted every thing ive found to no avail.

i use MSconfig to see whats starting up and have cleared the RUN in the
registry folders of anything suspicios, but it still happens.

...oh and i cant get system32/services.msc to work, which i assume is an
associated problem :(

how can i see everything thats starting up when windows loads, and is there
a specific app or script that watches for a cd being inserted?

mark

Ray at

This is way too OT for an ASP group. Look for groups with "windowsxp" in
them.

Ray at work

Ray at

You're out of control, Mark Pipe R! :] You could try disabling autorun for
your CD ROM drive:
Right click CD drive in explorer.exe
Click properties
Autoplay tab
Choose "Select an action to perform"
Select "Take no action."

For your services.msc, what do you mean when you say you can't get it to
work? Do you get an error? What happens if you right click My computer,
click manage, and then try to access the services from within there?

Ray at work

mark | r

The auto run is disabled.

when i click manage i get an alert saying

"MMC cannot open the file d:\windows\system32\compmgmt.msc.

This is because the file does not exist, is not a mmc console, or was
created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have
sufficient access rights to the file"

the files there, but i cannt access it.

mark

Ray at said:
You're out of control, Mark Pipe R! :] You could try disabling autorun for
your CD ROM drive:
Right click CD drive in explorer.exe
Click properties
Autoplay tab
Choose "Select an action to perform"
Select "Take no action."

For your services.msc, what do you mean when you say you can't get it to
work? Do you get an error? What happens if you right click My computer,
click manage, and then try to access the services from within there?

Ray at work

mark | r said:
been there dont that, heard nowt :(

im not having a good time. thansk anyway

mark